4l80e ordered have questions and need ideas

f2hatch

Established Member
no pics of my cooler but running the same as juice mounted in the same location. here is my shifter Hurst quarter stick in the stock location under the 6 speed boot.
20130530_210313_zps636c1dbf.jpg

f2hatch

Established Member
Thanks I'm very pleased with it. Most people never even notice its a auto.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Has any one used the TCI outlaw shifter? I think that's what I am going to get but just curious if anyone had used it and what they thought of it. Also they have one with and without a cover I am assuming that I don't need the cover as most of the shifter will be covered up?

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Not really I got the shifter plates installed in the center console that's about it. I should be taking to car to deans performance this week to get the trans installed. I am changing a bunch of stuff so I need a retune away so I am just going to let Hans install the trans.

2ToneTerror

Established Member
Why the 4l80e over a 4r70w are you expecting to go big later, with 62's i assume you'll be in the 950-1100hp range on full kill especially with the 4l80es being fairly hp hungry. A 4r70w would be more than up for that kind of hp built properly and be somewhat less headache. Not knocking yea just curious. Nice build btw

Last edited:

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Why the 4l80e over a 4r70w are you expecting to go big later, with 62's i assume you'll be in the 950-1100hp range on full kill especially with the 4l80es being fairly hp hungry. A 4r70w would be more than up for that kind of hp built properly and be somewhat less headache. Not knocking yea just curious. Nice build btw

I'm also doing an auto swap and been torn between the 4L, 4R70 and PG with a gear vendor.
I think with a proper spec converter the 4L won't eat much more
Power than a 4R70.
And I haven't seen any 1000whp cars running the 4R70

itSSlow98

Established Member

Yea Im not buying that. 4l80 will blow the 4r70 out of the water as far as reliability at that power level. I wouldnt run a built 4r70 in any car over 700hp personally.

2ToneTerror

Established Member
Honestly I'm not trying to sell you anything just giving my opinion. We'll there are actually quit a few cars out there running well into the 8's on 4r/aod making in excess of 1k. Look into companies like Lentech, ATF, jakes, and FB just to name a few that build 4r/aod that will handle that kind of power just didn't see the need for the extra cost of a 4L which I'm not knocking is truly a better tranny in the end IMO and as far as 700hp a stock form. 4r with a decent converter and cooler will take that being that's been proven many times over. Just my .02

Last edited:

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
Honestly I'm not trying to sell you anything just giving my opinion. We'll there are actually quit a few cars out there running well into the 8's on 4r/aod making in excess of 1k. Look into companies like Lentech, ATF, jakes, and FB just to name a few that build 4r/aod that will handle that kind of power just didn't see the need for the extra cost of a 4L which I'm not knocking is truly a better tranny in the end IMO and as far as 700hp a stock form. 4r with a decent converter and cooler will take that being that's been proven many times over. Just my .02

I've seen one running high 8s and it was a Whipple , believe me I'd much rather go Ford but the hard parts just are not like the 4L80. I did enough research on both trannys. I'll actually be into a full manual 4L80 for less than 4R.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
The 4R is tough to make live in these heavy cars. I wanted reliability first and foremost, that's why I chose to roll with the th400. A friend broke 2 or 3 of those Lentech 4R's in his turbo cobra so I have seen the issues first hand. I have read that Freddy Brown really has the combo down for those now, but the GM trans is a proven piece and not complicated to make hold big power.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member

The main reason I went 4l80e is because it's basically a th400 with overdrive and my car is built 100% for the street. it's also able to handle a lot of horse power and torque and still be reliable so I'm told. I am also switching over to e85 and will be running it full time on the street so I am about to find out how much abuse it can handle.

badblacklx

Established Member
Yea Im not buying that. 4l80 will blow the 4r70 out of the water as far as reliability at that power level. I wouldnt run a built 4r70 in any car over 700hp personally.

I just have to simply disagree with you. My hatch made 1100rwhp through and unlocked converter with an aod. Car weighed 3500lbs on scale with me in it definitely wasn't a feather weight. That trans was in car for 3 years before a refresh.

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
I just have to simply disagree with you. My hatch made 1100rwhp through and unlocked converter with an aod. Car weighed 3500lbs on scale with me in it definitely wasn't a feather weight. That trans was in car for 3 years before a refresh.

That's impressive ! Who built that AOD? Did you run it at
the track off the trans brake ?

itSSlow98

Established Member

Just cause a few people get lucky doesn't convince me. I'm glad you made out well with it though.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
At what point is it not good luck and maybe just a few with bad luck, bad driving, or bad build quality?

I'm pushing 700 at the wheels with mine and it hasn't missed a beat. Going to turn it up this year again. I was told when this was built by Darrin that it will handle power but not bad driving. Take that for what its worth.

badblacklx

Established Member
That's impressive ! Who built that AOD? Did you run it at
the track off the trans brake ?
Yes at track off transbrake it cut 1.31 60fts. All hard parts were from Lentech and Matt@ Modmafiaperformance refreshed it. Only reason it was refreshed is because it broke bell housing.
Just cause a few people get lucky doesn't convince me. I'm glad you made out well with it though.
3 years is a lot of luck. Only reason it was pulled is it broke bell housing because of tire shake.

Venomous 03

Established Member
When it comes down to motors ford>
When it comes down to transmissions
Gm>
4l80 is almost bulletproof
4r is a nice transmission but i rather spend those few more bucks to making the 4l fit for the reliability.i have yet to see a 4l go bad

Users who are viewing this thread