5.0 Stroker NA Build

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
Parts are in! Machine shop starts work next week.

2001 Cobra Convertible
4.10 gears
Predator tuner (Update: SCT)
CAI
Borla Catback
H&R lowering springs
Subframe connectors

Going in:
MMR 5.0 stroker kit
10.5:1 Manley forged pistons
Manley Forged H beam rods
Forged stroker crank
ARP fasteners
Comp 106060 cams
Adjustable cam gears
Ported C head
Exedy Mach 400 stage 2 clutch
SVT Focus fuel pump
42# fuel injectors

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Keep us posted on this please...especially because your cams are in the DD RPM range!!! ...when you get to a dyno!! I'm very happy for you...jealous as all Hell..but very happy;-)

Per NASVT's many NA expert posts ...ML or LT headers and a Complete March pulley set(dampner, alt, ps, and water pump) will also help you..

Last edited:

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
Thanks for the encouragement. NASVT has been a big help along the way in the planning phases.

Some people wondered why this or why not that on some of the build choices, and the answers are all related to the goals and the restrictions we operate under here in California. It is a daily driver, so streetability is of primary importance. I wanted to maintain a broad powerband. It has to pass CA smog, which eliminates longtubes as well as a whole bunch of other cam options. Since shorties were my only option and they don't add THAT much, I skipped them in order to spend money in other places.

Last edited:

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
Pbeechner - not to jack my own thread, but one of my other cars is an 87 BMW L6! Funny coincidence. Nice car, going to let it go though.

trxcobra

Established Member
Nice man! Very similar build to mine with some different cams and such, you'll love it!

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
Saw your videos, trxcobra - wicked. What did you use for your tuning? Were you able to drive it from the installer to the dyno shop before it was tuned without detonation?

I have a tuner who specializes in modular motors all lined up for the dyno tuning, just been wondering about the trip there. Can flatbed it if I have to.

trxcobra

Established Member
Saw your videos, trxcobra - wicked. What did you use for your tuning? Were you able to drive it from the installer to the dyno shop before it was tuned without detonation?

I have a tuner who specializes in modular motors all lined up for the dyno tuning, just been wondering about the trip there. Can flatbed it if I have to.

I had a baseline tune emailed to me for the initial start up of the car. It ran fine for regular cruising and only costed me 75 bucks. Otherwise I don't think the car will even run with no tune since I'm assuming you are running different injectors and MAF

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
RET is worth the drive. That's who tuned my car.

I have an SCT chip if your interested. You can sell your predator, probably make a little cash and get a great tune!

Either way, looking forward to some numbers :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread