5% window tint? Good or bad idea?

Adam03GT

Established Member
Hi, so i am a long time viewer but seldomly post here on the forums.

Anyways, i have a 03 DSG Mach 1 and its about time to put some better window tint on it and i think 5% would look amazing however, i have had several people tell me it is a terrible idea due to visibility issues.

Anyone have any pics of thier car with 5%? Is it really too dark? Please share your experiences with 5% tint.

MANbearPIG11

super cereal
Established Member
ive had 5% on some of my cars and its not bad, if you live in a suburban area or somewhere with street lights and stuff your fine but if your out in the boonies id maybe stay away from it. I actually have %5 on the back 3 windows and the two side windows are at %15 and its nice. The biggest thing with %5 tint is make sure you use quality tint, 3m tint is more transparent from the inside than an off brand, ive actually had someone show me two windows side by side with nice and shitty tint and you can defn see better through a better tint.

LGHTNG02GT

Established Member
i had a '95 ranger with 5% all the way around. dont do it, its too dark. in the day its fine and it looks bad ass but wait til you try to back up at night. you'll wish you didnt have 5% anymore. do 20%. thats what i got on my '02 GT and on my '04 Ranger

Stevo151

Established Member
i have a silver 2000 gt that has 2 1/2% on the rear windows and 22% on the sides and i wish i went a lil darker on the sides but it looks good

Last edited:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
My old Mustang had 5% on the rear window, and quarter glass, and 20% on the side windows, and I saw fine out of both at night with no issues, and it looked killer!

Adam03GT

Established Member
5% is really that bad? I have only driven cars with 15% so i really dont know.

As far as quality, im getting it done at a place that has done window tint for the past 10+ years and gives a lifetime warranty with every job done so i am not worried about it.

Zak Attack

Huge Member
Established Member
Oh I love 5%

Capture.png

YellowShaker03

I Am Black Jesus
Established Member
Had 5% on my back 3 windows on my last car and didn't have any big issues. Yes it is dark but thats the point, just exercise some common sense at night and when backing up and you won't have any issues. In my honest opinion 15% is the lightest I would ever consider on a rear window, I'd be happier with 10% but for it to be perfect (for me) its 5% on the back and 15 or 20% on the sides.

Jroc

Established Member
Had 5% on my old Integra GSR. Hated it even though it looks pretty on the outside.

I have 20% on my Cobra. Like it alot more than I did 5%. Much easier to see out of at night, even though many times I still have to roll a window or two down to see whats behind me when backing up.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i have 5 and u can still see thru it alot of times. in the day light of course.
i'm about to add a layer of 2.5 behind it.. i like my tint blacked out. 1/4 windows i'm putting solid black vinyl on them instead of tint.

Z28

Established Member
If I were you I would do 5 percent on just your back window and 20 percent on all four of your side windows. Having the 5 on just the back will make the 20 look darker than it is while still having good visibility out of your side windows at night.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I've been there and done that. It really affected my visibility [in a truck anyway], especially when backing out of parking spots. It was more of a hassle than anything else.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
I've been there and done that. It really affected my visibility [in a truck anyway], especially when backing out of parking spots. It was more of a hassle than anything else.

Mine is double tinted in the back, I love it when its sunny. When its dark, I roll down my windows or open the slide window when im backing up.
5% tint FTW

Heres a rear shot

IMG_6754.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread