5W-20 or 5W-30?

balncobra

TRMN8R
Established Member
Hey guys just wondering what oil to put in when i take the care out in the spring. I currently run Royal Purple 5W-20 synthetic but a mechanic friend of mine told me to run 5W-30. He said Ford used 5-20 to lower their cafe rating but its crap. He also said Amsoil outperformed any oil in all the breakdown tests. Feedback?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I would say that with this being your first post, you work for an oil manufacturer.

Amsoil maybe? :idea:

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
i use 5w-20 Royal Purple. Ive also heard that amsoil is the best but that price of $11.10 per quart is where i have a problem. Plus you have to order it online. If royal purple is second best then thats good enough for me.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
I have also heard that when someone changed the recommended grade of oil that stated from the factory.. is when the head tick begun!! Not specifically saying oil is what caused it but then again..who the hell knows.

I have stuck with 5-20 and i am at 84k miles.. I change my oil every 3000-3400 miles!!

balncobra

TRMN8R
Established Member
yeah, maybe I'll just stick with the 5-20........if it blows up i hope its before september while i still have warranty.

twhitey

Established Member
I stick with 5 20. I used mobile 1 but just switched to royal
purple after a few people recomended so.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I run 5w30 Mobil 1.... it comes out like water when it's hot..... I would never run 5w20, can't imagine how thin that must be.

My motor is silent other than injectors, and gearbox noise, when idling. Revs freely and without noise as well. 47K miles on it.

Albertico88

Established Member
i use 5w-20 Royal Purple. Ive also heard that amsoil is the best but that price of $11.10 per quart is where i have a problem. Plus you have to order it online. If royal purple is second best then thats good enough for me.

i use amsoil 0w-30 and i get it from car quest, they sell it to me for $7 a quart.

AaronK

Established Member
5w-20 Royal Purple. I would go with Amsoil but rp is cheaper and easier to get for me.

Savn4Mods

You serious Clark?
Established Member
Being an engineer myself and knowing how this type industry works...my thoughts are that if they recommend 5W-20 for your environment then that is what it should have. That being said....when you start modifying the vehicle....you are kinda on your own since the car was not designed for the increased power and torque.

As for the age old question of which brand of oil to run...seeing is believeing right? I have a buddy who bought his Mustang GT new in 2000. He ran Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-20 from about the 3rd oil change on. Serviced every 3000 miles no questions asked. Car was routinely raced and was a daily driver for the first 5 years or more with many bolt ons. At about 92k miles the oil pump gears went south (typical problem). Needless to say the motor came out. When we tore it down that thing looked like a machine shop had just put it together. Very very little varnish and Super clean! I was sold on Mobil 1 at that moment and I am a VERY hard person to sell on things. I use it in all my cars and it is definately more reasonably priced than some others and local parts stores sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread