392 Wrangler.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I sense a little concern with Jeep though. They have had no competition for all of these years and now that the Bronco is being unveiled in a few days they make a move to steal the spotlight back by announcing a V8? To be honest, I thought the Wrangler already came with the 5.7 but I must be thinking of something else. Jeep is trying to make itself look unique because they are concerned that the Wrangler as it is won't be enough anymore, and they are right. The Wrangler leaves a lot to be desired that Ford will capitalize on.

This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Wrangler OWNS their market share. The V8 now puts the nail in the coffin for all other manufacturers.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Wrangler OWNS their market share. The V8 now puts the nail in the coffin for all other manufacturers.

I have to disagree to an extent. Of course they own the market being they have been the only mainstay all this time, but the Bronco brand, nameplate, and following itself is still huge! Go down to Moab and tell me what two vehicles you see the most of.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I think if anyone one should be worried it's Toyota and the 4Runners.

4Runner is pushing +10 years now and is a $40k truck with a meh-6 engine.

It's the last Body-Frame "small" SUV.

Wrong. Tacoma and 4runner compete in a different segment.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I have to disagree to an extent. Of course they own the market being they have been the only mainstay all this time, but the Bronco brand, nameplate, and following itself is still huge! Go down to Moab and tell me what two vehicles you see the most of.

I really like the old broncos; wouldn’t mind owning one myself. Wrangler is about off-road / rock crawling. Many vehicles can off-road but none like wrangler. Wrangler owns that segment. It’s not even close. No Bronco, 4runner, etc. will do what a wrangler can do off road.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member

Wranglers and side-by-sides. I go down to Moab nearly every September and sorry to say I rarely see Broncos while we are there.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I really like the old broncos; wouldn’t mind owning one myself. Wrangler is about off-road / rock crawling. Many vehicles can off-road but none like wrangler. Wrangler owns that segment. It’s not even close. No Bronco, 4runner, etc. will do what a wrangler can do off road.

I completely agree and don't deny that. The Wrangler owns the trails but Ford and Toyota have been/are tapping into the overland market that is very large and expanding. Ford seems to be slotting itself in the middle. The Bronco will cut out its own segment of the market in time.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Wranglers and side-by-sides. I go down to Moab nearly every September and sorry to say I rarely see Broncos while we are there.

Really? When I was there I saw just as many built Broncos as I did Jeeps. The whole town was filled with Broncos and Wranglers.

This was just one of the nicer ones I saw but there were offroad vehicles everywhere. Honda was even there showing off their latest dirt bikes and quads and side by sides to dealers.

Screenshot_20200711-222032_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Really? When I was there I saw just as many built Broncos as I did Jeeps. The whole town was filled with Broncos and Wranglers.

This was just one of the nicer ones I saw but there were offroad vehicles everywhere. Honda was even there showing off their latest dirt bikes and quads and side by sides to dealers.

View attachment 1651375
And you really think any of those guys rocking 40 year old carb 351 swapped Broncos that they restored, rebuilt and chopped up are craving a!New IFS 4-banger for $40k?

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
And you really think any of those guys rocking 40 year old carb 351 swapped Broncos that they restored, rebuilt and chopped up are craving a!New IFS 4-banger for $40k?

As a daily driver? Probably. I'm building my 95 Bronco right now and plan on getting a new Bronco to replace my Fiesta ST. I'm not expecting to have the new Bronco replace the old ones at all, but I just like them and want one as a daily driver.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I have a 1970 Bronco, 302 auto,. I wanted to get a new one when I heard about them, was hoping it would be the 2020 MY with a 5.0 just because it would have been cool to have the 2 50 years apart. Sorry but the ecoboost only option was a big disappointment for me. i am not going to spend that kind of money on a Bronco with an ecoboost, I don't care how cute it is. Now, the 392 Wrangler? that's something I would seriously consider.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 1970 Bronco, 302 auto,. I wanted to get a new one when I heard about them, was hoping it would be the 2020 MY with a 5.0 just because it would have been cool to have the 2 50 years apart. Sorry but the ecoboost only option was a big disappointment for me. i am not going to spend that kind of money on a Bronco with an ecoboost, I don't care how cute it is. Now, the 392 Wrangler? that's something I would seriously consider.
I'm sure Ford is just planning on releasing a Raptor version with a 7.3....

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
My guess is that Jeep won’t bring this to market until MY22. I’m sure this is causing some hand-wringing at Ford, though. I’m hopeful, but doubtful that Ford will counter-punch with a V8 until they view some sales numbers.

ndinadis

Established Member
I was speaking to a friend that works for ford yesterday
The new 2 and 4 door bronco is made off the next generation ranger platform that’s not out anywhere yet, the 2.7 ecoboost I have in my f150 is an option and I found felt much quicker then the 5.0.
The bronco sport is based of the new generation focus platform that the escape is based off of (basically a station wagon size)

I can’t see that ford will add a v8 option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
MPG on the daily driven bronco will walk all over a 6.4. That's a no brainer.

Has anyone seen what a tuned/boosted 2.7 Ecoboost will do yet? It's very impressive, to say the least.

With that said, I'd love to find the Bronco with a bigger powerplant, but it comes down to accountants & cafe standards running most of the show I think.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
While interested...realize Jeep also makes a TON of cool content that they bring on the Easter Safari...but none of it is intended for production.

If you are arguing that FCA doesn't have the balls to give the people what they want, you are sadly mistaken.

Great move Jeep!! Hope they do a 392 wrangler/gladiator soon.

Users who are viewing this thread