5.0 NA Stroker Cam Selection

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
Anyone running a NA 5.0 Stroker (4V Cobra motor)? Looking very seriously at taking the plunge this week. If anyone has experience, I am looking specifically for cam selection. Running a stroker on stock cams, or even on performance cams meant for 4.6 motors, will increase low end and kill top end as I understand it. So, wondering what (or if...) anyone has found for camshafts that are right for their stroker and have resulted in measured gains.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Anyone running a NA 5.0 Stroker (4V Cobra motor)? Looking very seriously at taking the plunge this week. If anyone has experience, I am looking specifically for cam selection. Running a stroker on stock cams, or even on performance cams meant for 4.6 motors, will increase low end and kill top end as I understand it. So, wondering what (or if...) anyone has found for camshafts that are right for their stroker and have resulted in measured gains.

There are 4.6 cams that would even be too aggressive for a high compression 5.0 stroker daily driver, so that statement is wrong. The link below has all the cam specs you could ever possibly want to know. Many of them will be good for stroker apps as well, but many variables come into play when selecting cams.

4V Cam Specs

Talk to NAsvt about your specific application. Have your whole build planed out before you go to him though, everything makes a difference.

trxcobra

Established Member
I am running the Comp stage 2 (#106400) cams in my 5.0 stroker. I basically daily drive it in the summer and it is not bad at all! A little bucking if you are lugging below 1500 rpms but its pretty easy to avoid that. Running cams on a stroker does not kill top end, most cams for our cars provide big gains in the upper rpms, but the intake manifold plays a big part in this as well.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I am running the Comp stage 2 (#106400) cams in my 5.0 stroker. I basically daily drive it in the summer and it is not bad at all! A little bucking if you are lugging below 1500 rpms but its pretty easy to avoid that. Running cams on a stroker does not kill top end, most cams for our cars provide big gains in the upper rpms, but the intake manifold plays a big part in this as well.

106200's probably would have been a better choice, unless you see 7,000 on a regular basis. What kind of head set up do you have? Compression? Gears?

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
I have it in another thread, and NAsvt has been very helpful. Pretty much ready to go, just researching the cams.

5.0 MMR forged stroker kit @ 0.020 over, moly rings
10.5:1 CR
Valve job, seat porting
Cams
CAI
Borla catback
Predator tuner
4.10 IRS

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I have it in another thread, and NAsvt has been very helpful. Pretty much ready to go, just researching the cams.

5.0 MMR forged stroker kit @ 0.020 over, moly rings
10.5:1 CR
Valve job, seat porting
Cams
CAI
Borla catback
Predator tuner
4.10 IRS

Throw some 106300/106200's at it and a 10" PSR from NAsvt, that would be a sick set up and probably make more usable midrange torque than going with a more aggressive cam like the 106400's. My 2 cents

Last edited:

trxcobra

Established Member
106200's probably would have been a better choice, unless you see 7,000 on a regular basis. What kind of head set up do you have? Compression? Gears?

Im running MMR ported stock heads with upgraded valves and springs, and im right around 11.5:1 compression, maybe a little lower. 4.10 gears as well.
I'm sure a less aggressive cam would have been the more streetable choice, but I am pretty happy with the car as it is. I am also running a 5" PSR intake so my peak power is up around 7400 rpms, the car really rips! I do wish I had some more Low end, but the short runner intake allows me to take full advantage of the gains from the cams

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
gmsux made some good power with a 5.0 big bore, and FR500 intake and cams. You will want a PSR to take advantage of the cams. Cams will not kill your top end.

Digital

Established Member
Shameless plug here. Dunno if maybe you'd be interested in any of this stuff but I have this for sale currently, brand new.

($4000) +2000hp Rotating Assembly (Package)
Complete Rotating Assembly Balanced
4.6L Modular 4V 5.0L Stroker Kit
Kellogg Stroker Crank
Manley Lightweight Competition Stroker Billet Rods
CP -23 Dush +.020 Bore Pistons
Stainless Steel File Fit +.020 Rings
King HP Main Bearings
King HP Rod Bearings
Melling High Volume Magnesium Housing Oil Pump /w Billet Housing
High Capacity Windage Tray

($650) Complete Heads
($500) Teksid Block bored .020 over and decked

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Im running MMR ported stock heads with upgraded valves and springs, and im right around 11.5:1 compression, maybe a little lower. 4.10 gears as well.
I'm sure a less aggressive cam would have been the more streetable choice, but I am pretty happy with the car as it is. I am also running a 5" PSR intake so my peak power is up around 7400 rpms, the car really rips! I do wish I had some more Low end, but the short runner intake allows me to take full advantage of the gains from the cams

Is it strictly a street car?

Brutal Metal

Established Member

Haha he Does see 7K on a regular basis! Why the fuct spend hard earned cash on upgraded valvetrain parts and shift at 6K:shrug: His cam selection is fine and Crap if you bolted on a centri and ran low boost (8lbs) it would be a Crazy pavement pounder with those Stage 2's!:rockon:

trxcobra

Established Member
Whats done to the drivetrain?

The tranny is all stock besides a spec stage 2+ clutch, I have all upgraded IRS bushings with diff cover brace, 03-04 crossmember brace, full length subframe connectors, and the car is lowered on eibach sportline springs and bilstein shocks

trxcobra

Established Member
Haha he Does see 7K on a regular basis! Why the fuct spend hard earned cash on upgraded valvetrain parts and shift at 6K:shrug: His cam selection is fine and Crap if you bolted on a centri and ran low boost (8lbs) it would be a Crazy pavement pounder with those Stage 2's!:rockon:

Haha yes I do!! It does have to be revved to make big Power but it is no slouch down low either! I am secretly keeping my eyes open for a used procharger or vortech to add on. It would really be a beast on low boost!

snakeraper11b

Established Member

I meant a regular basis like road racing or open tracking, not going for it on the highway. With peak power at 7400 you should shift at 7900...none of your supporting mods are built to withstand that. Why not run longer runners on the PSR, 9-10" and slightly more mild cams, 106200's. You would pick up about 40-50 ft lbs and only lose 10-15 hp up top. You could shift it at 7200 and you would never miss the old set up. My 2 cents. It would also work great with a centri set up.

trxcobra

Established Member
I meant a regular basis like road racing or open tracking, not going for it on the highway. With peak power at 7400 you should shift at 7900...none of your supporting mods are built to withstand that. Why not run longer runners on the PSR, 9-10" and slightly more mild cams, 106200's. You would pick up about 40-50 ft lbs and only lose 10-15 hp up top. You could shift it at 7200 and you would never miss the old set up. My 2 cents. It would also work great with a centri set up.

Well my internals are rated to 8k Rpms, but I don't plan on spinning it that high ever. I had a 10" psr when I first finished the car and it was one of NAZMANS old intakes. I don't know if I had tuning issues or what but I only put down 355/338. I was pretty unhappy with those numbers and after many talks with NASVT, he told me the best intake would be a 5" short runner for my combo, so that's what I went with. He also recommended the cams in the first place. I'm not saying you are wrong about me being happier with some milder cams, but I have no intentions of pulling this motor again and spending all that money for a little less hp and some more tq. Seems silly to me.
I'd like to see how a centri would be on my current set up one day. I know the cams aren't ideal for boosted applications but Im sure I would get some great power out of it

Users who are viewing this thread