351w going into '97 Cobra!

FunkyBoss

Established Member
So I have finally decided my build route. After years of messing around with the mod motors, I am making the jump to pushrod. I sold my nitrous kit yesterday and plan to pick up a complete 351w long block over the weekend. A buddy of mine is selling the engine and he thinks it was rebuilt shortly before he got it, but I will certainly be tearing things down to take a look. My plan at the moment is to stick with the standard bore/stroke and throw on some good heads (AFR 185's, TFS, or GT-40's) with an edlebrock intake, 650/750 carb, and streetable cam. Behind all of this will be a built c4 transmission with a streetable stall and trans brake. I'm not looking for huge hp/tq number, just a little more than these 4v torqueless wonders can dish out NA.

Before all of this happens, I will need a DD, so everything is in the planning stage at the moment (with the exception of picking the motor up. I still have a lot of research to do as I haven't had alot of experience with SBF's, although I'm excited to get things rolling, I'm not in a huge rush. Does anyone here have experience with the 351w? Any suggestions for H/C/I combo's? Once I get the DD, my 4v and trans will be up for sale, any idea how much they would go for on ebay? Alot of the part I go with will depend on the sale of my current stuff.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Nice! My eventual goal for my car is to throw in a built 351w. Its a lot more work than just plug and play though, even going from 5.0 to 5.8. I would definitly go with some AFR heads over gt40s though. GT40s are pretty weak compared to most aftermarket heads, I'm having a hard time squeezing any more than 275/280ish horsepower out of mine on my 5.0.

Good luck with the project and keep us updated.

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
damn i would have keep the nitrous kit and sprayed the 351 there are a couple companies that make some nice stroker kits that are very nice.

94CobraPace

Established Member
Depending on the hp level, might go with a little larger heads, AFR 205's. Need to get the front accessories as they are different than 302's. Depends on how high you will rev for the Intake, for good all around street car, the Edelbrock air gap (dual plane), for higher hp, then get a single plane. Cam will need more research, depends on the head, cam, stall and weight of the car.

250psd

Established Member
I don't wanna be a downer on your project but with a numbered car like a Cobra why put a different motor in it? They may not be appreciated in value yet and don't get me wrong mine is modded, Why not just find a cheap v6 to throw a 351w in?

qkslvr221

Established Member
I don't wanna be a downer on your project but with a numbered car like a Cobra why put a different motor in it? They may not be appreciated in value yet and don't get me wrong mine is modded, Why not just find a cheap v6 to throw a 351w in?

I was thinking the same thing! It would be so much cheaper to sell the cobra, buy a cheap V6 and throw the 351 in!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I'd sell the cobra, get a DD and pick up a 94-95 GT to do it with.

Less problems with wireing and running wheels with big and skinnies will not have brake clearence issues.

The $$4 from the Cobra will let you get a GT and have some to spare.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
This Cobra has been beat into the ground, I doubt I could get much for it. Although it still runs like a champ, it's pushing 160k and will most likely need a rebuild soon. I actually sold my Procharged '02 GT to buy a '94 GT with a built 331 stroker, when that deal fell through I bought the Cobra. These cars aren't really that rare and I'm not really concerned about keeping it original.

You guys made some good point, I didn't think about the brakes being too big but that's not a huge concern. Going carburated shoud take some of the guess work out of wiring, the only thing I am unsure of is the gauges, I'm assuming I'll have to make something custom. Here are the things I know I'll need:

- 94-95 k-member, I plan on using an AJE tubular w/coilover
- 351 oil pan and pump for a fox swap
- Headers for a fox swap, I would like to go with LT's
- Vacuum assisted brake booster, one off of a V6 will do
- In-line fuel pump

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, please feel free to add to that list for me. The car will be primarily for the drag strip, but I want it streetable for my Sunday drives :coolman: and occasional commute to work. With that said, I'm done with a manual tranny. I like the idea of the C4 and a transbrake would be sweet, but that all depend on how much I have to spend.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
The V6 has the 7.5 rear though. I could downgrade my brake system cheaper than upgrading my rear, not that I will do that lol. I'm sure the 94/95 GT would be the best doner car, but i'd rather stick with what I got.

S351R13

Established Member
You'll have to replace pretty much the entire wiring harness to get it to work. The Cobra computer won't work nor its engine harness. If you swap them you have to change out the entire harness, the computer, the instrument cluster, etc..

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
You'll have to replace pretty much the entire wiring harness to get it to work. The Cobra computer won't work nor its engine harness. If you swap them you have to change out the entire harness, the computer, the instrument cluster, etc..

He's going carbed, so he won't need the ECU, harness, etc.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I'd sell the cobra, get a DD and pick up a 94-95 GT to do it with.
Less problems with wireing and running wheels with big and skinnies will not have brake clearence issues.
The $$4 from the Cobra will let you get a GT and have some to spare.

I agree. You will also have fitment issues with the PS/PB booster, radiator/cooling and the a/c. You'll also need a new K member.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
don't be a vagina. If you are gonna put something like a 351 in it, why not go all out and punch the thing out to 408 cubes so that you can actually make some real power.

The 380rwhp you are gonna get out of a lame ass 351 is gonna get boring real quick.

Users who are viewing this thread