500lbs of torque+stock halfshafts+wheel hop=boom.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
VirtualSVT said:
The first one hurts.

After that its kinda funny.
You know, sorta yes, sorta no. I have always been worried/distracted about breaking one and it didn't ruin my track days, but was certainly on the back of my mind. When mine went, I kinda felt: well it finally happened! Now, it doesn't bother me and I can let it fly and should still be able to drive home.....unless soemthing else breaks!!

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Same here, when mine broke I knew it right away. The stock halfshafts are strong, but when you hit them with like 500 ft/lbs of torque when they were made to handle like 400 and some bad wheel hop, you can only expect so much from them. It's part of racing. As you saw, I went right back after it happened and ran three more times, granted I wasn't launching at 4000 rpms like I usually do, but I felt it out and corrected my mistake. When I felt hop I let off. Also I made sure my tires were well heated before I even ran it hard.

To replace you have to
1. Jack up the car and take the wheel off
2. Remove brake caliper/piston, e-brake line
3. Remove the 36mm nut in the center of the wheel hub.
4. Loosen up the shock so that you can pass the half shaft through, also may need to unfasten tie rod.
5. Pull out the half shaft at either end and then replace with new halfshaft and put everything back together.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread