500rwhp reliably?

Jsak

Established Member
Can a completly stock cobra handle 500rwhp reliably without having any issues or modifications done to it. If it cant, what kind of modifications is needed to have that kind of power without worrying about breaking something?

wlg101190

Established Member
Well it is going to at LEAST take a pulley and a port to even get to 500rwhp. To run safe, you will need a larger MAF, 60# injectors, Boost-A-Pump, heat exchanger, and I think that's about it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well it is going to at LEAST take a pulley and a port to even get to 500rwhp. To run safe, you will need a larger MAF (A MAF that won't peg at 5 volts at that air flow level or a Mafia - MAF extender) , 60# injectors, Boost-A-Pump, heat exchanger (optional, more related to run repeatability) and I think that's about it.

True:beer:
And a TUNE. The less power you ask for the more reliable it will remain.
The more power you attempt, the more supporting mods are required.
Driving and driving habits/style will also determine longevity.

Heat, and A/F lean outs, and too much timing for the boost/octane/load combination kills pistons, both can happen more easily during a hot 5th gear BANZAI RUN. You may not even know you are hot with the factory POS engine temp gauge.

I do 20 minute sessions with about 524RWHP. At TWS it sees about 5 to 6 seconds of WOT 5th gear. At MSR Houston no 5th gear at all. So far so good.

When it starts to get too hot I back off WOT and do a straight or two in 5th or 6th, in cool off mode (milking it) at only about 100.

I drive on the street a lot, but most of my mods are Open Track focused.
See mods on page 3 of link in sig.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Well it is going to at LEAST take a pulley and a port to even get to 500rwhp. To run safe, you will need a larger MAF, 60# injectors, Boost-A-Pump, heat exchanger, and I think that's about it.

Thats what he'll need to make the power.
To be able to put the power to the ground you need a set of drag radials (for the street).
Once the car hooks, you need a good clutch (26spl) and a 26spline input shaft. A diff brace would be pretty good insurance also.

With any boosted car, the tune is the key factor in engine longevity. Get it tuned by a pro and keep good gas in it.
A couple more things that are 03-04 Cobra specific:
1. Dont do any continuous high speed runs. (keep the WOT blasts for 1st through 4th gears)
2. Dont hot lap the car, let it cool between runs.
3. Axle hop is what kills most IRS parts. If you feel it start to hop, GET OUT OF TH GAS!
Contrary to what a lot of people may say or think, slicks will be easier on drivtrain parts than a set of drag radials (because they do not shock the drivetrain as bad as a DR).
If at all possible, get a set of track only wheels with ET Streets or ET Drags for the track and a set of DRs for the street.

If you can stick to theese things, the car should live at that power level for a very long time.:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pay attention to the above recommendations, don't neglect any recommended or required supporting mods, get a GOOD (and safe) tune with an A/F in the 11.4 - 11.7 range, and you will be pleasantly surprised at how reliable your motor will be. There are a lot of folks here making 500+rwhp. And many drive their Cobras every day. Kind of hard not to. LOL!

04RiceEater

Established Member
I have 500+ and have no problems so far. Im looking into a KB and my car is daily driven. It is all about the tune and how hard you get on it. As stated above stay out of booost in 5th and 6th, when do you ever need to do over 145 anyway?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have 500+ and have no problems so far. Im looking into a KB and my car is daily driven. It is all about the tune and how hard you get on it. As stated above stay out of booost in 5th and 6th, when do you ever need to do over 145 anyway?

At TWS running counter clockwise, when I'm trying to catch someone.:-D
I have not run clockwise yet, but CW is even faster, probably over 150.:eek:

My open track A/F is almost 10 to one. 11.2 to 10.9
I use almost a gallon a lap on the 2.9 mile course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread