5.2 Coyote Crate Engine A52XS

scholle

Established Member
http://www.enginelabs.com/features/...rd-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/

2015-12-12_16-26-27-640x427.jpg "We took a 5.0-liter Coyote short-block, put the GT350 heads, cams, and intake on it and picked up 100 horsepower – Mike Delahanty, Ford Performance

I've been looking forward to seeing something like this.
I think the improved combustion chambers of the GT-350 heads will lessen some of the preignition issues on forced induction engines.
IDK what the firing order will be with this engine but I would guess its the 15+.
I hope a backward compatible solution is available for 11-14 soon.

AKDMB

Established Member
The firing order is the same on 15+ 5.0's as it was on the 11-14.

THE FIRING ORDER DID NOT CHANGE FOR THE 2015 COYOTE

I believe one mustang news site mixed this up and it has been spread since then. I haven't looked at the 2015 ford technical documents, but this is directly from 2011 and 2015 tunes.

2011 coyote
View attachment 55254

2015 coyote
View attachment 55253

Both pulled from hp tuners tune repository, the bottom file is definitely a 2015, there are 28 mapped points.

Ford Racing is working on a set of cams just for a GT350 top end on a coyote. Ford racing isn't offering a flat plane crank option, just GT350 parts on a normal cross plane crank motor.

Last edited:

Cyclerick

Established Member
It's too bad they didn't give comparable HP numbers for 93 or 91 octane. It's hard to know how much of the HP came from using race fuel versus what the 350 heads, block and increased cubic inches added.

noldevin

Established Member
I'm assuming thats crank hp on an engine dyno.
That plus the race gas makes me think these won't be all that impressive compared to current options, but we'll see.

AKDMB

Established Member
It's crank HP. A normal coyote could make 450hp + on an engine dyno with longtubes and pump gas. I'm just wondering about the availability of all of this stuff. The ports are so much smoother than what we have in our heads.

AKDMB

Established Member
Heads and cams can definitely add a 100hp. People have added more than 100rwhp to these cars with nothing more than bolt-ons and cams.

4VFTW

Established Member
sure it picked up 100hp vs a stock 5.0 , but if you compare it to a 5.0 with longtubes, CJ intake and tuned on race gas, the gains were far less. The CP 5.2 is stout though.

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

Established Member
Heads and cams can definitely add a 100hp. People have added more than 100rwhp to these cars with nothing more than bolt-ons and cams.

So the heads and cams add 100 over that? Doubtful.

They didn't say, "we added heads cams and bolt ons and picked up 100hp".

scholle

Established Member
I don't think there is much gain in HP from the .5 increase in static compression alone.
I believe that the larger bore unshrouding the valves and the piston design optimized to the combustion chamber is where most of the gains in power came from (If they simply just used a stock 2015 coyote shortblock ).
The gains in TQ could be more related to the increased displacement.

I'm still curious about the valve to piston clearance with the increased valve size, lift (14mm) and the change in valve location. Also the design of the pistons themselves. The GT350 pistons are specific to the left and right banks.
gt350-v8-7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread