500 HP on a 99-01 Cobra?

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
OFF TOPIC sorry

Double"O"
Intercooled Kenne Bell 1.7L Twin Screw = 438RWHP/405RWTQ Blown @ 9.5 psi (mustang dyno)

Damn i thought the numbers for the 1.7 kbell at 9.5 would be a lot higher...
Im still jealous, you do have a kbell, but do you ever regret that purchase and wish you went with a centrifical ?
Just curious.. Thanks

blk96SVT

Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
OFF TOPIC sorry

Double"O"
Intercooled Kenne Bell 1.7L Twin Screw = 438RWHP/405RWTQ Blown @ 9.5 psi (mustang dyno)

Im still jealous, you do have a kbell, but do you ever regret that purchase and wish you went with a centrifical ?
Just curious.. Thanks

He has a very safe tune with the stock bottom end

onebad99cobra

Established Member
i got my cobra for CHEAP 13 grand and its a convertible with 38K on her, never wrecked :) I'm in school and my payments are 295 a month. you can afford it trust me, just remember when your working your balls off, when you get home, she'll be in the garage waiting for you, and that makes it all worth while :pepper:

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Double"O" said:
Maybe you should pay your own insurance and student loans first and then get a Cobra

Or you could do what i did and pay for your wifes education and a Cobra at the same time...Man i was debt free until i met her

Just my 2 cents
No offense, but that's why I don't tell the whole story, because then people are like "OMGOMG you're a bitch that lives off your parents, you asshole" (at least that's how I took it, and if thats not what you meant.. sorry)

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
onebad99cobra said:
i got my cobra for CHEAP 13 grand and its a convertible with 38K on her, never wrecked :) I'm in school and my payments are 295 a month. you can afford it trust me, just remember when your working your balls off, when you get home, she'll be in the garage waiting for you, and that makes it all worth while :pepper:
Sweet! My payments are going to be able 250.. and when I'm not paying for much of anything else.. it's going to be easy.. I already work my ass of right now.. not going to be a big change once I move =p

Thanks for the encouragement :rockon:

99 svtcobra

Sprayed_Pony said:
you say you have a 99 V6 right?

you have the perfect platform, buy a 4v motor (5.4 or 4.6) build it little by little, get the heads ported, cams, intake ported, buy headers, etc. etc. etc. little by little build up a monster, then when you finally have everything for the swap, drop it in

if you want the "cobra" look, there are tons of cobra body parts for sale across the mustang boards, if you want the IRS you can find them very cheaply as well, point im getting at, is to transform your V6 you'll save a lot of money, and have cheap insurance, its the same exact car, just different options

Give it the cobra look? :bash: Keep it a sleeper. Have a cobra engine a v6 body is the total sleeper speically if you buy a blower for it. NO on will see it coming (only Hear it)lol

cobrafan

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
OFF TOPIC sorry

Double"O"

Just curious.. Thanks

No not at all i love the low end grunt of the Twin screw....As for the numbers yeah they are low. KB promised 460ish with 7.5psi i made 405 at the that level on a dynojet or within 1HP of the other KB 99/01s at the that boost level....I also i have a conservative tune being that i have a stock bottom end.

The reason i picked the KB over the Centri was i wanted low end TQ (which is what the 99/01s need IHMO) i made 400RWTQ at 3800rpm average RWTQ accross the powerband was 383...i can't complain about that

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Ebear...i wasn't trying to flame...i was just being honest with you...a cobra will always be there. I just think school is more important that a car at your age...

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Double"O" said:
Ebear...i wasn't trying to flame...i was just being honest with you...a cobra will always be there. I just think school is more important that a car at your age...
You're right, school is important... but my parents are paying for it, so I have other things to spend my money on.

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
cobrafanforever said:
Give it the cobra look? :bash: Keep it a sleeper. Have a cobra engine a v6 body is the total sleeper speically if you buy a blower for it. NO on will see it coming (only Hear it)lol

cobrafan
The thing is, having a sleeper is cool and all, but having a COBRA a real ****ing SVT COBRA, it's like a status symbol.. hard to explain.. but Yeh

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Double"O" said:
KB promised 460ish with 7.5psi i made 405 at the that level on a dynojet or within 1HP of the other KB 99/01s at the that boost level....I also i have a conservative tune being that i have a stock bottom end.

The reason i picked the KB over the Centri was i wanted low end TQ (which is what the 99/01s need IHMO) i made 400RWTQ at 3800rpm average RWTQ accross the powerband was 383...i can't complain about that

COMPLETELY Agree!!!!
I love the idea of a kbell but 6k is crazy scrilla....
I figured for 3k for blower and 400 for 3.90s Id have the gear for down low and the boost for middle to top end
Is that a reasonable thought?

twinturbocobra

Established Member
Building up your motor so you can stick a blower on it and make a billion RWHP is flat out stupid. You said it yourself, your first car is a 2000 V6 and you just got into cars. A cobra with a catback will make you shit yourself the first time you get on it, and is more than enough to hurt yourself in. Jumping from a V6 to a stock cobra, then from a stock cobra to 500+ RWHP is only going to end up with it in a ditch because you can't pick up a car like that and expect to learn how to handle all that power. I wish I had a video of when my car was single turbo. 530 RWHP, 1-3 was all over the road on warm nitto drag radials. It'll spin from a 60 kick without even going full throttle. I've had a fast (400+ rwhp) car consistently for the past 6 or 7 years and it's still a righteous handful on the street. My first fast car was a 92 Notch with the stock motor, an S-trim @ 13 psi, full exhaust, and a good clutch. 415 RWHP and 395 RWTQ. I wrapped that around a telephone pole and broke my ankles within a couple months of having it because I just dove right in and was stupid with it.

If you can save up and buy a cobra, go for it. Do some mods like gears, exhaust, etc. Try out a blower, like a Novi 2K at 7 psi or something modest like that, you don't need to jump right into a built motor and tons of boost, that's only asking for trouble. You said it yourself, having a cobra is a status symbol to you, and what are you going to do with a blown cobra? More than likely act stupid and try and show off with it, and more power just multiplies the danger exponentially.

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
twinturbocobra said:
Building up your motor so you can stick a blower on it and make a billion RWHP is flat out stupid. You said it yourself, your first car is a 2000 V6 and you just got into cars. A cobra with a catback will make you shit yourself the first time you get on it, and is more than enough to hurt yourself in. Jumping from a V6 to a stock cobra, then from a stock cobra to 500+ RWHP is only going to end up with it in a ditch because you can't pick up a car like that and expect to learn how to handle all that power. I wish I had a video of when my car was single turbo. 530 RWHP, 1-3 was all over the road on warm nitto drag radials. It'll spin from a 60 kick without even going full throttle. I've had a fast (400+ rwhp) car consistently for the past 6 or 7 years and it's still a righteous handful on the street. My first fast car was a 92 Notch with the stock motor, an S-trim @ 13 psi, full exhaust, and a good clutch. 415 RWHP and 395 RWTQ. I wrapped that around a telephone pole and broke my ankles within a couple months of having it because I just dove right in and was stupid with it.

If you can save up and buy a cobra, go for it. Do some mods like gears, exhaust, etc. Try out a blower, like a Novi 2K at 7 psi or something modest like that, you don't need to jump right into a built motor and tons of boost, that's only asking for trouble. You said it yourself, having a cobra is a status symbol to you, and what are you going to do with a blown cobra? More than likely act stupid and try and show off with it, and more power just multiplies the danger exponentially.

You're right, as I stated earlier I kind of worded my introduction completely wrong, Im probably going, Intake / Full Exhaust / Gears / Shifter / Stereo... waiting until engine accumulates miles or I get $, then rebuilding.. then adding something else down the line.. either a 100-125 or 150 shot, or a supercharger..

I appreciate your concern though =0

And also, by status symbol, I don't mean like showing off and throwing money in peoples face status symbol kind of thing.. it's just... it's an SVT, it's not a normal mustang.. it's something special..

Last edited:

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
500 Rwhp

The Cobras wre not designed for 500rwhp. To use this kind of power you probably need new tranny, beefier (sp?) rear gears, spline, stiffer clutch and a much stiffer and lowered suspension. So it is not just the cost of the s/c (say installed is 6-8 k) it is also the cost of all these other modifications (probably another 10-12k). I believe to get to a car that with handle well at 500 hp you are looking at 20k. And remember that the first ticket you get on the highway for +100 mph will probably cost you 3-5 k over five years in insurance. My car is equiped with the KB non-ico and puts down a very conservative 380 rwhp. This kind of power will easily get you sideways in the road in a light rain.

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
mlccar said:
The Cobras wre not designed for 500rwhp. To use this kind of power you probably need new tranny, beefier (sp?) rear gears, spline, stiffer clutch and a much stiffer and lowered suspension. So it is not just the cost of the s/c (say installed is 6-8 k) it is also the cost of all these other modifications (probably another 10-12k). I believe to get to a car that with handle well at 500 hp you are looking at 20k. And remember that the first ticket you get on the highway for +100 mph will probably cost you 3-5 k over five years in insurance. My car is equiped with the KB non-ico and puts down a very conservative 380 rwhp. This kind of power will easily get you sideways in the road in a light rain.
Yeh, I've heard, I better rethink my mods... I think im going to go n/a for a while, beef up suspension etc, and drop in a supercharger later...

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
ebear said:
The thing is, having a sleeper is cool and all, but having a COBRA a real ****ing SVT COBRA, it's like a status symbol.. hard to explain.. but Yeh

I know what you're saying, but it sounds like you're in it for a lot of the wrong reasons. You mind me asking your age? Also remember...the parts themselves cost money, and even more to have them installed. I just presume you won't be doing much of that yourself. If you're a teen going to school, get your Cobra and do some decent modifications to it, nothing extreme. No sense in spending the money you earn in a 500whp car when you should really be saving for your future. Pull your head out of your ass and do what's best for you. :beer:

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
twinturbocobra said:

This guy is absolutely right. You'll be shaking shittin' bricks when you jump into a Cobra from a v6.

To your interest in nitrous/blower...nitrous would be a better solution for a daily driven car, but a blower might be better for someone like you. If you no longer want natural aspiration, and you're set on that...might want to lean towards a blower. I say this because you could have it professionally installed and tuned to a mild setting, and it would be something you could addapt to after driving it for a while. Nitrous is something that you should be educated before using. There are plenty of precautions you can take with nitrous, and is perfectly safe to an experienced user, but can be potentially harmful for your car. Case in point: if I were to mention the term "Window Switch" to you, you would probably have never heard of one.

BTW: I wouldn't recommend either to you until you're familiar with your car.

EDIT-Nitrous can be potentially harmful to YOUR car with YOU operating. Need to make this clear for those about to try to give us a seminar on how nitrous is perfectly safe. I know... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

isdnmatt

Established Member
I love my blower and it makes just enough power. You had to beef up just about every part of the car to get it to this point, but it's worth it. Next is built motor and more boost. Whatever you do, don't buy a 99-01 KB kit.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread