5/30/16 Take a moment and remember...

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
While your with your family today where ever you are, what ever you may believe, whoever it may be, take time to remember and pay respect for the sacrifice made by men and women throughout the history of the United States that gave their lives so that we could have freedom. Then take one more moment to remember the families/friends who mourned the loss of these hero's and remember them as well.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
decoration-day-190x300.jpg

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in service of the United States of America. Over two dozen cities and towns claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it’s difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day.

Regardless of the exact date or location of its origins, one thing is clear – Memorial Day was borne out of the Civil War and a desire to honor our dead. It was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed. The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle.

Red Poppies:
In 1915, inspired by the poem “In Flanders Fields,” Moina Michael replied with her own poem:

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

DI1qG2Gl.png

National Moment of Remembrance

The “National Moment of Remembrance” resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans “To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to ‘Taps.”

oldmodman

Established Member
Not my relatives but I promised an old friend of mine that I would put flowers on her son's graves at the VA in Westwood for as long as I am able.

I was there pretty early. The Boy Scouts were still putting flags on every gravesite. Way before the worthless politicos show up for their photo-op.

With one exception. We do have a city councilman that was a Marine in Vietnam. He is always there and never brings any press or photographers.

He's also the only guy on the council that does not accept a city owned car.

Before I go home I always make a little tour of the very early gravesites. The ones that were from the 1800's and no longer have any relatives to visit them.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Always take the time today to remember the fallen. I served and luckily I am still here but many others never came home. Today everyone should be thinking about someone giving everything for this nation. They will never be forgotten.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Always take the time today to remember the fallen. I served and luckily I am still here but many others never came home. Today everyone should be thinking about someone giving everything for this nation. They will never be forgotten.
^^Amen!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not my relatives but I promised an old friend of mine that I would put flowers on her son's graves at the VA in Westwood for as long as I am able.

I was there pretty early. The Boy Scouts were still putting flags on every gravesite. Way before the worthless politicos show up for their photo-op.

With one exception. We do have a city councilman that was a Marine in Vietnam. He is always there and never brings any press or photographers.

He's also the only guy on the council that does not accept a city owned car.

Before I go home I always make a little tour of the very early gravesites. The ones that were from the 1800's and no longer have any relatives to visit them.

Drew, very honoring of you to visit the graves of some of those long gone; ones usually long forgotton. I pay little attention to how most politicians "honor" those lost. It's more about the publicity they receive. The exceptions, like the ex-Marine you mentioned, are wonderful examples of sincere honor.

decoration-day-190x300.jpg

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in service of the United States of America. Over two dozen cities and towns claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day. While Waterloo N.Y. was officially declared the birthplace of Memorial Day by President Lyndon Johnson in May 1966, it’s difficult to prove conclusively the origins of the day.

Regardless of the exact date or location of its origins, one thing is clear – Memorial Day was borne out of the Civil War and a desire to honor our dead. It was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11. “The 30th of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers, or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village and hamlet churchyard in the land,” he proclaimed. The date of Decoration Day, as he called it, was chosen because it wasn’t the anniversary of any particular battle.

Red Poppies:
In 1915, inspired by the poem “In Flanders Fields,” Moina Michael replied with her own poem:

We cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

DI1qG2Gl.png

National Moment of Remembrance

The “National Moment of Remembrance” resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans “To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to ‘Taps.”

Wonderful post! I was sitting here with thoughts/remembrances of our heroes who gave their lives for our country and for those oppressed. Your post says it wonderfully.

I salute with utmost honor those who gave their lives for our country.

cbj5259

Established Member
Thoughts and prayers go out to those who gave everything and the families they left behind. God bless.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

Couldn't have said it better. Amen. Thank you for your service as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
So what do you want us to do on October 30th?

10-30-16

Sorry. Do whatever makes you happy come 10/30. Sorry if the date fopaw offends. Guess I'm doing pretty well dealing with a dog dying of cancer while trying to remember heros like my uncles and great uncles. If screwing up a date while trying to be considerate of those who gave it all is the only mistake I have made this week I'm doing better than I gave myself credit for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread