31 states now collect sale tax on online orders.

JJackson515

Established Member
Do you file for your sale tax id in each state or do they do it? Not having to have a presence now causes the need to get a sales tax Id anywhere you ship a product.

I have them autofile for my state i have a presence in currently, which is nebraska. Amazon autofiles for me for other states as they collect it. i need to circle around with my accountant to see what he wants me to do with these other states. most likely i will probably have taxjar.com autofile states where i meet the thresholds.

TaraFirma

Established Member
No sales tax for out-of-state purchases was nice while it lasted. If I want tax free now, I have to shop at AAFES on post. I can still get big purchases tax free there. When tax filing time comes around, I write off all the sales tax that I paid throughout the year. So I guess it evens out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From the standpoint of the retailer, obviously smaller businesses are very concerned about have to charge state sales tax for sales to customers in those states who require it, which is growing. But there is a new bill call the Online Sales Simplicity and Small Business Relief Act which sheds a faint glimmer of hope for smaller businesses.

"A new online sales bill introduced to the House on 9/13/18 would include an exemption for small businesses that generate less than $10 million in annual U.S. e-commerce sales. Based on Internet Retailer research, the bill would require the 1,629 retailers that generated e-commerce sales of at least $10 million last year to collect sales tax on remote sales while allowing smaller merchants to avoid doing so.

Similar to the bill Rep. Bob Gibbs (R-Ohio) introduced earlier this month, this bill—called Online Sales Simplicity and Small Business Relief Act—is a response to the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Wayfair v. South Dakota, which allows states to require out-of-state merchants to collect and remit local sales tax on goods sold to their residents.

The new bipartisan bill, sponsored by Reps. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wisc.), Anna Eshoo (D-Calif.), Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.) and Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), would prohibit states from forcing out-of-state retailers to remit sales taxes from sales prior to June 21, the date of the Wayfair decision. It would prevent states from imposing sales tax collection duties until Jan. 10, 2019 and, most notably, it would carve out a $10 million exemption for small business sellers until the states produce a Congress-approved bill that, according to the bill, would simplify sales tax collection to the point where no small business exemption would be necessary."

Some watchdog sites give this bill a less than 10% chance of being approved, so the future of a lot of small businesses appear to still be in jeopardy.

Users who are viewing this thread