410 gears

mystic04

Established Member
Seen a guy on sunday who wants to put 410s in his rear arn't they a tad to much for the street. I said to try the 390 first but you guys know way more then i do about this , also told him he may want to look into level 5.
Any info given i thank you ahead of time .He wants to put the car on the track but not just a track car.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
4.10s on a terminator are a bit steep. i'd have him do 3.90 at the max.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I have 4.11's in my 70. It spins to 7500 RPM, makes power upwards of 7800 and has a 3 speed auto. It's an around town car only, and on the highway I get passed by minivans as I cruise along at 50-55 in the right hand lane.

If he has an 03/04 Cobra, it is my opinion that 4.10's are overkill if you're making any sort of power. Unless you put a 29+ tire on the back, you've already got enough torque to get going from the blower. My 70 doesn't make power until 4500 RPM, so I use the 4.11's to get up in the RPM range faster.

I like 3.55's and 3.73's in street/strip cars. Obviously if the car is trapping a high number, a lower numerical gear may be needed.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
uhh, I was planning on 4.30's lol.

There are several threads about this, do a search, but the overall conclusion was that many people said they enjoyed the 4.10s a ton, tried 4.30's loved them even more, then moved to 4.56 and love that even more!

chitowncobra

Established Member
Seen a guy on sunday who wants to put 410s in his rear arn't they a tad to much for the street. I said to try the 390 first but you guys know way more then i do about this , also told him he may want to look into level 5.
Any info given i thank you ahead of time .He wants to put the car on the track but not just a track car.
i have 4.10s in my 03 and make close to 500 to wheels!!! raised redline to 7000 rpms also you learn on how you control your throttle in 1st when get on it, and i love them!!! mines not a daily DD. all depends on how you drive your car!! 4.10s = STREET BRAWLER. you use 5th and 6th gear a lot more! i cruise around 40 miles an HOUR at about 2000 rpms spin the tires in 3rd diffenetly need drag radials!!!:burnout::burnout::burnout:

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
uhh, I was planning on 4.30's lol.

There are several threads about this, do a search, but the overall conclusion was that many people said they enjoyed the 4.10s a ton, tried 4.30's loved them even more, then moved to 4.56 and love that even more!

I'm guessing the OP is talking about an 03 cobra, in which case 4.10s are a bit much. ScottinSSMD has 4.10s and 619rwhp and he loves it, but most guys with terminators don't change the gears. Why wouldn't he just do a port and pulley? I drove Jason's car around in OC all weekend with 3.27's in it and it was still fast as hell. Tell him to just up the power. It's easier and probably cheaper than the gear swap, especially in the IRS.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I guess you would like it if you liked to spin your tires every time you punched the gas. I brake loose on the street like crazy with 3.55s. No way I am going with anything steeper on the '03.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I guess you would like it if you liked to spin your tires every time you punched the gas. I brake loose on the street like crazy with 3.55s. No way I am going with anything steeper on the '03.
Yup.....with the torque and weight distribution of the Terminators, it's pretty tough to get consistent traction with steeper gears.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Solid rear out of a GT...

It was pretty cool having those gears in a Cobra. I could reach crazy high speeds in each gear. 2nd went to around 70, 3rd to around 100, 4th to at least 130 (only did this once lol), and when I did a pull in 5th on the way home, we hit 100 at only 4k rpm and still pulling like crazy. These would be perfect gears for street racing with around 600whp because you barely ever have to shift :rockon:

wheelhopper

Established Member
So gears raised the redline in your engine? Interesting concept...

I believe what is meant by this, is that he raised the redline with a hand held tuner. Basically buying himself a little time between shifts.

Honestly I don't know why you would raise the redline any further than 6600 rpm, unless you changed your cams. I have always gotten my best quarter mile times shifting at 6400rpm. I don't think changing gears would make a difference in this, your motor would still be making the same power and torque at the same curve. It would just get there faster.

mystic04

Established Member
Thanks guy's i'll pass this info on to the guy i know what about changing to level 5 half shafts or at least something that a bit stronger .

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I'd stick with the 3.55's or possibly go with 3.73's for a little more "umph" from a roll. 4.10's will still break loose like crazy on a roll race!

Users who are viewing this thread