5.0 Coyote Crate Motor Questions: Engine stand/Break-in

AKDMB

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm about to start a factory five mk4 roadster build(65 Shelby cobra replica) with my dad. We went with a 5.0 Coyote for the motor (M-6007-M50) and I had a few questions about the motor.

1. We are swapping the oil pan to a moroso that will fit in the car. We would like to get to the motor on a engine stand to do this. So how do you get a coyote on an engine stand? Is there anything special required? What hardware do you need? and does anyone have any specific reccomendations for engine stands to use with this motor?

2. Do the crate motors require any special break-in oil? We are just going to stick with the recommended FoMoCo oil for 11-14 Mustang GT's unless you guys suggest otherwise for break-in.

3. The motor is on it's way. I have heard that some come with the lifting brackets to drop the motor in the car and at some point FRPP stopped shipping the motors with them. What is the best way to securely attach chains from an engine hoist to the motor if we don't have the lifting hooks to use?

Lastly when the car is complete and broken in I would like to go with AED for tuning(yes I saw that thread, he still has some amazing skills as a tuner, regardless of his business practices). Does anyone know if Shaun tunes Coyote Crate motors? I know the final verdict will come once he has seen the base logs.

Thanks in advance guys!:banana:

Last edited:

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
While I don't have much to contribute, I can say that the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as your modular 4.6/5.4 and grade 8 bolts are a must here. As far as oil goes, the FMC stuff will likely suffice but you can get at Unleashed Beast for absolute certainty.

good luck on the build, but you will get more responses with pics! :beer:

AKDMB

Established Member
Nothing to really take pictures of yet unfortunately, just getting all the parts together and in hand, hope to start on the car within the next couple weeks assuming we have everything. I will try to send a PM to Unleashed and see what he thinks about break in oil. I found a stand that MMR lists on their site for use with mod motors as well as a different site that has the specific hardware to use with the stand.

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/

http://www.scramspeed.com/products/ford-coyote-5-0-4-6-5-4-modular-engine-stand-bolt-kit.html

Could someone show me where on this photo the engine stand bolts would attach? I'm a real noob.

mdmp-1306-07%2Bford-racing-5-0l-coyote-and-tremc-t-56-magnum-install%2Bflywheel-removal.jpg

Also our motor didn't come with the lifting hooks, so we are out of luck there as well. So if anyone has any advice on getting chains on this motor from an engine hoist it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
The bolts will go through the engine stand and into the holes where the transmission bell housing would bolt up. The bottom bolts will go to the holes with the dowels, and the top bolts will bolt at the top two holes. You don't need any special engine stand.. Go to harbor freight and get an engine stand, and go to your local hardware store to pick up 4 Grade 8 bolts. The bolts are 10MMx1.50, make sure you get 4 washers as well, as the engine stand holes can be quite large compared to the bolt head. The length will depend on which engine stand you get.

image_21280.jpg

mdmp-1306-07+ford-racing-5-0l-coyote-and-tremc-t-56-magnum-install+flywheel-removal.jpg

Last edited:

ford20

Established Member
This is where I have mine. Mind the messy garage. It is filled with old and new engine parts among various other things.

20141216_210523_zpsa4730232.jpg

4VFTW

Established Member
make sure you get a 4 wheel stand, 3 wheel stands can tip if your not careful

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
Thanks for the help everyone!

So, as far as getting the motor into the car does anyone know where I could get ahold of lifting hooks? The ones below are some that came up with a simple google search but I couldn't find anymore info on them

5036586873_a3f99fcd71.jpg

These are the hooks that FRPP used to ship with the crate coyotes and unfortunately ford stopped shipping the motors with these, does anyone know how to get ahold of these?

1321.jpg

ford20

Established Member
What I did was to take off the intake manifold and get an engine load leveler. I hooked 2 bolts at the top 2 bellhousing locatins and 2 at the very front of the motor and lifted it that way. I'm pretty sure there are pictures in my build thread somewhere around here.

Here they are:

20141026_162237_zpse4999f10.jpg

20141026_172655_zps516638b1.jpg

20141026_181513_zps8424d046.jpg

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
I PM'd Unleashed Beast and here is his reply about break-in oil for the coyote crate motor.

UnleashedBeast said:
Ford breaks their crate engines in with FoMoCo 5W-20 semi-synthetic. Nothing specific is really required. Semi-syn allows the piston rings to seat properly.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
So I found an interesting solution for lifting a coyote and thought I would share it anyways. Here are a couple photos from the Ford shop manual as well as link to the page in the manual along with a website to purchase them on.

They are simple brackets that attach to the lifting points on the motor, but they are $133, seems someone could fabricate something similar pretty easily.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Shop Manual(Image Source): http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=828&viewfile=Oil Pan.pdf

Lifting Brackets: http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/Engine-Lifting-Bracket-Pair-303-050-T70P-6000-303-050.htm

Me and my dad have decided to simply run lifting straps around the factory headers and lower the motor in that way when the time comes. Thanks for the help SVTP! I will be sure to stop in if I have anymore questions.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
So I found an interesting solution for lifting a coyote and thought I would share it anyways. Here are a couple photos from the Ford shop manual as well as link to the page in the manual along with a website to purchase them on.

They are simple brackets that attach to the lifting points on the motor, but they are $133, seems someone could fabricate something similar pretty easily.

View attachment 31486

View attachment 31485

Shop Manual(Image Source): http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=828&viewfile=Oil Pan.pdf

Lifting Brackets: http://www.shopfreedomracing.com/Engine-Lifting-Bracket-Pair-303-050-T70P-6000-303-050.htm

Me and my dad have decided to simply run lifting straps around the factory headers and lower the motor in that way when the time comes. Thanks for the help SVTP! I will be sure to stop in if I have anymore questions.

Motor unfortunately cannot be lowered into the car the factory headers on it, so relying on them for lifting purposes a no go now. Me and my dad are working on fabricating some brackets to bolt to the factory lifting locations. These lifting locations are pictured above, there's two bolt holes on the front of the driver side head and the back of the passenger side head. Does anyone know what size bolts these holes take? 1/2" and metric M12 bolts were too small. Any ideas? M12 were the largest metric bolts any local hardware store had. Theres a couple of local speciality fastener stores open tomorrow so I will try some M14 or M16 metric bolts and see if they work.

Last edited:

AKDMB

Established Member
Well it seems I answered my own questions about hardware for getting lifting brackets on the coyote. While I was putting my engine stand together I noticed that there were some M14 - 2.0 bolts in the engine stand hardware so I walked over to the crate motor and sure enough M14 - 2.0 ( We plan on going with full thread 50mm length, class 10.9 ) is what fits in the engine lifting bracket holes.

Now a final question Is there anything special that needs to be done before we turn the motor upside down to install the Oil Pan? Is it even safe to turn the motor upside down in its current state? Keep in mind the crate motor is fully dressed out, not just a shortblock or longblock.

Last edited:

5.0GT

Established Member
Bumpity Bump Bump

I think you'll be ok. You'll need to put the headers on after the engine is dropped in like others stated.

Don't forget to put silicone where the crank cover and front cover meet the block.

AKDMB

Established Member
I don't want to start anything else in this thread, but I will PM you the link

AKDMB

Established Member
Here's what we ended up doing. My dad got a couple brackets fabricated from flat stock bought from lowe's, we bent it and then got it welded, the toughest part was getting a hold of metric fasteners that were equivalent to grade 8 (class 10.9, M14 x 2.0 50mm long full thread), that really slowed us down. Now, does anyone know if the coyote crate motors need to be primed with oil before fireup? If so, how? I'm calling FRPP techline on this tomorrow to see their recomendation. A full 8 qt's came out the motor, so I am really curious. I guess the only sure fire way to do this would be to pull the valve covers and see if the cams and everything look lubed up.

Bracket's

DSC01341 (800x600).jpg

DSC01343 (800x600).jpg

DSC01345 smaller.jpg

DSC01346 smaller.jpg

Finished product with Cobra R trans (basically a TKO 600 with some different ratios)

DSC01397 smaller.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread