5.0 Stroker NA Build

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
I am pleased. I would not go this route if I had to pay cash. Too little bang for the buck. But for $2000 out of pocket, it's sex. I need to get more rim and tire now, because I cannot put the power down on the street. So that's a nice yardstick... definitely pops.

I would also say that the 4.10's were perfect with a stock motor, but if I were gearing for this build I probably would go 3.73. Don't get me wrong, it's stout and completely drivable, but it climbs through the gears so quickly that I probably would be happier with something a little taller or a 6th gear. Would I trade it now that I have it? Nah, it's fun.

shurur

Established Member
New numbers?

na svt:

The second youtube said 375rwhp in the notes below.

How does that sit with his mods, the 5.0 stroker and the 106060 cams??

The stroker was about a 40 flywheel hp gain?..34 rwhp..just guessing again.

Making these same mods on a 4.6L produce 341 RWHP??

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
na svt:

The second youtube said 375rwhp in the notes below.

How does that sit with his mods, the 5.0 stroker and the 106060 cams??

The stroker was about a 40 flywheel hp gain?..34 rwhp..just guessing again.

Making these same mods on a 4.6L produce 341 RWHP??

That's about where it should be if the numbers are Dynojet/SAE factored. STD numbers are a little higher.

The 10.5:1 stroker adds about 25rwhp and the cams about 30rw. I bet the tq is much higher than a stock engine.

shurur

Established Member
good numbers...Doc Hawk

BUT...I'm still seeing a 90mm MAF and ported TB/intake...
and a March complete UDP set with Damper still on the table.

Also What headers are you sporting??

Last edited:

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
Stock exhaust manifold. Both tuners stated they suspected the motor is choking on a restricted exhaust.

I wonder if I could get to 400 with ported intake and exhaust?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Ported TBs add no power, none whatsoever.

Stock exhaust manifold. Both tuners stated they suspected the motor is choking on a restricted exhaust.

I wonder if I could get to 400 with ported intake and exhaust?
Without headers a ported intake will add 5-10 and a short runner 15-20.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
There is the whole polished intake and polished SRI talk again...there are RPM and torque considerations and trade-offs.

Then if you go PSRI and higher RPMs (7K+)..and go UDP/Damper you need to choose the right damper.

As I understand it:
More TQ down low..less HP up top
< 7K RPM: PRI and March UDP/damper set is the way to go.

Less TQ down low. more HP up top
>7k RPM: PSRI and March UDP with ATI damper is the way to go.

I'm not stating this as fact..just looking for corrections from NA SVT..again..and thanks AGAIN.

Doc Hawk:
Please keep us posted on the progress!!
And dynos Please!! When you get the chance...As I am interested in the seeing TQ curves especially...

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
A 10.5" short runner will not sacrifice midrange ho or tq nor will it require the engine to be taken over 7000rpm.

shurur

Established Member
A 10.5" short runner will not sacrifice midrange ho or tq nor will it require the engine to be taken over 7000rpm.

NA SVT:
OK excellent....
Q1: And this 10.5" PSRI is a ported 99-01 cobra...03-04 Mach1 intake we are talking about??

Q2: There is also "another" PSRI that is 6"?? for 7K RPM applications (different CAMs..106200, 300, 400 whatevers..) which is a cut down 99-01 intake.???

I've been confused about this for a while now...and hope this helps this thread... Thanks in advance...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
NA SVT:
OK excellent....
Q1: And this 10.5" PSRI is a ported 99-01 cobra...03-04 Mach1 intake we are talking about??

Q2: There is also "another" PSRI that is 6"?? for 7K RPM applications (different CAMs..106200, 300, 400 whatevers..) which is a cut down 99-01/mach intake.???

I've been confused about this for a while now...and hope this helps this thread... Thanks in advance...

All short runners start life as a C head intake, Mach or Cobra.

5-6" intakes make power to 8500rpm
10-10.5" versions make power to 7000.

O3dsg

Established Member
I would look into the exhaust before doing a PSR if it's the cork adding more air in front is not going to help much. You might look into a set of JBA shorty's I know people say they are not worth it but it might be your only option. If I remember right they are carb exempt as well. I owned a set and while I never had them on my car I know they have to be a improvement over the restrictive stock manifolds. These headers will not help with a scavenging effect but rather dissolution as all of your exhaust will not be concentrated into one tiny pipe all at once. Here is a link to a well respected NMRA factory stock racer that ran them and what he had to say.
Kooks vs JBA Dyno Results - Surprising.... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

As far as PSR's go a well built PSR can actually make more TQ over a stock intake with little too zero loss in the entire RPM band. The PSR on my car was a mild one while still making great HP numbers and a solid gain in TQ across the RPM band. I am running the same Comp cams and with this intake my car pulls like a MOFO to 7,000 rpm's. I think with a set of headers and a PSR you should easily break the 400rwhp mark.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Here is a link to a well respected NMRA factory stock racer that ran them and what he had to say.
Bob's combo had only 289ci and stock cams and the LTs he tested had only 1 5/8" primaries. A cammed stroker has evacuate a lot more exhaust therefore it requires at 1 3/4" primary tubes. The power gained by adding LTs of this size will be far greater than what Bob experienced.

Bob's combo would have picked up more power with the 1 3/4" primaries also.

O3dsg

Established Member
True but Bob also did not live in California where you have to pass multiple inspections. I am just giving this guy some legal options in no way did I say this was ideal for his combination!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread