2023 Grilling Season Thread

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Supposed to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving. Did a test run today. See how it goes.

IMG_7078.jpeg

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Have had a whole bunch of cooks since my last post in this thread but I'm too lazy to go back through the meater logs and my camera albums to post. Pork baby backs, beef back ribs, couple pork butts, etc...

I've since learned I'll never just spray pork butts every hr with an apple cider vinegar mix but instead will mop every hr with a "Carolina mop sauce," which is apple cider vinegar, ketchup, salt, brown sugar, red pepper flakes. Have noticed a much better bark when doing this.

Did my first turkey for Thanksgiving; spatchcocked with a tray of carrots and potatoes underneath it to catch the drippings. Typically I only do an overnight dry brine but for this big poultry (21+lb bird) I did a wet brine. 1cup salt:1/2 cup brown sugar:1 gallon water and a couple oranges cut up in there. Dried it in fridge day of, covered in butter+salt, pepper, and thyme on outside, whole pound of unsalted butter wherever I could cram it between meat and skin. I don't have the means to inject my meats yet so I figured this would suffice. Turned out absolutely amazing. If/when I do it again, I'll wet brine it longer (only ended up in the brine bath ~12hrs)

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Note to all pellet grill guys. I've have had issues holding the heat, even at the lower temps and have had smoke coming out of pellet hopper. After digging into it, the fire box is rotted out. This lets the smoke blow back up the channel into the hopper. Amazon has replacements, and ordered a new igniter while I'm at it. Mine is a Pit Boss about 5-6 years old.

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Note to all pellet grill guys. I've have had issues holding the heat, even at the lower temps and have had smoke coming out of pellet hopper. After digging into it, the fire box is rotted out. This lets the smoke blow back up the channel into the hopper. Amazon has replacements, and ordered a new igniter while I'm at it. Mine is a Pit Boss about 5-6 years old.
Good to know! Coming up on 5 years on my Pit Boss.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
That's way nicer than the one I got. Mine has wires that connect to the unit.
It's pretty cool for what it is. After thirty minutes or so into a cook it'll give you a estimated time of completion.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Picking up a 36" 4 burner #2149 Blackstone shortly.
I got the 4 burner 36" from Costco, don't recall the model number but it was only like $400 and had the hinged lid, fold out side tables, storage, etc. and it was a way better deal than the ones at like Lowes or other places. I love mine, the smash burgers are outstanding on it!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I got the 4 burner 36" from Costco, don't recall the model number but it was only like $400 and had the hinged lid, fold out side tables, storage, etc. and it was a way better deal than the ones at like Lowes or other places. I love mine, the smash burgers are outstanding on it!
Bingo, sounds the same. This is 60K BTU and was $349. About $100 less than anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread