500lbs of torque+stock halfshafts+wheel hop=boom.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I had a blast yesterday. I hadn't run my car at the track in a while and it was my first time with my new clutch. Well I learned that my clutch holds pretty well. My burn out was pathetic not having done it in a while and I didn't get my tires heated enough. I launched at around 3500 which I consider conservative since I was use to launching at around 4000-4500 rpms. My old clutch would slip some though. Long story short, I launched, hopped a bit and then, 500lbs of torque + stock halfshafts + wheel hop = boom. The track was still cold, and I should have let off. You live, and you learn.

Thank you everyone that pitched in and helped me get my car back up and running. Special thanks to Bill(Wiseguy) for the excellent work in helping me replace the halfshaft. There's a reason he is the only mechanic I will take my cars to :) Thanks to Carlos for hooking me up with one of his spare halfshafts. I put it to good use getting three more runs in. Thanks you also to those of you that helped me push my car back to the parking lot from the track. I broke my halfshaft and before I knew it there were like 5 MACA members ready to push me back to the lot. You guys rock.

First run I went around the water box and just left from idle. With cold tires I hopped through first and second gear and I let off both times because I didn't want a repeat of earlier that day. I ran a 13.666 with like a 2.6 60 ft. hehehe. I then entered the bracket racing and one the first round with a dial in of 12.50, running a 12.525. Second round I ran a 12.32 with a dial in of 12.25 but the other guy was closer. I was leaving from a little bit above idle on these runs and they were all back to back. Overall I felt good about the car. It felt strong and seemed to hold boost pretty well down the track. She's still got 11s in her, I just need to get some beefed up halfshafts so I can start launching again. My 60fts were all above 2 seconds since I wasn't launching.

Overall I had a great time. Thanks again to everyone involved in getting my snake back up and running. We really have a great group of people in MACA.

Last edited:

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
Hey no problem Omar,i'm glad everything worked out for you and were able to make more passes.great seeing again in the beast of yours thumbs up on the VERTS!!

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
That was the first time I had seen a broken half shaft. Boy does that make a mess. And with that much of a mess, the person fixxing it can't help but bathe in all the muck. Billy looked like he had a good ole' time playing in it once all was said and done!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Antex said:
Dwight's used that 36mm more than once...:rolling:
Yeah, best $9.95 I ever spent. Hope not to have to use it again, but probably will. :burnout: Omar busted up his driver's side shaft as well, but he had an official "track cleanup" with his cause of the green goop. I was lucky.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
So they don't always spew like that?
Sorry for being ignorant, but my solid axle handles all 100+hp I can get through it. :lol1:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
gcassidy said:
So they don't always spew like that?
Sorry for being ignorant, but my solid axle handles all 100+hp I can get through it. :lol1:

Nope, they don't always spew like that. The rubber boot on the halfshaft split open, just my luck. Solid axle has no joints to break. Lucky for you. Personally I love the IRS though and would rather beef it up than get a solid. I had a 95 gt with a solid so I've experienced both. That green goop definitely made amess of things, including Billy.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
The aftermath. The rubber boot behind the rotor is what tore and also where mine broke.
612421245_bb656cc34b_o.jpg

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I think we all shed a small tear for you when you snapped the half shaft. The good thing is Darryl and I got a good leg work out.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Great comeback, Omar!

That was the worst mess I've ever seen. I'll never forget the sight of Billy getting his ENTIRE body inside that filthy wheel well, trying to get that stubborn hub off. MACA rocks!!!

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Glad to hear things worked out somewhat decent in the end. I was surprised to hear that you still had some wheel hop to break the shafts even with the upgraded IRS bushings.. Makes me sad knowing I just spent $650 on some.

IronTerp

AngelOreo said:
Glad to hear things worked out somewhat decent in the end. I was surprised to hear that you still had some wheel hop to break the shafts even with the upgraded IRS bushings.. Makes me sad knowing I just spent $650 on some.
Well, there's a lot more to wheel hop than just bushings or any other single factor for that matter. I broke mine 4 weeks ago because of improper rear shock adjustment and had no hop yesterday in any of my six runs.

The problem is that many MACA folks do not race their Cobras at the track for fear of half shaft breakage. And I, of all people, totally understand this, because I was one of them for a long while!!!!! But, it's not a difficult repair to make and the nice thing about these rentals is there is always resources to make the repair happen and drive the car home, no problem. The MACA has 6 organized track events this year and being stranded at the track for half shaft breakage at one of these events is VERY unlikely. Come on out!!!

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
AngelOreo said:

Front & Rear Aluminum Differential bushings are key and I'm 100% convinced more than anything else have help get me through my 5th year of racing with zero carnage. For my 1st 3.5 years stock halfshafts & no pumpkin brace, switching between DR's & MT ET Streets, then I added the level 5's for insurance...Your best deterrent is a soft sidewall tire...:burnout:

Last edited:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
IronTerp said:
Well, there's a lot more to wheel hop than just bushings or any other single factor for that matter. I broke mine 4 weeks ago because of improper rear shock adjustment and had no hop yesterday in any of my six runs.

The problem is that many MACA folks do not race their Cobras at the track for fear of half shaft breakage. And I, of all people, totally understand this, because I was one of them for a long while!!!!! But, it's not a difficult repair to make and the nice thing about these rentals is there is always resources to make the repair happen and drive the car home, no problem. The MACA has 6 organized track events this year and being stranded at the track for half shaft breakage at one of these events is VERY unlikely. Come on out!!!

Dwight

You hit the nail on the head about not running and being afraid of breaking down. After seeing what happened to Omar, I'll probably run next time! Billy and Carlos saved the day and gave me more reassurance about running. On the way home I kept thinking that I should have just gave it a shot!

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Not trying to hijack.. but just how hard IS a half shaft replacement? Do we have a how to so I can print it out just in case the day comes..

once again.. forgive the sidetrack..

IronTerp

zaxjax said:
After seeing what happened to Omar, I'll probably run next time! Billy and Carlos saved the day and gave me more reassurance about running. On the way home I kept thinking that I should have just gave it a shot!
I used to have two spares and would bring both to the track: one for me and one for whoever in the club would need it. TRBO V ended up needing the spare. Maybe I'll try and scrounge up another spare to bring and then on days that I'm at the track the availabilty for others will be there.

Jimmy, not difficult at all. Always helps to watch someone do it first to give you an idea. There's directions out there but I've never seen any that i would follow exactly. Maybe TV can do a "How To" with pics for the Terminator forum next time he does one.........;-)

TRBO VNM

hahaha, thanks Dwight.

I have 2 broken here at the house. I believe they can be put together for 1 good one, I need to check. I might have given those to the guy who bought my other IRS.

Users who are viewing this thread