3.4 Whipple and RET strikes again!

BUMPSTICKS

Established Member
3.4 Whipple and RET strikes again! Video added!

So I sold my little 2.3 Whipple that was making 575/565 on 91 octane and 16# of boost. Upgraded to the 3.4, ditched the returnless fuel set up, and stepped up to a BA3000 maf. Took the car to Racers Edge Tuning and on 91 octane and 18# of boost it made 628/574. Still having a voltage drop issue up top so I had Greg leave it real fat. Those numbers are with 15deg of timing on 10.6 A/F till about 5000. Once the voltage drop issues gets worked out and we can tune it 11.5 all the way across, it should make more power!!!

Greg doesnt like me running 18# but I already have a 4" upper pulley, so until I get a de-lowering ring I will have to cut the fuel. I will get the video up later when RET emails it to me. The best thing about it is I didnt lose any power/tq. through the curve.

I might just keep it on 18lbs to prove you can run that much on 91 though...

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
congrats! gotta love that on 91 octane

did you need to do anything with the hood for clearance for that 3.4 blower?

oldmodman

Established Member
I don't think Greg will allow an unsafe tune out his door. Since his shop is in California he is totally familiar with the crappy gas here. It will be great when more stations are carrying E85 here in SoCal.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Congrats on the 3.4 Whipple! Too bad you can run real gas so you can turn crank up the boost and really use that blower.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I wonder how much power and torque the 2.3 would make running 18 lbs vs. 16 lbs? Something tells me it will be pretty close to what the 3.4 makes.

D-MANN

Established Member
I wonder how much power and torque the 2.3 would make running 18 lbs vs. 16 lbs? Something tells me it will be pretty close to what the 3.4 makes.

+1. I was just wondering that myself.It cant be that far off at all.Race gas and 20+ boost will be where the 3.4 shines,but ya we all know that.

04cobra13

Established Member
Great numbers!!! Btw i think that is WAY too much boost for 91 octane, if you plan on romping on it id do a nice mix of 100 octane in it.. GL!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I would guess if he drops the 3.4 down to 16lbs he will see close to the same or just a bit more hp with a bit less tq than the 2.3.

scotmach

Established Member
+1. I was just wondering that myself.It cant be that far off at all.Race gas and 20+ boost will be where the 3.4 shines,but ya we all know that.

+2. That 3.4 isn't even close to hitting it's efficiency range. Why switch from 2.3 to a 3.4 if your not going to really spin it? The 2.3 would have probably made close to the same power at the same boost level.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yeah I would guess if he drops the 3.4 down to 16lbs he will see close to the same or just a bit more hp with a bit less tq than the 2.3.

My understanding is the compressor map for the 2.3 is perfectly matched to the 4.6 at medium boost levels. The 3.4 just spins to slow to take advanage of the big rotors.

BUMPSTICKS

Established Member
Ok guys. Here are some answers to the questions. I switched tot he 3.4 because after watching 21 psi 2.3's make 630 I wanted to leave myself room to grow. I WILL be putting a tune in it for 23-25 lbs on MS109. At those boost levels the 2.3 would never even dream of making the same power. Also, you have to remember my car is not fully tuned. It made those number on a 10.6 A/F in the mid range. I'm hunting down a voltage drop issue right now so the car isn't finished on the dyno. There is still more power in this setup.

As far as the 18psi goes, I'm out to prove everyone wrong. I truly believe if you run a return style fuel system it is safer to run 15+psi on 91. I won't get into why I believe this but I fully intend on having the motor last a long time.

As far as spinning those big 3.4 rotors. If you lay the 2.3 and the 3.4 next to each other and spin them by hand ( I DID!), you'll find the 3.4 is actually easier to spin. I know that isn't saying much for on the car but think of it this way. The 3.4 moves way more air at any given rpm. So even if I run the same boost on both blowers and make the same power, I'm still spinning the 3.4 A LOT slower. This creates far less heat and makes the setup more efficient and safer. I know what 18 psi 2.3's make, it's close to my numbers. Don't forget that the tuning is not finished. The tune is only safe to 6000 right now. I'll have updated numbers soon.

P.S. You guys think my stock HE is hurting my numbers..... I have a sneaky suspicion it is...

Users who are viewing this thread