31BCobra Fore Level 2 Return Install Thread

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Hey Bud, been reading through your thread. What throttle body do you have? I assume stock because I didn't find any mention of one. If you have a mono blade it may be leaking air. Mine leaks air like crazy and is very annoying. To prove it was the source of the leak I packed it with putty like this.

IMAG1302_resized.jpg

That cured my vacuum leak issues and made my car idle like a champ etc.

I noticed you were asking if the car should idle or die when the IAC is unplugged and you got a variety of answers. The reason is because it depends. If the car is already getting enough air to idle it will stay idling although the RPMs may or may not drop depending on how much air it's getting. If the car is not getting enough air it will die. How can a car be getting enough air? Well if your throttle body for example leaks a fair amount of air the car can continue to idle. I've also seen cars idle through the PCV system. Air is drawn through the intake tube (between air filter and throttle body) into one valve cover, through the block and out the other valve cover and into the intake. Pinch a PCV line in that case and the car dies.

You've mentioned a few times that your TPS is showing 19% at idle. Is that through the Torque app? Have you data logged it's actual "counts" with SCT software or handheld? You could even just check it with a digital volt meter (DVM). I use a safety pin or similar to press through the insulation of the wire near the sensor and then hook up to the DVM. You should see between .90 and .98 volts with the car idling. You can test/adjust with key on engine off. The closer you can get it to .90 the better I've found. If you're above .98 that's an issue. You have to take a dremel and slot the holes on the sensor to allow adjustment. They are super sensitive. The readings will change just synching down the screws to hold it in place. Take the time to check and recheck and then verify with the car running.

As for vacuum I saw you say Torque app. While that may be correct bare in mind I'm pretty sure the Torque app uses inferred values from calculation of engine load to give a reading. There is no vacuum/boost sensor on our motors to datalog that actual value. In fact GT500s from the factory used this very inferred calculation for their boost gauges on the dash. It makes it tricky when upgrading blowers or changing anything on the motor because that gauge is now completely wrong because it's calculated values.
My point it get a real vacuum gauge and stick it on the car and check that way. If you're truly seeing -20 of vacuum with cams in the car that's pretty amazing. Granted they are just GT cams.

That popping in your exhaust is weird for sure. Never heard anything like it.

Another thought.... Kurgen had to add 20% fuel just to get the car to idle. You know i had to do that on my own car when the boost bypass valve was stuck. My blower wouldn't go into recirculation mode and was just pushing boost into the motor constantly. I didn't realize what was going on at first and confused why I had to add so much fuel just to get a crappy idle. Would be worth checking. Take a hand operated vacuum pump and hookup to your bypass valve and see that it actuates correctly and if it does then next make sure its plumbed in correctly.

I know you're frustrated and looking for another tuner but remember Kurgan is no stranger to tuning our cars. He's probably correct in that there's something not right with your car.

Good luck and keep us updated.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Thanks for the advice Malcolm! I was finally able to get the thing smoke tested. There was a leak around the TPS, the EGR blockoff place was kinda leaking through the bolt threads, and there was a leak behind the hood cowl cover that I could not see or hear when troubleshooting it. The car runs a lot better now, but is still kinda funky because it is basically on another baseline tune until I can have it retuned next week.

Will have to wait until next week to see if it is all sealed up now, or if there is still leaks. Going to check if the throttle blade is leaking with putty. I am using a monoblade accufab.

I have been wanting to swap the lower pulley to one that will generate more boost as I am only at 16-17psi right now. I found one that looks exactly like the metco motorsports ones, but the issue is that the measurements don't seem to be right. I see on their website that a +6 is 9.10" and +8 is 9.55", but the one I have measures 9.25" without a belt and about 9.35 with a belt. Am I measuring this thing wrong? I also have a 2.900 upper, think that the lower will overspin the 2.3 whipple?

Image of the pulley. Measured a 9.25" flange to flange. 9.35" with the belt on it.

vx8jGQd.jpg

I am thinking it is a 9.1" +6 pulley. But just wondering if someone else can confirm.

