4.10's +ported eaton

astippich

Established Member
Will I be able to get traction in first gear on the street with 500hp/500tq + 4.10's + bfg 315/17 dr's? I am contemplating the 4.10's right now as my car is awaiting steg's latest port.

20-COBRA-03

Banned
i'd say 3.73's... my fellow terminator owners from my area love them and feel that 4.10 are a tad high with that much HP/TQ.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've read of a couple of people who have swapped to a 4.10 and had little or no traction in first gear. This would be anything north of, say, 480rwhp. The more power/torque the greater the traction issue will be without the right tires. I also know of others who went with 3.73s and fared better. If you're racing, also consider what gear you're shooting for when you go through the lights. That alone would make the 3.73 a better choice. JMO.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
With my current power level and this cold weather my tires have to be really heated just to get traction in second....first anything more than half throttle and its going sideways. This is with 315 nitto's.....the bfg's are a stickier tire but I think the 4.10's will really give you some problems. With some really sticky tires it would probably be a monster @ the track.....but I think it would be useless on the street. 3.73's might be a better choice...

MTI LS1

3.90's are probably the optimal choice, but alot of people have taken them out b/c they whined like crazy. I wouldn't do 4.10's though, I'd rather have traction than worry about spinning.

davidsk5018

Established Member
I have the combo you are talking about, and I love the 4:10 gears, don't regret it at all. Even before the 4:10 gears, 1st gear was useless. Now, the car is more fun to drive all around.

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I have stock gears - added MM SF's - no pulley (yet), just diablo canned tune and CAI/exhaust and first and 1/2 second are useless WOT. (have some Nittio's - not on yet). You are gonna need drag slicks to hook with 4:10's........or a couple of bodies in the trunk. :eek:

Last edited:

Power Trip

Established Member
Depends what you want.. Do you want to optimize your gearing/tire for the track? Say 4.10's with a 27 or 26 inch tire.... If you just f around on the street then i wouldnt bother with the steep gear.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
fast1 said:
What do 03/04's come with stock? 3.55's?

Yep.

4.10s and a ported blower will require drag radials at a minimum. With 510 rwhp and DRs, you may be able to get traction in 2nd but 1st will have to be feathered.

The 4.10s are a fun street gear. Instant jump ahead performance.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
flyn high again said:
With 510 rwhp and DRs, you may be able to get traction in 2nd but 1st will have to be feathered.

Maybe the top of 2nd. I could never find traction until a second after
I powershifted into 3rd. I'd have to peddle the shit out of it up to
that point.

...and that was with the 3.55 gear.

Users who are viewing this thread