4 year+ resto mod on my 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby....1st post too!

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Had a friend in High School with a non-turbo version. Same color and everything as yours. I loved that car, and its a shame he flipped it not too long after he got. Good job on the resto.

5point0guy

Established Member
Nice build, man! I like that you kept the stock appearance with the far from stock engine, definitely a sleeper. Cool stuff!

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
I was expecting a V8 swap, because mopar had a kit for those cars.

Very nice though

Gix1k4

Established Member
Again thanks guys! The rare part is one of the best things, a lot of people gaff me off till they hear the blow off valve and the look on their face is one of the things I love. That WTF look, followed by "did you put a turbo on that" .Win or loose there is not a day I drive the car that I do not get a smile on my face. Thanks again for the kind words.

That's all that matters right there....Nice job on the resto, and bonus points for being original.:beer:

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Beautiful car, and major props for all the hard work you've put into it! I've always liked those cars, but it is rare when you get to see such a stunning example... Let alone it's progress along the way.

And more props for building up something you don't see everyday. I'm doing the same resto mod with my SHO, and like you said, it always brings a smile to my face when I drive it (er, drove it... mines in pieces now too, ha).

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Solid, my first car was an 88 Pacifica, followed by a 92 IROC R/T which was a total loss in a flood. From there I went to the Ford side with my Cobra.

Probably one of the most complete and detailed resto's on one of these that I have seen for quite some time!

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
Amazing! I love the car.

On a side note I love it when people praise the WRX as being the first really quick budget racer 4 door, when Dodge had the spirit R/T over 10 years earlier with the same HP and MUCH more friendly to boltons... Those turbo 2.2's are really potent.. IIRC this guy @ a local performance shop had one as a DD with boltons/boost upgrade and it made something like 3XXfwtq and almost 300fwhp.. not bad for simple boltons in an almost 20year old 4 door 4cylinder domestic!!!! :rockon:

Jaimie03Cobra

Established Member
Hey Brent, I thought I recognized that car. I remember it when you were stationed up in Maine. Just to let all of you know. I also have a 1990 Shadow that has the same basic 2.2 8 valve turbo motor. Non forged completely stock block and mild porting. Super 60 turbo (turbo that Mopar offered), 52 lb injectors, 3 bar map and a tune that put down 273 HP and 296 TQ. 22 pounds of boost all day long at 1200 degree EGTs. Not too bad through the stock intercooler. Definitely fun and good little sleepers. Cheep and easy to work on if you find one that is rust free. Almost everything under the hood is 10mm, 13mm and 15mm. Awesome car. I love the Daytona.

kwkshift

Established Member
I had a LeBaron 2.2 turbo and I always wanted an Omni GLH. Those were the original tuner sport compacts. Cool build!

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I had a mint CSX-VNT #68 and Shelby Lancer #600 of 800..what cool cars to work on..and its pretty cheap to build them up.

F8Lbite98

back once again
Established Member
nice work man... it looks great. my buddy has a turbo lebaron hes restoring. Built motor, built auto tranny and big holset turbo. now hes repainting and all new interior.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is maybe the best looking '89 Daytona I've ever seen. Very rare to see one nowadays. I think it is awesome that you did this project. Nicely different and extremely well done. A show winner for sure. :beer:

shelbymopar89

Established Member
wow man, now that its getting into a car,

there's a white daytona around that has shelby stickers how can i know if its the real deal???
Hard to tell unless you know what engine is in it, normal stuff would be brake upgrades, engine, suspension, but that is hard to tell from the outside.
Love the old turbo dodges. I had a few Shelby's and R/T's back in the day. None that nice though. Awesome work!
Thanks man, I run into a lot of people that have had one of these in the past. They all say the same thing, fun, cheap car that a lot of people took for granted.
Nice build, man! I like that you kept the stock appearance with the far from stock engine, definitely a sleeper. Cool stuff!
That was one of my main objectives, can't see the exhaust or anything. Looks stock from the outside other than the ride height and pilar pod.
I was expecting a V8 swap, because mopar had a kit for those cars.

Very nice though
There are two I know of out there, would be a nice little swap!
Beautiful car, and major props for all the hard work you've put into it! I've always liked those cars, but it is rare when you get to see such a stunning example... Let alone it's progress along the way.

And more props for building up something you don't see everyday. I'm doing the same resto mod with my SHO, and like you said, it always brings a smile to my face when I drive it (er, drove it... mines in pieces now too, ha).
My buddies mom had one in high school, loved that car. Two things I remember clearly was the cool intake mani and the long ass throw of the shifter...lol
Solid, my first car was an 88 Pacifica, followed by a 92 IROC R/T which was a total loss in a flood. From there I went to the Ford side with my Cobra.

Probably one of the most complete and detailed resto's on one of these that I have seen for quite some time!
Thanks, you went to the dark side....lol
Amazing! I love the car.

On a side note I love it when people praise the WRX as being the first really quick budget racer 4 door, when Dodge had the spirit R/T over 10 years earlier with the same HP and MUCH more friendly to boltons... Those turbo 2.2's are really potent.. IIRC this guy @ a local performance shop had one as a DD with boltons/boost upgrade and it made something like 3XXfwtq and almost 300fwhp.. not bad for simple boltons in an almost 20year old 4 door 4cylinder domestic!!!! :rockon:
I hear you on that, just like the VNT turbo they came out with. When Porshe came out with it, it was "state of the art technology" The 8 Valves are putting down some pretty good numbers now. Current record holder is 535hp, 25lbs of boost with some juice.(70hp shot) All in a 2500 lb car. The guys dropping the neon DOHC heads on the 2.2, 2.5 blocks are putting down even more. Only so much CFM goes through an 8V head...lol. I will throw up a vid later today.
Hey Brent, I thought I recognized that car. I remember it when you were stationed up in Maine. Just to let all of you know. I also have a 1990 Shadow that has the same basic 2.2 8 valve turbo motor. Non forged completely stock block and mild porting. Super 60 turbo (turbo that Mopar offered), 52 lb injectors, 3 bar map and a tune that put down 273 HP and 296 TQ. 22 pounds of boost all day long at 1200 degree EGTs. Not too bad through the stock intercooler. Definitely fun and good little sleepers. Cheep and easy to work on if you find one that is rust free. Almost everything under the hood is 10mm, 13mm and 15mm. Awesome car. I love the Daytona.
This is the first time I have had it on the road since I blew it up giving you a ride :beer: Post some pics of your ride man, never did see it.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
awesome build, cool car

welcome to the site, I'd say like %15 of the people don't own Mustangs(I never have) so it will not prevent you from fitting in just fine.

kingcobra10

SVT God... Snarf
Established Member
damn man....... THAT IS SICK! i really like it. you really added some nice touches but kept it clean very cool. I would rock that car so fast

Users who are viewing this thread