3.7 mustang vs 370z

Fooln Ya

Established Member
Nice runs OP! Anything can happen on the skreets....

That said, you DEF have to have 3.31's, cause a 2.73 car isn't gonna be anywhere near a 370z. My best stock time (2.73s) is one of the quickest Ive seen out of any stock car (2.73 or 3.31, auto or m6), and that was a 13.78 @ 102. Still a ways away from a stock 370.

Why all the 'hate' on the v6 stang? CFM has their procharged car going 11.20's @ 119mph, stock motor, gears, boltons, little suspension, blower. Hell, these motors are holding 650hp at the crank before they let go. A member of AFM was running 550whp for over 9k miles before his let go. Not too shabby.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
I haven't heard much about the 3.7 with F/I? Very interested to see what numbers they

put down and track times....

WorldsQuickest37Mustang.gif

If you go to the website that is listed on the hood stripe of the car you can find out all the details on the car.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
WorldsQuickest37Mustang.gif

If you go to the website that is listed on the hood stripe of the car you can find out all the details on the car.

Yeah but how much money was dumped into it?? SC and tt Z have higher traps than that...the guy at AFM acts like the v6 stang is some kinda secret super car in the making LOL...they are impressive for what they are I guess...I'm more impressed with a Z anyday

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Yeah but how much money was dumped into it?? SC and tt Z have higher traps than that...the guy at AFM acts like the v6 stang is some kinda secret super car in the making LOL...they are impressive for what they are I guess...I'm more impressed with a Z anyday

I'm not impressed with Z's for the money.

Dragu1a

Established Member
My car is a 2012 Performance package with CAI and GT500 cat-back exhaust. He said his car had Axle back exhaust and CAI. We run from a 35 roll he honks it off. I hit second and spin quite a bit, went to about 70 and shut down he put a half a car on me. then we went from a 45 and i instantly put a half a car on him as soon as we were off, he missed a gear and we shut down. Happy with the outcome. Love my V6! :rockon:

Sounds like a claimed win to me...
I've seen a few these new v6 stories claiming to have a lot of wheel spin, I didn't realize they made that much hp/tq. Hell, if I get a good shift I can get 2nd to grab pretty quickly w/out a lot of spin.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
+1 You can put a turbo on a new 6 for the cost of a base 370Z.

This!!

Sounds like a claimed win to me...
I've seen a few these new v6 stories claiming to have a lot of wheel spin, I didn't realize they made that much hp/tq. Hell, if I get a good shift I can get 2nd to grab pretty quickly w/out a lot of spin.

My '11 V6 with 235/50/18 Michelins will spin the tires really hard from a 1st gear roll and spin really bad on the 1-2 shift. It has 3.73 gears and 1st gear in the V6 MT82 trans is 4.24 to 1.

Fooln Ya

Established Member
This was my worse track day yet. The first run I tried to pedal through it, thought I felt it hook, laid into it again... bad idea, lol. The second run you can hear me hit 2nd, then lift and get on it again, then listen to the wheelspin in 3rd. The last run against the sn95 I spun ALL of 2nd gear, the whole damn thing. Let the gt stay a lot closer then it shouldve..

2012 Mustang 3.7l v6- Traction issues at the track - YouTube

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
+1 You can put a turbo on a new 6 for the cost of a base 370Z.

and you can buy an SI turbo that for less than the price of a turbo mustang>>>whats the point? That can be said about allot of cars. The 370Z is still the better car and platform for an all out motorsports vehicle

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
and you can buy an SI turbo that for less than the price of a turbo mustang>>>whats the point? That can be said about allot of cars. The 370Z is still the better car and platform for an all out motorsports vehicle

I think his point and mine as well is that he's not impressed with the Z for the price. :shrug:

Fooln Ya

Established Member
$22,500 + $1k in mods already + ~$5k for turbo/procharger kit = bottom 12's/high 11s AND 28-29mpg's.... not the fastest for the money, as you could boost a fox or import, etc and make crazy power for less. But as for a new car, with the ride quality, comfort, style, etc, its not too bad a deal. The 3.7 mustang isn't the best thing since sliced bread, but in stock form, for what you get, they are real hard to beat value-wise. Start throwing mods to them, well, my car and z28th1s's car shows what can be done. Boost just takes it to the next level!

Dragu1a

Established Member
My '11 V6 with 235/50/18 Michelins will spin the tires really hard from a 1st gear roll and spin really bad on the 1-2 shift. It has 3.73 gears and 1st gear in the V6 MT82 trans is 4.24 to 1.

Dang, that's like a bicycle tire...haha. Makes a little more sense now.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
:??::shrug: That's great, its called an opinion
I can make 30 whp of a $100 mod and for under $500 make over 80 whp on the 335i. I can take the JB out (takes less than 30 min) and return to dealer to perform any maintenance without them knowing it ever had a chip. Would love to see another car do that and make that much power for that cheap.

No one said the V6 Mustang was the better car. Everyone would expect the 370Z to be the faster car being lighter, more power. Now, the platform being better against the new Mustang's in general? You better have times or data to back that up :poke:

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
:??::shrug: That's great, its called an opinion

I can make 30 whp of a $100 mod and for under $500 make over 80 whp on the 335i. I can take the JB out (takes less than 30 min) and return to dealer to perform any maintenance without them knowing it ever had a chip. Would love to see another car do that and make that much power for that cheap.

No one said the V6 Mustang was the better car. Everyone would expect the 370Z to be the faster car being lighter, more power. Now, the platform being better against the new Mustang's in general? You better have times or data to back that up :poke:

well since your talking strictly numbers gain only, diesel vehicles have been doing this for years. My old duramax diesel gain 170rwhp and 350rwtq with a simple race only calibration tune. Any good turbo or turbo diesel vehicle will get amazing gains with a good tune. The 335i is not alone in anyway or the first. I love the 335i, but to throw that out as a Standard or benchmark like that...gains like that have been going on WAAAY before it.

As far as the 370z...well on thier boards ive seen traps as high as 125-130 for the turbo version....pretty much just traction is the issue. Ill have to check closer. But not to mention the car is lighter, handles like a DREAM and is throughly a real sports car. I ve seen a 370Z mild to meduim suspension work hold it own and keep up with a GTR around the track

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
well since your talking strictly numbers gain only, diesel vehicles have been doing this for years. My old duramax diesel gain 170rwhp and 350rwtq with a simple race only calibration tune. Any good turbo or turbo diesel vehicle will get amazing gains with a good tune. The 335i is not alone in anyway or the first. I love the 335i, but to throw that out as a Standard or benchmark like that...gains like that have been going on WAAAY before it.
I wasn't talking about just gains, I mean't everything in general (still warrantied, easy to put, huge gains, etc) JB1 is $100 for 30whp (can get them used for under $80). Trust me, I know how Duramax perform with a simple tune, seen them and been in them with and without the tune. Difference is night and day.
As far as the 370z...well on thier boards ive seen traps as high as 125-130 for the turbo version....pretty much just traction is the issue. Ill have to check closer. But not to mention the car is lighter, handles like a DREAM and is throughly a real sports car. I ve seen a 370Z mild to meduim suspension work hold it own and keep up with a GTR around the track
I heard nothing but bad things on the internals on the VQ37. It's a great car don't get me wrong, I was considering a G37 before the 335i (was actually going dealer to dealer for one). But I heard the engine is not reliable for over 500hp (don't know if its true but something I read, blaming the internals) The times i've seen against a 5.0 GT's were pretty damn close and/or similar on track. In Canyon's im sure the 370Z would take it but given that the 5.0 is over 3500 lbs and keeping up to it tells you a lot about its platform.

Again though, no one said the 370Z wasn't the better car over the V6 or the slower car. In this particular case, the V6 beat it or was about the same, doesn't mean the results will always be the same.

RedBeauty84ZX

Established Member
I heard nothing but bad things on the internals on the VQ37. It's a great car don't get me wrong, I was considering a G37 before the 335i (was actually going dealer to dealer for one). But I heard the engine is not reliable for over 500hp (don't know if its true but something I read, blaming the internals) The times i've seen against a 5.0 GT's were pretty damn close and/or similar on track. In Canyon's im sure the 370Z would take it but given that the 5.0 is over 3500 lbs and keeping up to it tells you a lot about its platform.

You heard wrong, the early VQ35DEs were done internally at around 500WHP due to the rods. The newer VQ35HRs and VQ37VHRs have internals that can withstand over 600WHP on a factory bottom end. In fact the VQ37VHR is a much more reliable engine then the N54 in the 335is...

FWIW a stock 370Z is about on par with a stock LS1 in straight line performance, and responds similar to bolt ons. Its not hard to get 12s out of a bolt on Z...

Users who are viewing this thread