4 Years With My Terminator (long)

Thrust

Established Member
As of 11-19-08 I have had the pleasure of owning this car for 4 years. I wanted to share my experience with having this car, and list my pros and cons of my terminator ownership.

I bought this car brand new on friday 11-19-04. It only had 17 miles on the odometer. It was built on 1-13-04 and basically sat for 9 months before being sold to me. It had developed flat spots on the tires that I eventually removed. :burnout: I must say that I could not believe that this was my car. I was not prepared for all of the attention that A mystichrome terminator draws. On the drive home from the dealership a guy was rolling along side me while snapping pics with his camera phone.

The 2nd day of ownership (Saturday night) I lost my first race. I was out cruising on the freeway when I was blown away (2 cars) by a HCI Camaro SS. Needless to say Thanksgiving weekend I installed my first two mods, a steeda CAI, and a Flowmaster CB.

The next 6 months of ownership were uneventful. I took the car back to the dealer for its first oil change, had a few races here and there, and researched my next mod. I was very happy with my car. I did not have any quality problems, and everything performed perfectly. I felt that it was time for a pulley!:rockon:

I took my car to Tim at Modular Powerhouse (MPH), for a pulley and dynotune. The results were 455 hp and 475 tq with a 2.8 upper pulley. I must say that the addition of the pulley and tune made it feel like a new car. It seemed like every other weekend Id meet up with a crew of guys and get in countless runs. I built up a pretty good record winning 30+ races and losing 5. Anyone that knows me knows that I am humble, but also confident. So I never did talk much smack. My buddies would call me up and set up a race for the "Flip-Flop" cobra, but as time went on I started to lose interest in street racing.

After a year and a half with the pulley I needed a upgrade. So back to MPH for the 2.6KB. All that I can say is OH CRAP! My car went from a caged beast (455hp) to a rabid animal (601hp)! I'll never forget the first time that I laid fully into the throttle on the drive home. It was like I entered ludicrous speed! I started racing more often, but this time it was at the 1/8 mile track. I had some of my best and memorable races there, and would often end up in the final 4 (pinks all out style). I would always get beat by the MTI sponsored vette, but it was all in good fun.

The Pros
For the past 2 years, I haven't driven my car as much. I bring it out every other weekend for shows or just cruising around and wasting gas. I still get a good share of complements and admiring stares. And it still scares the crap out of me when I hit the throttle. Thankfully I have not had any mechanical failures. I love how the IRS rides. I love the modability of this car and I feel that it is the ultimate bang-for-the-buck. I really love the styling of the terminator, and I think that it looks perfect lowered. I love how these cars sound! From the screaming blower to the deep bellowing exhaust. The sound and the power are addictive. I have yet to find a car that has the entry price, after-market support, looks, and high performance starting point than the terminator.

The Cons
Some minor complaints. I hate the fact that a car that stickered for $38000 does not have a glovebox or underhood light, a prop rod hood, Cheap leather that wears very poorly, and shitty steering rack bushings. It wouldn't hurt if the car weighed less, and I hate launching on the IRS. All of this stuff is fixable with after-market components, but Ford could have done a few things better. Lastly I feel that I am starting to get too old for this car. The color is a bit too flashy for me now, and I have been really eyeing the Z06 Vettes.
I still feel that the terminator is the ultimate mustang and is truer to what mustangs stand for than the gt500.
I love this car and would like to keep it long enough to write about 5 years+ of ownership, but as time goes on and interests change, I may let someone else have the pleasure of owning this car.

4 year totals
Horsepower: 601rw
Torque: 566rw
High Speed: 165 mph
Miles: 38000+
Weight empty: 3672lbs
Oil Changes: 8
Tire sets: 4
Dealer visits: 3 = Oil change, Steering rack bushing, Rear Bearing.
St. Race Wins: 30+
St. Race Loss: 5
Tk. Race Win: 26
Tk. Race Loss: 6
Car Show Wins: 5
Pulled Over: 2
Tickets: 0
Broken parts: 1 spark plug
Accidents: 0
Run out of gas: 0
Stranded: 0
Towed: 0
Road Head: :-D
Fat passengers: ZERO

BumbleBeeGTO

Established Member
Good write up man. Im going to go drive a Terminator tommorow. Im really getting into these Cobras now.

wikedcobra312

FLEO
Established Member
nice write up, my next mod is a twin screw. i did get stranded once though, it was the night i found out what an frps is.lol. i am also debating on selling my mystichrome and getting a vette or something. i mean i am not old, 26, but my coworker just bought a new zo6 and its amazing. i guess, i will have to see how i feel after i get a twin screw. again, nice write up.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Nice story, why take it to the dealer for oil change? no trust and shitty oil

"I feel that I am starting to get too OLD for this car......I have been really eyeing the Z06 VETTES."

