3rd altnator wtf (AutoZone)

SVT KLR

Established Member
My ford alt went out, bought a new one from autozone along with a new battery .. After a 15 mile trip that one went out.. Replaced it with another and put bout 20 miles on it and I'd shot, what the heck ?!?!? Just bought the car and haven't put many miles on it

ttk53

Established Member
My ford alt went out, bought a new one from autozone along with a new battery .. After a 15 mile trip that one went out.. Replaced it with another and put bout 20 miles on it and I'd shot, what the heck ?!?!? Just bought the car and haven't put many miles on it

Thats the problem. I went thru so many they finaly gave me my money back.

SVT KLR

Established Member
Yeah but dangg 2 within 50 miles lol

Imma check the wires and go from there

ttk53

Established Member
Yeah but dangg 2 within 50 miles lol

Imma check the wires and go from there

I had the same problem I have gone thru no joke 15 alts. mine were going that fast. Problem fianly went away when I replaced my BAP. cant confirm that was the problem but seems to have fixed it.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Auto zone alternators are junk. I had 5 of them, atleast. I now have the 160 AMP ebay alternator. It has worked fine so far.

racebronco2

Established Member
I went thru 5 of them before they gave me my money back. I now have one rebuilt locally for a spare and one from start-n-charge. After about the 3rd alternator i had them check out the alternator before i took it home. A couple of them showed bad out of the box. I once took my car to autozone for them to verify the alternator was charging in which they did. I went home removed the alternator and took it in. They put it on their testing machine and it showed good. Their machine doesn't show voltage. I was told by one of the employees there that as long as it's above 12volts it will show good.

SVT KLR

Established Member
Well my alt test good off the car (14.34v) but on the car it isn't doing anything? Fuseable link maybe?

Driver500

Established Member
Get them from ford..

Make sure the new one has the same pulley size as your old one. My car had underdrive pulleys on it from a previous owner and when I put the new alt on with the stock size smaller pulley it spun way way to fast when I took the car to my 6400rpm shift point. Swapped alts and swapped pulleys and all was well.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Do a search on here for Ebay alternator. Lot's of guys running it with success. I have it and it works great.

40calcobra

Established Member
I smoked like 9 alt's from autozone in one year! The only thing I get from them now is car wax

DEMARCO313

Established Member
Funny you make a thread about this as i'm at Ford right now having them put a new alternator in tmy car that they ordered for me. I know they're remanufactured, but I hear ppl still run them will no problems (as long as you get them from Ford and not no place like autozone O'reilly's etc) . It's also good because it comes with a warranty and should something go wrong with it, it's free plus free labor so that's cool.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I strongly suggest nobody ever buys a autozone ALT case point rebuilt. Just buy a new one.

Example following: Bought a autozone brand ALT and failed within 2 weeks. Bought a ebay junked one for 40$ and has been on since

Users who are viewing this thread