5.bros and boss's don't road race your hellion TT

Armageddon

Established Member
On EXTREME applications (boats, endurance racing, low ignition timing/high boost) and ***Assuming there is sufficient clearance*** between the down-pipe and the valve and coil covers we recommend installing these

External Link: http://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Products-130614-Inferno-Inconel/dp/B002UPL64W

The trick is to install stainless stand-offs between the down-pipe and the heat shield. Direct contact with the down-pipe itself will eventually make these shields as hot as the downpipe surface without an airgap between the pipe and the shield.
The important thing is that your insulation goes as follows:

Down-pipe
|
Airgap
|
Heat-Shield
|
Airgap
|
Coil Cover

index.php

svtshadow

Banned
Dear 5.0Bros & BosBros

He should have swapped to auto. Auto's cool the turbo pipes!

Sincerely Cobro!

Last edited:

afro

Why?
Established Member
I'm kind of surprised it just didn't overheat w/that big ass intercooler sitting in front of the radiator. I always questioned that since these turbo kits started coming out. It may be fine on the street, but I'm surprised it does/doesn't work under road course conditions in this summer heat. Looks like that may also be true for other components of the kit.

HELLION TURBO

Hello,

We are following up to our previous post concerning the melted coil covers. Our company has never seen this situation before, so we looked into what could be different about this vehicle vs. our other customer vehicles. We have numerous road race cars, drag cars, and Texas mile cars, all of which to our knowledge, have never had this issue. We have tested all of our vehicles bare with no heat wrap, and the system performed well and did not have any heat issues. We send Heatshield Products Lava wrap standard in all systems, to add insurance and a clean look to the hot side piping. Ceramic coating is an additional option, and we offer it in several colors/finishes. This will contain heat to an additional level, all based on customer desire. We always ask the intended purpose of the car with the kit upon sale, and if extreme duty is involved, we recommend ceramic coating the hot side. We were not aware that this customer was going to road race this vehicle, so no extra recommendation was made.

We are always looking to improve our systems, so we have designed an extreme heat shield solution (see attached images).
These heat shields secure to the engine and will protect the coil covers, as well as the cam covers. Although we do not believe that they are necessary on all applications, we are going to supply them standard in all Eliminator kits from here forward, and we will offer them at no charge to all of our existing customers who would like them.

The safety of our customers is our top priority, and therefore we designed an extreme duty heat solution as soon as we were informed of this situation.

If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to send us a message or contact us at 505-873-4670.

Thank you,

Team Hellion

Attachments

• Eliminator heat shields 006.jpg
    Eliminator heat shields 006.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 839
  • Eliminator heat shields 013.jpg
    Eliminator heat shields 013.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 877
  • Eliminator heat shields 015.jpg
    Eliminator heat shields 015.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 820
  • Eliminator heat shields 016.jpg
    Eliminator heat shields 016.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 852

Coiled03

Established Member
Best thing about this thread is the responsiveness from Hellion.

Well played.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Damn, that's pretty badass. Just another reason why I'm glad I went with the Hellion kit. John and Jeff are absolutely top notch

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Now go ahead and compare this thread with the Amazon tuning thread. Hellion just won a customer here.

Service is what a business model should be based off of.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
My original post was never to bash them as I was one of the first people to buy a hellion TT kit and to post an install thread on this hellion kit. Almost a 30 page thread. They were always very quick to answer my questions. It just I had received the photos from a fellow firefighter I work with and I felt it was a need to post. Never meant to be a hate thread.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
My original post was never to bash them as I was one of the first people to buy a hellion TT kit and to post an install thread on this hellion kit. Almost a 30 page thread. They were always very quick to answer my questions. It just I had received the photos from a fellow firefighter I work with and I felt it was a need to post. Never meant to be a hate thread.

I don't think anybody took it that way buddy. Plus when it comes to this thread anyway it looks like it helped more than hurt.

MFE

Established Member

Well played.

No shit. Can you imagine if this was Granatelli? mumble mumble never happened to us mumble user error mumble mumble hey zero-resistance coil wires!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member

+1 I don't think anyone took it that way. Good info and everyone wins in the end. I call that a success

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
For once this thread delivers without any bashing.

dbotkin

Established Member

Well played.

Just read through this entire thread and completely agree. It's nice to see when a company cares about its product and its customers AFTER the sale has been made. Great customer service Hellion!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I know this is gonna start a flame fest… but anyways…

This is why I bought my Shelby. Back when I was racing my Truck, I most of went through every piece of the drive train replacing busted parts at one point or the other… When you heavily modify a car not designed for a TT set up you end up with this kind of stuff happening. melted Valve Covers might seem minor BUT… imagine what that heat is doing to the Valve Train… say you get some sexy new valve covers that DONT melt… can the Coyote handle that kind of heat DIRECTLY ADJACENT to the cams, springs etc?

you hear people say, "**** paying 70K on a shelby!"

Well, I know I paid 58,000 for mine. and its far from bare bones. you can easily get a 13-14 Shelby in the 50s if you shop around. is that a lot of money for a car? Sure it is. but what are you getting in return?

662hp from the Factory. 1500$ later you end up with over 700hp/700tq at your wheels and more fun than you know what to do with and a car that is DESIGNED to handle the power.

Love the 5.0s, Love the Boss.. In fact I keep kicking around the idea of getting a Laguna version for a track car. but these cars are NOT designed for certain set ups. I would say they need to address the position of that turbo.

You're right. Adding turbos to a car not designed from the OEM for them does cause complications and increases risk of problems - just like any modification does. It takes money, and lots of it to properly install a turbo setup on these cars (See D3's build of FordTT500's car in the GT500 section. That is a 100% proper turbo setup, which I'm sure came with a price tag close to, if not more than what you paid for your car) - much more than just calling up a vendor and ordering a turbo kit. That sort of thing may work fine for a street car, but not when the car is going to be pushed as we've seen here. If you're constantly breaking parts, then you are just finding weak points in your setup. You have to pay to play - either pony up and do it right the first time, or spend time and money replacing part after part down the road. You may be fine with only 700 horsepower which is fine, but some of us aren't and are wiling to spend the time and money to make a big power setup work reliably.

Hellion has more than adequately addressed the this issue, as I imagine they would for any other problem that arises.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread