4 cylinder turbo new base engine for Silverado

96 cobra

Established Member
I'll take my n/a 2.7L 4-cly toyota pickup over a turbo chevy engine any day of the week.

It's a pickup truck, I don't have to get there fast, but I do need to get there.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
But makes more tq at a lower RPM where a truck needs it.

And keeps that peak torque from what, 1500-4000? I’ll do the same as I did with Ford’s offerings, I’ll use them here at work and make a decision. It will probably be like the 2.7, ok for towing smaller rigs but underpowered for near max capability in the sense of my comfort level in passing ability, hills, etc.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
And keeps that peak torque from what, 1500-4000? I’ll do the same as I did with Ford’s offerings, I’ll use them here at work and make a decision. It will probably be like the 2.7, ok for towing smaller rigs but underpowered for near max capability in the sense of my comfort level in passing ability, hills, etc.
I wouldnt buy it. In no way do i think chevy makes a better truck than ford.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt buy it. In no way do i think chevy makes a better truck than ford.

I don't buy them, just have to drive them. I wouldn't purchase the 4 banger or any ecoboost for personal use and that's after having both the 3.5 and now a 5.0 as my provided trucks. If I'm towing anywhere near max capability I'm going to get the 250 or one of the old Cummins. The new aluminum bodies don't feel nearly as planted towing, this coming from guys who drive them all day every day as well as myself.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I don't buy them, just have to drive them. I wouldn't purchase the 4 banger or any ecoboost for personal use and that's after having both the 3.5 and now a 5.0 as my provided trucks. If I'm towing anywhere near max capability I'm going to get the 250 or one of the old Cummins. The new aluminum bodies don't feel nearly as planted towing, this coming from guys who drive them all day every day as well as myself.

Lighter truck should feel lighter

Comp04svt

Established Member
My problem is why bother with a diesel now. I get they need to jump on the diesel band wagon because everyone else has one, but with this new 4 banger turbo, the diesel is extremely pointless. According to this video, the 2.7 makes peak torque at 1500 rpm, pretty much does everything the diesel would do, will make more power than the diesel with similar torque. It'll be quiet and you don't have to deal with regens and def fluid, plus it'll run regular fuel which is obviously cheaper. This is why GM has money problems. There is no need for a v6, there is no need for 2 versions of 5.3l motors, there is no need to offer 3 different transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread