500 HP on a 99-01 Cobra?

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
I'm going to buy a 99-01 Cobra next summer (unless I can find a Mach 1 for 15) and I want to know how hard it is to get this car to 500 rwhp?

Right when I get the car, Im going to get the engine rebuilt with better internals, new cams etc, and full exhaust, gears and a short throw shifter.. I don't know How much horsepower it will make, but It's all good, so my question is.. after these mods what should I do? Supercharge? and also, this car is going to be my daily driver, hence when I decided to get a Cobra, because of the comfort of IRS, and I would like to know of having IRS is a big issue with 500 rwhp, or it only really becomes a problem when launching with bigger horsepower?

I'm probbaly just rambling... but o_O

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Blower or juice.. and the IRS is great for a DD, and is fine even with that kind of power if you do not launch insane should hold up just fine... MY 2 cents

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
Blower or juice.. and the IRS is great for a DD, and is fine even with that kind of power if you do not launch insane should hold up just fine... MY 2 cents
Thanks for the input, I just started getting into cars a few months before I got mine (2000 v6) and now I really want a Cobra, and I'll easily be able to afford one.. thanks for the info on IRS

edit

Also, your car is sick looking, thats the Cobra R hood? is it the ones with the cut-outs type things, or the one that just looks like a cowl hood?

Last edited:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Hay I am all for the 99/01s and especially some one making 500HP. But if you want it right out of the gate you will save money by getting an 03. You can get that thing to 500HP a lot easer and it already has a built motor and a 6 speed. Hell if you look you could probably find a 500HP Kenne Bell-ed 03 for sale. But if you want to do it with a 99/01 go for it.

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Snake Eyes said:
Hay I am all for the 99/01s and especially some one making 500HP. But if you want it right out of the gate you will save money by getting an 03. You can get that thing to 500HP a lot easer and it already has a built motor and a 6 speed. Hell if you look you could probably find a 500HP Kenne Bell-ed 03 for sale. But if you want to do it with a 99/01 go for it.
even, though I said "right when I get the car"
I wasn't thinking straight, that's alot of money

These plans aren't happening in a few days =0

I'm going to buy the Cobra, probably put full exhaust/shifter on it.
Gears
Engine Rebuild
Power Adder

I can't afford the price of an 03 Cobra =(

Last edited:

NXSVTCOBRA

you say you have a 99 V6 right?

you have the perfect platform, buy a 4v motor (5.4 or 4.6) build it little by little, get the heads ported, cams, intake ported, buy headers, etc. etc. etc. little by little build up a monster, then when you finally have everything for the swap, drop it in

if you want the "cobra" look, there are tons of cobra body parts for sale across the mustang boards, if you want the IRS you can find them very cheaply as well, point im getting at, is to transform your V6 you'll save a lot of money, and have cheap insurance, its the same exact car, just different options

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
Sprayed_Pony said:
you say you have a 99 V6 right?

you have the perfect platform, buy a 4v motor (5.4 or 4.6) build it little by little, get the heads ported, cams, intake ported, buy headers, etc. etc. etc. little by little build up a monster, then when you finally have everything for the swap, drop it in

if you want the "cobra" look, there are tons of cobra body parts for sale across the mustang boards, if you want the IRS you can find them very cheaply as well, point im getting at, is to transform your V6 you'll save a lot of money, and have cheap insurance, its the same exact car, just different options
Yes, but I'm going to get a Loan for the Cobra.

inzane99

Inzane SVT Poster
Established Member
ebear said:

If you qualify for a car loan you just might qualify for a signature loan and be able to do what Sprayed_Pony suggested. Thats what I would do.

Good Luck!!!!

cobraracer46

Banned
ebear said:
You say that you can afford a used Cobra, but you admit that you are going to finance the car, so in reality you dont have the cash to buy one out right and on top of that you plan to go even deeper in debt for your self by spending alot of money on mods instead of paying off your car loan. I'm guessing that you are under 25, so insurance will make your car payment look like chicken feed. Maby you should hold off on your cobra purchase untill you can really afford it and keep driving your v6 mustang. :burnout: :burnout:

NXSVTCOBRA

inzane001 said:
If you qualify for a car loan you just might qualify for a signature loan and be able to do what Sprayed_Pony suggested. Thats what I would do.

Good Luck!!!!
i was thinking the same, but i opted to keep my mouth shut ;-)

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Unfair comment. Granted if you are over 25 insurance is cheaper, but if your a responsible driver you pay a good rate.... My Cobra insurance is 125 a month... 700 for 6 months....

Theres a high mileage'd cobra on here for 9800 bucks... that would be a good one to get to do what your talkin about....
Just another idea...
A Complete Drive train for an 03/04 with 20k on it for like 8000... That would be a hella nice swap over heres the link.... http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27624

DJ HEARTLESS

THE OFFICIAL
Established Member
ebear said:
I'm going to buy a 99-01 Cobra next summer (unless I can find a Mach 1 for 15) and I want to know how hard it is to get this car to 500 rwhp?

Right when I get the car, Im going to get the engine rebuilt with better internals, new cams etc, and full exhaust, gears and a short throw shifter.. I don't know How much horsepower it will make, but It's all good, so my question is.. after these mods what should I do? Supercharge? and also, this car is going to be my daily driver, hence when I decided to get a Cobra, because of the comfort of IRS, and I would like to know of having IRS is a big issue with 500 rwhp, or it only really becomes a problem when launching with bigger horsepower?

I'm probbaly just rambling... but o_O

EASY.....500hp
but I don't agree with some of the guys here I purchased my 99 cobra for 13,000 out the door it included tax and financing I gave half down and financed the rest for 1 1/2 years and that was a about a year ago
if you an 03 cobra or 04 your going to be paying at least 30,000 and above and thats including financing and taxes and thats not mentioning the insurance it's going to be higher
On a v6 no matter how much you mod that car your insurance is not going to cover upgrades TRUST ME I KNOW the most they pay is about $500 in up grades. then if you want to get coverd your paying a sh*t load extra just to cover your mods to the car and thats if the insurance doesn't have a limit!!!
so if you go v6 plan on not being coverd on your money hope you don't crash your car or get jack :??:

example :idea:

v6 mustang you have allready $8,000-maybe up to 20,000.....but your making a unrealistic ins. payment not a good daily driverand good luck on smog :nono:

99-01 cobra $8,000-17,000 plus 3,000-7,000 to mod depends on you( no interest on mods and you can take your time and insurance is normal)

03-04 cobra $20,000-30,000 ( not including taxes and financing )500-2,000 to get 500hp and your insurance is going to higher than a 99-01 cobra :bored:

and thats why I got my 99 cobra when you make no payments on a car the SKY 's the limit really think about what your move is going to be :idea:

just my three cents

Last edited:

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
Insuring a v6 to Cobra clone could get tricky. Yes they will insure the vehicle for a lesser rate but they are also only obligated to replace what they insured. So if the car is stolen and they rip that nice built motor out and the body is recovered, your policy would be for a v6 motor, not a v8.

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
You say that you can afford a used Cobra, but you admit that you are going to finance the car, so in reality you dont have the cash to buy one out right and on top of that you plan to go even deeper in debt for your self by spending alot of money on mods instead of paying off your car loan. I'm guessing that you are under 25, so insurance will make your car payment look like chicken feed. Maby you should hold off on your cobra purchase untill you can really afford it and keep driving your v6 mustang. :burnout: :burnout:

Ah but, I'm in a very lucky situation, In all reality I could save a bit longer and buy the car outright (I may even do so depending on the money situation). But my situation is different I'm a little pampered, as in.. My parents are paying for my apartment/college + 200$ a month for other stuff, they pay my insurance.. the only thing I'm paying in insurance is what the increase is going to be (not much since they've been with the company lots of years, and its not my own policy blah blah blah) I have done the math, and will be able to afford AND mod the car, the reason I will probably get a loan is, if I put down a few grand + 10,000$ loan (or whatever) , Since I'll only be bale a couple hundred a month, I will be able to put more money into the car. I've thought about keeping the V6 alot, I have a few mods and was even going to buy a supercharger this summer (I have about 5grand) but I'm going to move so I decided not to.. But once again I'm rambling... peace ;-)

ebear

Ricer Tail Lights!
Established Member
lasercobra said:
Insuring a v6 to Cobra clone could get tricky. Yes they will insure the vehicle for a lesser rate but they are also only obligated to replace what they insured. So if the car is stolen and they rip that nice built motor out and the body is recovered, your policy would be for a v6 motor, not a v8.
Yep, happened to my buddy with a 240sx and a DET swap (or whatever that engine is called)

They gave him value of his car + 600$ or something (the value of the car was less then 2000$, so he got majorly ****ed over)

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Maybe you should pay your own insurance and student loans first and then get a Cobra

Or you could do what i did and pay for your wifes education and a Cobra at the same time...Man i was debt free until i met her

Just my 2 cents

Users who are viewing this thread