^^^Look at the caps, coincidence? :lol:

Thrust

Established Member
Nice story, why take it to the dealer for oil change? no trust and shitty oil

"I feel that I am starting to get too OLD for this car......I have been really eyeing the Z06 VETTES."

^^^Look at the caps, coincidence? :lol:

Hahaha! The first oil change was free so why not. I have done all of the others myself.
As far as the vettes go that is very true. At mustang car shows the crowd is younger, and people seem to be friendlier.
At vette shows all of the old men sit around and talk about their hip replacement surgeries, and scowl at the younger vette owners. Not to mention the big band music that they play over the loud speakers and raffles for a case of ensure.

BlueSS

Hahaha! The first oil change was free so why not. I have done all of the others myself.
As far as the vettes go that is very true. At mustang car shows the crowd is younger, and people seem to be friendlier.
At vette shows all of the old men sit around and talk about their hip replacement surgeries, and scowl at the younger vette owners. Not to mention the big band music that they play over the loud speakers and raffles for a case of ensure.

My buddy has an 01 Z06 whose 19 years old, and he gets lots of dirty looks from the senior citizen corvette clubs all the time! :lol1: I usually see all the vettes lined up in the Wendy's parking lots after every cruise night, nothing like a bowl of chilli and a baked potato with a discount!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You'll regret it if you sell it, but nice story.

Yes! I can tell you from personal experience. LOL! I was just telling my wife earlier this week I missed my old '03. I wonder who owns it now. I believe it is with owner number 5. :cryying:

Oh, and nice write-up Thrust. I've followed you over the years and you've got a nice car there. Enjoy! :rockon:

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I've had mine of just over 6 years (bought new 9 Augus 2002), and we travelled a very similar path. 2.80 pulley, tune, CAI and full exhaust to start (483rwhp). Then, later on a Whipple. Now single turbo. I have had so much fun with this car it is unbelievable.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
The Pros
For the past 2 years, I haven't driven my car as much. I bring it out every other weekend for shows or just cruising around and wasting gas. I still get a good share of complements and admiring stares. And it still scares the crap out of me when I hit the throttle. Thankfully I have not had any mechanical failures. I love how the IRS rides. I love the modability of this car and I feel that it is the ultimate bang-for-the-buck. I really love the styling of the terminator, and I think that it looks perfect lowered. I love how these cars sound! From the screaming blower to the deep bellowing exhaust. The sound and the power are addictive. I have yet to find a car that has the entry price, after-market support, looks, and high performance starting point than the terminator.

Exactly my feelings on this car. Best bang for the buck is right on.
This car was designed by A CAR GUY using an existing platform . Imagine what Colletti and his team could have done with a blank slate?
Thanks for your write up, it pretty much says it all

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Good write up. I think it's not just the Terminators, but almost all of American cars have crappy quality back then with exception for a few. Just imagine what it be like if they come out now.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Love the write up. I will have had mine 4 years this coming January 18th, 2009. It really does not seem that long. I know I have not put no where near the miles you have but I have enjoyed every mile. These cars are, just as you say and I have a magazine article that was put in 5.0 after I bought the car, most representative of the true Mustang. It reminds me so much of my cousin's 69 Mach 1, 4-speed that he purchased new. That is the real reason i have 2 Mustangs in my garage. On the paint's color changing properties. I would not have it any other way. It has actually grown on me more now that people are realizing the complexity of the paint the the actual painstaking Ford used to develope it and use it on the car with great success. Even with all the documentation in front of them people still do not believe that it is a factory paint let alone a Ford factory paint.

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
awesome write up, sounds like you've had a pleasurable 4 years..I respect Z06's but hold on to the Cobra, it's a modern day legend and piece of automotive history

64comet

Established Member
Nice story. I plan on owning mine forever first brand new car and it had 11 miles on it when we took it off the lot. Too much fun and it's part of the family now. As far as getting a vette, can't see that ever happening. They do nothing for me and every year when we do a big carshow here I have to deal with these whiny bitchy crybaby vette owners that drive me ****ing crazy. Nothing like 60+ year old men bitching that they didn't get to go in first when they were there first. Screw the fact that we have a method to our madness. Had one asshole this year get real mad when he threatened to leave and I told him to go ahead. Had to many cars as it was trying to squeeze in. Needless to say he stayed. Keep the cobra and just go beat up on the vettes. Can alway upgrade to Turbo is 600+ hp isn't enough.

Users who are viewing this thread