202mph?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Would be awesome to try those events one day.
West coast guys saddle up :)
I plan on doing the Ohio Mile this year but I've heard they're tighter on rules and I wonder what the glass roof will make them do?
-J

Sdsaathoff

Established Member
come early this time
and run early in the morning in the cooler weather........trust me

Where are you in Louisiana? I am in Houma. When is the Texas mile in the spring? I would love to go.

Top speed is very difficult in any car.

I don't know why so many people complain. Did anyone see the top gear episode where James may takes the Bugatti to top speed? This is what it took to hit top speed in that car:

A special Volkswagen track.

They had to enter the straight away at 120 miles per hour.

The straight away was 5 miles long.

I understand that the Bugatti went 253 MPH, but top speed is top speed. The effort to get those last bits is huge and will always require "ideal" circumstances.

If any one you haven't seen the video that I am talking about and are curious as to what it takes to get a car to top speed, here is an entertaining video:

Bugatti Veyron Top Speed Test - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

This was done in 2008. It kind of freaks me out that 2008 was almost 6 years ago...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Looking at all the posts recently I have not seen anyone post anything for the Silver State Classic, the Nevada Open road challenge or the Sandhill open in Nebraska. There are several classes & over the years there are many bricks that have done 200+, RJ Gottlieb in his 69 Camaro "Big Red" is one of the more popular & has several you tube runs. There is also a 70 Mustang sport roof that was trimmed out in Shelby fenders that used a 427 SOHC engine that was the major competitor for Big Red. The rules have become a little more stringent in the unlimited class but even in the 180 average the trap speed this year was 208.9 mph and the average over the
90 mile course was 179.87 in a 2001 Monte Carlo. I believe there is also a highway race in Texas now but haven't found the information yet. I would
venture to say a stock 13/14 with the long straightaways that are available would just click over 200. Hopefully someone will be able to run and prove it to all.:pepper:

Would be awesome to try those events one day.
West coast guys saddle up :)
I plan on doing the Ohio Mile this year but I've heard they're tighter on rules and I wonder what the glass roof will make them do?
-J

From my limited understanding, those events restrict new drivers to the slower classes until they have several events under their belt…so it's going to take a driver who has already cleared those hurdles. That being said, a driver who has cleared them probably isn't going to be running a stock car either so we may never know.

Bad Company

Established Member
Here is a link for the Ohio Mile rules pertaining to the car and driver requirements versus the speed classification. To go faster then 135MPH requires a lot more safety equipment in the car than the Texas Mile does at 199MPH or less

Car Safety Requirements | ECTA-LSR

Derek5774

Established Member
Where are you in Louisiana? I am in Houma. When is the Texas mile in the spring? I would love to go.

Top speed is very difficult in any car.

I don't know why so many people complain. Did anyone see the top gear episode where James may takes the Bugatti to top speed? This is what it took to hit top speed in that car:

A special Volkswagen track.

They had to enter the straight away at 120 miles per hour.

The straight away was 5 miles long.

I understand that the Bugatti went 253 MPH, but top speed is top speed. The effort to get those last bits is huge and will always require "ideal" circumstances.

If any one you haven't seen the video that I am talking about and are curious as to what it takes to get a car to top speed, here is an entertaining video:

Bugatti Veyron Top Speed Test - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube

This was done in 2008. It kind of freaks me out that 2008 was almost 6 years ago...

I'm in the Lafayette area
and the next texas mile is in March TEXAS MILE // OFFICIAL SITE // 3 DAYS, 1 MILE: NO SPEED LIMIT

Derek5774

Established Member
Here is a link for the Ohio Mile rules pertaining to the car and driver requirements versus the speed classification. To go faster then 135MPH requires a lot more safety equipment in the car than the Texas Mile does at 199MPH or less

Car Safety Requirements | ECTA-LSR

WOW!!! those rules are tight enough to keep street cars totally out of that race

Bad Company

Established Member
WOW!!! those rules are tight enough to keep street cars totally out of that race
Yes they are.

There is a 1/2 mile race each year in Georgia. From the pictures I've seen of the cars completing at that event it is 99.9% street cars. The speeds are much lower, but still are getting in the 140-160 mph range for most of the fast street cars. This is side by side racing for the 1/2 mile. There is no limit to the number of runs you can make, as fast as you can get back to the line, you can run again. They had somebody with a GT-R hit 200+mph last year. I've never seen the car and driver requirements for this event listed anywhere, but I think it is much more lenient than the Texas Mile rules due to the shorter distance and the theoretical slower speeds this would net. But a 200+MPH reading by a few cars will eventually shut this down to race prepped cars in the future sooner or later

wannagofast.com is the organizer for this event

Van@RevanRacing

I attended the Georgia Half Mile and the location is beautiful. They have basically no rules and the guys that I talked with won't run the Texas Mile because they think the Texas Mile has too many rules for SAFETY. Gee, who would have thunk???

Many of the cars are basically highly built cars with people that have no regard for safety other than a three point seat belt and a helmet.

For me the left lane would be a big HELL NO at the Georgia Half Mile. There is literally a small pond 10 feet off the runway.

The run a clean event but they do have to slow down an turn around on the same surface before they can run another group of cars. Slows it down a little.

Bad Company

Established Member
I attended the Georgia Half Mile and the location is beautiful. They have basically no rules and the guys that I talked with won't run the Texas Mile because they think the Texas Mile has too many rules for SAFETY. Gee, who would have thunk???

Many of the cars are basically highly built cars with people that have no regard for safety other than a three point seat belt and a helmet.

For me the left lane would be a big HELL NO at the Georgia Half Mile. There is literally a small pond 10 feet off the runway.

The run a clean event but they do have to slow down an turn around on the same surface before they can run another group of cars. Slows it down a little.
I don't know what it costs to register for this event. Registration fees should be high enough to have car owners that at least maintain and modify the cars properly for the speeds they're trying to achieve. Is there any tech inspection of the cars for at least the brakes, suspension components and tires? I'd hate to line up with somebody that has a worn out tie rod end or other suspension component because they think their car will do 140 mph and they want to see it on a piece of paper. I've seen some of these local kids today with 25+ year old 5.0 Mustangs with some very questionable modifications running on the street around here that I would never line up along side them to race at an event that didn't tech the cars brakes and suspension components first. In VA if the car is 25 years old or older then you can get an antique plate and forgo the state annual Safety Inspections. This gives these kids leeway to get very creative in what is an acceptable modification for the street for Hp and speed, while letting them skip car maintenance/safety issues at the same time. The things are scary to look at, let alone trying to drive them fast in my mind. I can see one of these cars showing up there for bragging rights, if there isn't some sort of safety inspection beforehand or the entry costs aren't high enough to scare them away from participating. Do they have at least a 1/2 mile shutdown area?

Bisbee Kid

Established Member

Question for Van, Regarding Tracking the cars at Atlanta or Daytona & Modifications needed or should be done compared to a stock car running longer races compared to the Mile races. What are the weak links that need to be addressed without major modifications? Brake fluid, pads, rotors, would seem to be the basics. Finding a competent company to install a roll cage without hacking up the interior seems to be a challenge (I need to review Birddoc build to see if he lists where he had his roll cage installed) but what other weak links need to be addressed to have a reliable and safe car to use for longer runs such as a 6hr endurance run or a Silver State 90 mile run. Are the trac pack cars actually up to being used on the track?

Van@RevanRacing

I don't know what it costs to register for this event. Registration fees should be high enough to have car owners that at least maintain and modify the cars properly for the speeds they're trying to achieve. Is there any tech inspection of the cars for at least the brakes, suspension components and tires? I'd hate to line up with somebody that has a worn out tie rod end or other suspension component because they think their car will do 140 mph and they want to see it on a piece of paper. I've seen some of these local kids today with 25+ year old 5.0 Mustangs with some very questionable modifications running on the street around here that I would never line up along side them to race at an event that didn't tech the cars brakes and suspension components first. In VA if the car is 25 years old or older then you can get an antique plate and forgo the state annual Safety Inspections. This gives these kids leeway to get very creative in what is an acceptable modification for the street for Hp and speed, while letting them skip car maintenance/safety issues at the same time. The things are scary to look at, let alone trying to drive them fast in my mind. I can see one of these cars showing up there for bragging rights, if there isn't some sort of safety inspection beforehand or the entry costs aren't high enough to scare them away from participating. Do they have at least a 1/2 mile shutdown area?

They do have some tech inspection. I personally wouldn't run this event due to the lack of tech and the location. As you can see in the attached video from 2012 you can see the large pond on the left hand side a little past the quarter mile mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjs2ZwtWwQ4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU8eceJVeRMVV6gROtON007A

Question for Van, Regarding Tracking the cars at Atlanta or Daytona & Modifications needed or should be done compared to a stock car running longer races compared to the Mile races. What are the weak links that need to be addressed without major modifications? Brake fluid, pads, rotors, would seem to be the basics. Finding a competent company to install a roll cage without hacking up the interior seems to be a challenge (I need to review Birddoc build to see if he lists where he had his roll cage installed) but what other weak links need to be addressed to have a reliable and safe car to use for longer runs such as a 6hr endurance run or a Silver State 90 mile run. Are the trac pack cars actually up to being used on the track?

If you wanted to do enduro racing or the Silver State Classic you would need a full 10 point cage up to the governing body standards. There really isn't any way to do a 10 point cage without cutting.

You can do open track events with 30 minute sessions at Atlanta and Daytona and many other tracks without a roll cage as they are HPDE events and not actual racing.

Racing requires a lot of safety equipment and proper analysis of the rules for each event. I might be navigating the Silver State and the Big Bend Open Road Race next year and the car is fully equipped with a 10 point cage, fire system and proper racing brakes, pads, lines fluid and tires.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I found out about this event a few months ago in Michigan (close to me):

The Michigan Mile

Was thinking of trying it out next year but I feel the costs vs. # of runs might be a problem for me so I decided to forego it next year and maybe do it some other time.

Instead next year I decided to do a course @ Pocono raceway, they suit you up in the morning to drive a 600hp stock car then break for lunch and in the aftn. you get to drive your own car on the tricky triangle (2 x 20 mins. sessions). I signed up for this during their black friday sale so saved over $200 off the regular price. Looking forward to this...............however I'm taking the Z06 to do this event.

I would be hard to really find a "safe" place to try for 200mph in this car or anycar for that matter here in NA. You kinda could do it in Germany on the autobahn but still the danger element is there. You really need a big track to be able to try to do this....................TRC in Ohio comes to mind they used to rent out that track but not anymore (only businesses and manufacturers testing equipment can run on that track now) when I inquired.

Transportation Research Center

Business opportunity for Revan racing perhaps????

Tony

Van@RevanRacing

I can see it now.

Van, "How much to rent the track for a day"?

TRC, "What do you want to do"?

Van, "I wanna go fast, like 200+ MPH fast!" "I have credentials"

TRC, "Credentials, you don't need no stinkin' credentials, our people will drive your car"

Van, "bawahahahahaha"

I'd have to look into it but I know how much it costs to rent road courses around different parts of the country for a day and I suspect this wouldn't be any different. Safety is their number one priority with facilities like these and I couldn't agree more. 200+ MPH without roll over protection will likely be frowned upon. Makes you wonder why Ford went all the way to Italy to do it on the Nardo test track.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I agree. You want people to sign up to do this (if it is possible) that have RESPECT for what they are doing and where they are doing this. All it takes is one idiot to wreck it for all.

It isn't just this one time but going forward the next time and next one after that etc. etc.

If a Shelby is going to hit 200mph anywhere in NA it would probably be at TRC.

Bad Company

Established Member
They do have some tech inspection. I personally wouldn't run this event due to the lack of tech and the location. As you can see in the attached video from 2012 you can see the large pond on the left hand side a little past the quarter mile mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjs2ZwtWwQ4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU8eceJVeRMVV6gROtON007A
Interesting to say the least. How remote is this area? How far is the nearest hospital?

The pond doesn't bother me as much as the tech inspections and the run what ya brung attitude.

Imagine lining up along side a 19 year old with a 25 year old car with 150,000 miles on it with 550 Hp engine and it still has the original ball joints in the front end or a leaking strut cartridge........hell, 25 year old brake hoses!! I don't want to be anywhere near him while he's doing 140 mph. The pictures of the cars I've seen at this event in the past have not reflected this type of activity. But I'm sure it can happen in the future if they don't inspect the cars closely.

Van@RevanRacing

The location is Heaven's Landing in Clayton, GA which is a beautiful area and the runway is a part of a private aero community.

They make you fill out a tech sheet but who knows what the guy next to you has or doesn't have.

Bad Company

Established Member
The location is Heaven's Landing in Clayton, GA which is a beautiful area and the runway is a part of a private aero community.

They make you fill out a tech sheet but who knows what the guy next to you has or doesn't have.
I googled the location. It is in a nice setting from the satellite photos. I thought this was at a Regional Airport, not a private community airport in between the mountains LOL. The satellite image also shows the pond very nicely on the left side. It looks much larger in the satellite photo then it did in your video. I found this video of the event.

wannaGOFAST - Georgia 1/2 Mile Shootout - September 14-15th, 2013!! (Official Event Video) - YouTube

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I googled the location. It is in a nice setting from the satellite photos. I thought this was at a Regional Airport, not a private community airport in between the mountains LOL. The satellite image also shows the pond very nicely on the left side. It looks much larger in the satellite photo then it did in your video. I found this video of the event.

wannaGOFAST - Georgia 1/2 Mile Shootout - September 14-15th, 2013!! (Official Event Video) - YouTube

The track looks really dusty/dirty in that video. Seems like a fun event to spectate though. :beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I found out about this event a few months ago in Michigan (close to me):

The Michigan Mile

Tony
Very cool to have another local option.
Rules seem straight forward if we stay under 190mph (at least one run :thumbsup:).

Bummer that all these mile events specifically ban drag radials, looks like I'll need to spend another $700+ if I want to do this because no way I'm taking the DRs off for street traction.
-J

Van@RevanRacing

Very cool to have another local option.
Rules seem straight forward if we stay under 190mph (at least one run :thumbsup:).

Bummer that all these mile events specifically ban drag radials, looks like I'll need to spend another $700+ if I want to do this because no way I'm taking the DRs off for street traction.
-J

J-

I watched drag radials disintegrate on a Corvette at the mile one year and the end result was ugly. A drag radial can handle it for six to eleven seconds. Not a full 25-30 seconds under full load. $700 is cheap to save your car and your arsss!

Users who are viewing this thread