4V Cam timing question

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Ok I only made 370rwhp with my 03 swap when I should have made 500-550rwhp, I did a leakdown and compression test (they both came back ggod) So after talking with my tuner and a local speed shop we all thought it must be those POS SHM cams, I took off the valve covers and timing cover and set the motor to TDC with the ford service tool, The boss on the cam sprockets are at the 6 o'clock (I thought they needed to be at the 12 while at TDC. Could this cause my issues? Also if the cam markers were off 180 degrees like that could the motor still run decent and make 370rwhp? I need some advice here folks. Thanks in advance.

Allen

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the cams were 180 degrees out your engine wouldn't start. You'd probably have some piston to valve clearance issues as well.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The keyways will be pointing toward the deck/block when after the crank is put in the correct position. I have a couple sets of instructions with pics that I can send ya.

unclecookie

Established Member
Since the cams rotate at half of what the crank does, it seems to me that if you rotate the crank one full revolution from where it was and set it at TDC, the cams would be pointing at the 12:00 o'clock position. JMHO

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
unclecookie said:
Since the cams rotate at half of what the crank does, it seems to me that if you rotate the crank one full revolution from where it was and set it at TDC, the cams would be pointing at the 12:00 o'clock position. JMHO

Man I feel stupid, your right I turned it over another full turn and the dots are now at (passenger close to 12) and (driverside close to 11) These were SHM regrinds, I am installing new factory stock 03 cobra cams. I can rent a trailer and have them degreed for 250 bucks or I can install them using the factory service tools and line everything back up without degreeing them. Opinions?

unclecookie

Established Member
I've never actually worked on one of these motors, so I am curious as to how the cams can be degreed. The sprockets don't have any kind of adjustment do they?

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
unclecookie said:
I've never actually worked on one of these motors, so I am curious as to how the cams can be degreed. The sprockets don't have any kind of adjustment do they?

Not really they have a woodruff key so you can get much play from them maybe 1-2 degrees at most. I wonder if degreeing them is really worth it? On a side not I got the intake rockers off but I am real limited by space and can't seem to get the exhaust rockers off, can I just loosen the cam cap bolts slowly in order to remove the exhaust cams?

Nazman

Established Member
slo984now said:
If the cams were 180 degrees out your engine wouldn't start. You'd probably have some piston to valve clearance issues as well.
That is right. PTVC would have taken place.

Remove the Blower, and intake to aid with the clerance. Doing it on the car is possible but a royal PITA. The timing cover will have to come off as well.

Ill remove the timing cover, the engine mount bolts and elevate the engine a few inches with a jack and give a bit more clerance.

Naz

01Cobra896

Established Member
Just a question but have you checked if you are getting full valve lift out of the SHM cams? You do know that they have to be shimmed since they are regrinds.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
01Cobra896 said:
Just a question but have you checked if you are getting full valve lift out of the SHM cams? You do know that they have to be shimmed since they are regrinds.

hey Eric, I did shim the lifters with the suppiled shims that SHM provided, however I did not measure the valve lift. so I couldn't be 100% that they are operating correctly. however, those POS's are coming out this weekend.

AJRED99

"Almost Stock"
Established Member
Update! I removed all the timing components and trailered my car to a local speed shop and had them install new lifters, followers, chains, tensioners and some stock 04 cobra cams, I also had them degree the cams and set the timing. All I need to do is put it back together and hope it solved my issues.

Nazman

Established Member
AJRED99 said:
Update! I removed all the timing components and trailered my car to a local speed shop and had them install new lifters, followers, chains, tensioners and some stock 04 cobra cams, I also had them degree the cams and set the timing. All I need to do is put it back together and hope it solved my issues.
Good for you. Everything will be ok!

Best of luck.

Naz

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
na svt said:
The keyways will be pointing toward the deck/block when after the crank is put in the correct position. I have a couple sets of instructions with pics that I can send ya.

Actually, could I get these? my email is [email protected]. This will come in handy for my engine build on down the road. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread