4WD vs AWD, what's the difference?

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
As the title states, what is the difference between 4WD and AWD? I have a Bronco and my son asked me that same question. He saw that the settings had both 4WD and AWD. I told him I didn't know, but would find out.

So who's got the best explanation for this question?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
AWD is constant 4WD is selectable by a lever or button to a transfer case. AWD there are some where it is split like the old Mitsubishi GTO/ GT3000 that was like 65% to the rear and 35 to the front, then the computer would increase the power to a wheel that was spinning faster/ losing grip.

4 WD you have a transfer case and a switch or lever in the vehicle and so can usually select 2 WD, s, sometimes low 2 WD, High 4 WD and Low 4 WD. There was certain vehicles like the early 1960's Jeep line ups that has the Low 2WD and military vehicles which was to get moving without getting out and locking the front hubs if you needed the 4X4 option. The low 4X4 is for what is termed muddy or rock crawling type deals where the 2 WD is only going to get you more stuck. The high 4X4 was to have it engaged and yet to do high speed ie* paved road speeds. In most instances I think they do not recommend the Lows past 20 MPH as damage can be done to the transfer case and front and rear shafts and gear housings!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
AWD will send send a variable amount of TQ all the time to the axels when needed. 4WD sends a fixed amount of power to each axel that can be switched on and off.

AWD uses a center differential to distribute the engine's torque between the two axles while 4WD relies on a transfer case, which functions like a locked diff.

IA Shelby

Established Member
As the title states, what is the difference between 4WD and AWD? I have a Bronco and my son asked me that same question. He saw that the settings had both 4WD and AWD. I told him I didn't know, but would find out.

So who's got the best explanation for this question?
Just keep it in 4A.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
So if you're stuck in snow/sand/mud which is better and how would they work differently? I assume 4x4 would be preferable.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Make it short

4WD will more than likely make it thru any terrain

AWD will more than likely get stuck on some snow and dirt terrains, especially if they dont have LSD/Torsen LS.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Good explanations. I knew I came to the right place.

In all honesty, I'd never really thought about it before. This bronco makes it easy with a select dial for different conditions. So, obviously, it has both systems in it.

OX1

Established Member
AWD will send send a variable amount of TQ all the time to the axels when needed. 4WD sends a fixed amount of power to each axel that can be switched on and off.

AWD uses a center differential to distribute the engine's torque between the two axles while 4WD relies on a transfer case, which functions like a locked diff.

Mostly true. But Fords FWD based "AWD" has no center diff. It has a "PTU", which just transfers power to rear driveshaft (ALL the time). Then an electronic clutch (between rear diff and rear driveshaft) that spools up (variably), to get rear axle under power when desired/required. 99% of the time, it is in FWD mode only though.

OX1

Established Member
Make it short

4WD will more than likely make it thru any terrain

AWD will more than likely get stuck on some snow and dirt terrains, especially if they dont have LSD/Torsen LS.

Yes and no. "ABS block" can now actuate each caliper, making defacto limited slips, even with a true open diff. The 6G bronco sucks at that with Ford's programming, but Jeeps and Toyota's do pretty well with it.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I do not know anything official LOL.

However, in the simplest terms, my take is 4WD means 4x4 for off roading (i.e. Ford F-150) and AWD is more for performance, acceleration and cornering (i.e. Nissan GT-R).

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
To make it simple as possible

If it can drive all 4 wheels and has a low range available it is 4wd. This is usually selectable.

If it can drive all 4 wheels but no low range, it's awd. This is usually full time

Some vehicles are both with full time awd and a selectable low range (and sometimes lockable differentials)

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Yes and no. "ABS block" can now actuate each caliper, making defacto limited slips, even with a true open diff. The 6G bronco sucks at that with Ford's programming, but Jeeps and Toyota's do pretty well with it.
Definitely, the Explorer Timberline have a Torsen LS, it still isnt the saving grace for off-roading but SHOULD perform better than the Explorer ST which lacks it. Regardless, as you stated, Ford's programming isnt that great at all.

Good explanations. I knew I came to the right place.

In all honesty, I'd never really thought about it before. This bronco makes it easy with a select dial for different conditions. So, obviously, it has both systems in it.
I believe the Bronco is a 4x4/4WD. Bronco Sport however is a AWD based on FWD i believe. As @OX1 posted, so not exactly a great performer.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Definitely, the Explorer Timberline have a Torsen LS, it still isnt the saving grace for off-roading but SHOULD perform better than the Explorer ST which lacks it. Regardless, as you stated, Ford's programming isnt that great at all.

I believe the Bronco is a 4x4/4WD. Bronco Sport however is a AWD based on FWD i believe. As @OX1 posted, so not exactly a great performer.
I have both 4wd and AWD selections.

I get the feeling that 4wd is more of a mechanical system and AWD is more electronically controlled. Would this be a fair assessment?

OX1

Established Member
I have both 4wd and AWD selections.

I get the feeling that 4wd is more of a mechanical system and AWD is more electronically controlled. Would this be a fair assessment?

Typically yes. But I've had several dentside bronco's (78/79), that had factory "AWD", that could also be "4WD". It had a NP 203 TC, and had 5 positions on it's TC lever. Zero electronics back then. It had no locking hubs and no 2WD option.

Basically, the center diff could be locked (or not), in either high or low range.

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread