392 Wrangler.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I don’t see this really affecting bronco sales. People buy these cars for the looks, the image, And the lifestyle of owning a Jeep. Very few buy them to go crazy off reading in, and those that do, this engine may not be a game changer.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Once again the ‘HEMI all the things’ mentality is winning.

You really have to hope that Ford has something up it’s sleeve like maybe a 5.2 predator motor in the new raptor or some sort of V-8 in a car designed for a straight line fun. Pretty sure there won’t be a V8 bronco.

The difference here is, nobody ever expected a V-8 wrangler because one has never existed in the past. Most of us that are dreaming about the new bronco are thinking about 302 and 351 powered broncos of the past and the idea of a new one with the 2.7 V6 eco-boost motor does not fill that gap. I would not be shocked if a few disappointed/potential bronco buyers suddenly see a 392 Wrangler as the off roader they really wanted.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I completely agree and don't deny that. The Wrangler owns the trails but Ford and Toyota have been/are tapping into the overland market that is very large and expanding. Ford seems to be slotting itself in the middle. The Bronco will cut out its own segment of the market in time.

Toyota has taken a small little piece of Wranglers market, it still doesn’t directly compete. They appeal to different people. Wrangler absolutely dominates the “serious” off-road market. Toyota 4Runner/Tacoma’s are highly capable off-road vehicles (dead nuts reliable) but really pale in comparison to what a Wrangler can really do.

Ford hasn’t even been in the picture. It just now enters the segment with the Bronco and it will find itself in between the Wrangler and 4Runner. Not quite a wrangler, not quite a 4runner.

Would like to see a badass Bronco, but given Ford’s recent history, I won’t be holding my breath.

Then the new Bronco?

See above for my opinion on that.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
LOL not production... Jeeps drive like a bag of squirrels as it is, 400+ hp in a Wrangler? Hard pass. Theres a chance the 5.7 Hemi finds its way into one, but it will be $60k and up, and thusly, worthless IMO.
As far as the Bronco, it's gonna do just fine with a 2.7 TT, 7 speed manual and optional 4.70 gearing with electronic lockers.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Also, Jeep has been selling around 200k Wranglers a year, anyone thinking those are mostly "hardcore" types is delusional. It's MAYBE 10k per year to the hardcore types. The rest just want a cool SUV that has removable doors, top, etc... Granted there will be the "in betweeners" who will go wheeling, but won't lift it beyond 2", won't put above a 37" tire on it, etc. I think the casual cool suv buyer and the middle ground types, Ford can easily steal sales from. The hardcore guys, well they are a different breed. They don't buy Rubicons. They buy the cheapest one possible, and mod the christ out of it to get as much Chrysler trash outta the thing as possible.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL not production... Jeeps drive like a bag of squirrels as it is, 400+ hp in a Wrangler? Hard pass. Theres a chance the 5.7 Hemi finds its way into one, but it will be $60k and up, and thusly, worthless IMO.
As far as the Bronco, it's gonna do just fine with a 2.7 TT, 7 speed manual and optional 4.70 gearing with electronic lockers.

Have you driven a JL?

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Really? When I was there I saw just as many built Broncos as I did Jeeps. The whole town was filled with Broncos and Wranglers.

This was just one of the nicer ones I saw but there were offroad vehicles everywhere. Honda was even there showing off their latest dirt bikes and quads and side by sides to dealers.

View attachment 1651375

I admit that I didn't spend my time actively looking for them, just that they are not prevalent enough for me to have noticed. We'll be there the end of the September. I'll make a mental note to look out for them more. Maybe they are there and I've just not noticed.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Hook line and sinker.

Ford is really scaring the jeep boys.

john11gt

Established Member
Hook line and sinker.

Ford is really scaring the jeep boys.

lol what... scaring them into giving the people what they wanted?

Ford is trying to appeal to the casual off-roader/overlander. Sure the crawl gear and rear dig is neat but it will be a novelty for most because the people that would actually use...NEED those, don’t want the suspension that’s on it.

there’s one guy on here that keeps sucking the ifs dick but the fact is that the ifs is going to stop it from being as popular, especially second hand as a jeep. Price out some IFS lifts and get back to me.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
lol what... scaring them into giving the people what they wanted?

Ford is trying to appeal to the casual off-roader/overlander. Sure the crawl gear and rear dig is neat but it will be a novelty for most because the people that would actually use...NEED those, don’t want the suspension that’s on it.

there’s one guy on here that keeps sucking the ifs dick but the fact is that the ifs is going to stop it from being as popular, especially second hand as a jeep. Price out some IFS lifts and get back to me.
Giving them what?

It was a teaser pic.

Hook line and sinker

IA Shelby

Established Member
I don’t see this really affecting bronco sales. People buy these cars for the looks, the image, And the lifestyle of owning a Jeep. Very few buy them to go crazy off reading in, and those that do, this engine may not be a game changer.
‘I own a loaded JL Rubicon. I have owned several jeeps. I bought my latest because of the dramatic improvements across the board. I do like the looks and the Jeep ownership bond so to speak but the real reason I purchased it, is because of the versatility. I can go anywhere. In the winter, no issues and it comes with heated seats and steering wheel. In the spring in 3 min I can remove the freedom tops and have a fantastic targa. In 10 min I can pull the top and go full convertible. Last night took the kids to watch fireworks with the top off. I can tow basic stuff in my aluminum trailer if I need to pick up a couch or something. It does it all and holds it value better than almost anything on the road. If it gets a V-8, I will definitely pick one up and not flinch if the price tag is $70k. It is multiple vehicles in one for me. I do like the Bronco and hope they give us buyers another option. If I had the space I would add an old International Scout and have it resto-modded. Those are cool imo

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Only people Ford is scaring are their loyalists. Lol

I know Ford scared me away. I am a life long Ford guy but unless there is real change at both the corporate and dealership levels, Ford already has seen my last new car purchase dollar. I am not holding my breath for change any time soon.

john11gt

Established Member
I know Ford scared me away. I am a life long Ford guy but unless there is real change at both the corporate and dealership levels, Ford already has seen my last new car purchase dollar. I am not holding my breath for change any time soon.

Agreed. I’ve only ever owned Fords except my jeep but when it came time to buy a used truck a few years ago, ford just didn’t have anything in my price range or quality point. I ended up with an 07 LBZ duramax.

ford has continually lacked cool or exciting cars in my opinion and the next car I buy will not be a ford again, instead it will be
a Chevy SS with an Ls3.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Are you just trolling or something? Even if it’s just a teaser, they’re still teasing what people want. Has ford “teased” a bronco with a 7.3?

Lol , why because i point out the obvious?

Ford isnt going to tease because the are not gonna put a 7.3 in a bronco. Hopefully someone will puts a 7.3 in a bronco as a project.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Agreed. I’ve only ever owned Fords except my jeep but when it came time to buy a used truck a few years ago, ford just didn’t have anything in my price range or quality point. I ended up with an 07 LBZ duramax.

ford has continually lacked cool or exciting cars in my opinion and the next car I buy will not be a ford again, instead it will be
a Chevy SS with an Ls3.

But you clearly dont buy new vehicles so it doesn't matter. Ford is selling to those actually buying brand new vehicles.

john11gt

Established Member
Lol , why because i point out the obvious?

Ford isnt going to tease because the are not gonna put a 7.3 in a bronco. Hopefully someone will puts a 7.3 in a bronco as a project.

What is obvious? That’s it a “teaser”?

Chrysler/jeep has been consistently putting the hellcat in everything, why would you assume they won’t put a 6.4 in the wrangler or gladiator?

Users who are viewing this thread