4.6 timing chain tensioner mod for a 2 step ?

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
I seen a post a while back about how hard a 2 step is on the tensioners in 96+ cobras. the fix I seen was that you pulled the pin that ratchets in the tensioner out and grind some of the teeth off. I am trying to find that post again or have someone tell me that they done it and how many teeth they grinded off and at which end of the pin to grind off. I would like to find that post again, maybe you all know the link to it. idk if it was on this forum or another. and if it was to break on my car when using the 2 step, what damage would most likely happen, are these cars interference or non interference motors? any info would be greatly appreciated.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I believe you grind off 4 teeth some say more like 6 i think but id start with 4. and you take them off the the side that going inside the tensioner. You want the chain to be able to relax and NOT keep racheting tighter .You dont want the foot extended all the way out which out being able to retract a lil if that makes any sense. I was going to do the mod but I didnt because I plan on pulling it back apart to upgrade the top end. I dont think there is a thread about it on this forum. try corral or modfords

Users who are viewing this thread