Last edited:

31BCobra

Established Member
Update NOV 5 2015: -Got the 6lb lower crank pulley on. Whipple says that +6lbs and a 2.900 will overspin the blower on the very top end, but should not really affect anything as long as I am not constantly in that RPM range. I decided to go with it since I rarely even take the car to redline.
-I ended up juggling idlers around because the 100mm that was next to the crank pulley was in the way of the +6lb pulley. Ended up putting a 90mm down there and the 100mm up top next to the snub idler.
-Had an idler bearing let go this afternoon as I was pulling the car out. Figures since I was supposed to drop it off tonight for more tune revisions tomorrow. This car always acts up when I am on a time crunch. Got the idler replaced with a stock one for the time being so that I do not miss my tuning appt.
-Car still drags a bit, I think there is still an air leak somewhere. Will see how the tuning changes that and possibly have another smoke test done.

Hopefully will update with some WOT #s and good news on the car dragging in gear tomorrow. It is going to be a really cool day so that should help with the tuning.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn you rarely go to redline? What's the fun in that lol.

31BCobra

Established Member
Well, I mean like when I drive the car once or twice a month, I might take it to redline a few times. So compared to someone hammering on it everyday I think it is pretty rare. haha.

bigmoose

Established Member
Well, I mean like when I drive the car once or twice a month, I might take it to redline a few times. So compared to someone hammering on it everyday I think it is pretty rare. haha.
I drive mine the same way. For the same reason I'm not worried about over spinning my alt when I go to a 4# lower.

I know you have been chasing a vacuum leak. Is there any chance one of your lower manifold gaskets isn't seated properly?

31BCobra

Established Member
I drive mine the same way. For the same reason I'm not worried about over spinning my alt when I go to a 4# lower.

I know you have been chasing a vacuum leak. Is there any chance one of your lower manifold gaskets isn't seated properly?

As much as I hated doing it, that was one of the first things I checked. Pulled everything back apart and put it back together nice and slow to make sure it was all on there right. Replaced the gaskets as well. I also sprayed carb cleaner around the lower manifold while idling and never found any change in idle. Although the carb cleaner didnt work when I sprayed it on the EGR and the smoke test found that was leaking.

31BCobra

Established Member
Update from tonight: Car is making 24psi now picked up something close to 100 torque. But there is some serious belt slipping going on around 4k rpm so it really did not gain any horsepower over the last dyno on 16psi. Belt size might be off so hunting around for some to put on tomorrow and try again. 95% sure the vac leaks are cleared up at this point.

Anyone know anybody selling a Thump RRR tensioner?

31BCobra

Established Member
Got the tightest belt that we can get on the system. Car is still dropping 4psi around 5k. Made 651/692.

I am wondering if I have just reached the limitation of the stock 2.3 inlet?

31BCobra

Established Member
Final #s ended up being 699/705.
The blower is running out of juice up top and dropping 4psi overall from 25psi to 21ish. Not sure if a crusher inlet would help or it is just the limitation of the blower. Either way I am pretty damn happy with it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome man! Your running a whipple 2.3? If so 25psi seems like a lot. It probably isn't as efficient as a bigger blower would be.

31BCobra

Established Member
Awesome man! Your running a whipple 2.3? If so 25psi seems like a lot. It probably isn't as efficient as a bigger blower would be.

Yep, you are absolutely right. The standard inlet and the size of the 2.3 are making it like sucking air through a straw right now. It is just completely tapped. Maybe I will do a bigger blower in the future, but since ~700 was my target I am more than satisfied. Kurgan knows his stuff and was able to squeeze way more power out of it than I thought was possible.

I would like to apologize to Kurgan in case anyone else reads through the entire thread, because I doubted that he knew what was going on at one point and I was completely wrong. There were a few vac leaks that were hidden from some ****ery the previous owner did and that made me think I had it all fixed. The car is running great now and pulls like a monster and engine brakes like a champ now, no more dragging throttle.

Once I start putting all the trim and wiring back together I will take pictures of my final setup for the fuel system, since that was the original point of the thread. Thanks for all the help over the last few months everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread