410 gears

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Why don't we ask Scott about his 4.10's, how he likes them and his experience with them.

qwikhuh

Established Member
Just a "little" different setup.......:banana:

Me and my torqueless wonder :) I did recently install a set of 4:10s in a pulley swapped GT-500 and it was a blast on the street once it decided to hook.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
It was pretty cool having those gears in a Cobra. I could reach crazy high speeds in each gear. 2nd went to around 70, 3rd to around 100, 4th to at least 130 (only did this once lol), and when I did a pull in 5th on the way home, we hit 100 at only 4k rpm and still pulling like crazy. These would be perfect gears for street racing with around 600whp because you barely ever have to shift :rockon:

4th is 140 with 3.55s 4th with 3.27s should be at least 150 if not more depending if you have enough power to punch a hole in the air at that speed (most mildly modded termies do!)

As for 4.10s, I have been considering a gear swap ... will have to see what the money situation looks like though after the rebuild.

Later

chitowncobra

Established Member
I believe what is meant by this, is that he raised the redline with a hand held tuner. Basically buying himself a little time between shifts.

Honestly I don't know why you would raise the redline any further than 6600 rpm, unless you changed your cams. I have always gotten my best quarter mile times shifting at 6400rpm. I don't think changing gears would make a difference in this, your motor would still be making the same power and torque at the same curve. It would just get there faster.
that is correct raised to 7000!! more time between shifts!!! in the book IRON FIST LEAD FOOT (which i recommed every 03/04 cobra owner should have) John Coletti states that these cars rev limiter were going to be set at 6900 rpms,but because of the 3.55 gears they set them 6500 rpms!!! so these motors can whine up to 7000 rpms w/ no problem(Forged Manley Rods)in the book that was the main factor for Go or no Go for 03/04 cobras, John Coletti has one the first Rods as a trophy in his office (their is a picture of it, him holding it in the book) that surived the grueling 300 hour test at redline on these motors!!! very good book about the making of the 03/04 cobras!!!:beer::beer:

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I wouldn't go any higher than 3.73's, but thats my opinion. the 3.90's are not a ford gear and I know of people (antex for one) who have had issues with them and have gone back to 3.73's. I know of people who have also gone from 4.10's back to 3.73's. if it were mine, I would stick with the stockers and spend the money on other mods.

the real decision about the gear swap should also depend on what you use the car for.

as stated, I have a 97 solid axle in mine now that is not built. when I do it, I will probably go with 3.31's from a gt500.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I have 4.10's, but only because I run a 28" tire. It's like running a 3.73 on a 26" tire, but I get the extra sidewall. With the M+H's on the street, I feather 1st, and the car dead hooks from 2nd on. That's with over 600 at the wheels. It used to just blow through the little Nitto's. The 4.10's and M+H's have proven to be pretty lethal on the street!:fm:

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
i know you have to do something but for the life of me right now i cant remember what the hell it is... if no one else responds ill figure it out in the morning. for some reason the pin is sticking in my mind
I think you have to clearance the inside of the housing a bit, but I'm not sure.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Oh, the 4.10 gear mod for the 03-04 I would only do with viper 5/6 ratios in the trans. Simply Awesome!!-

Users who are viewing this thread