2023 Grilling Season Thread

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
SVTP used to do a grilling/smoking thread every summer, similar to the LNC thread or the What's for Dinner thread, so I figured I'd start this one up now that we are well into the first week of astronomical summer.

Post up your grills, smokers, outdoor kitchens and show us all what you're cooking on them. Any tips, tricks, suggestions, recipes are all welcome as well.

Or, if you just need some people to shoot the shit with on one of those long smokes...

LS WUT

Established Member
Turkey breast is outstanding on the pellet grill Dan. I always inject mine with some Cajun stuff.
Good deal, I know we’ve brined some Turkey and such for gatherings, and some some basic stuff with Rib eye. However we tend to just cook filet and call it a day. Which isn’t bad don’t get me wrong. However it would be nice to get some more insight. We’ve also done some ribs in the oven, then on the grill for the grill taste. Unsure what a pellet grill is so you’ll have to forgive my ignorance.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Just moved to a new house so this is the best pic I have. Patio is still a work in progress but gives you an idea.

I have a Vision S smoker with a Fireboard to monitor temps and their fan to control the grill. System works awesome and allows me to leave the smoke unattended. Got the bar cart to go with it from Pottery Barn.

Also have a Weber Kettle and Genesis gas not in the picture. To the right is my garage that has a large 3 season room on it stocked with a beer fridge and wood burning stove for colder grilling days in IL.

Not as crazy as some of the setups the SVT crowd has but I'm happy with it.

Grill.jpg

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
I didn’t get any pics, but I grilled up some steaks( 3 ribeyes and one filet) yesterday on my new Weber Genesis s325s. First time using it yesterday. Hopefully I get to do a lot more grilling this summer.
IMG_7887.jpeg

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Good deal, I know we’ve brined some Turkey and such for gatherings, and some some basic stuff with Rib eye. However we tend to just cook filet and call it a day. Which isn’t bad don’t get me wrong. However it would be nice to get some more insight. We’ve also done some ribs in the oven, then on the grill for the grill taste. Unsure what a pellet grill is so you’ll have to forgive my ignorance.
I have a Pit Boss pellet grill Dan.
Do you wrap yours?

I do three hours unwrapped, two hours wrapped and let them sit for fifteen minutes unwrapped before tearing into them. Hesitant to try it any other way.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I don't Jessie, but used to. Local BBQ place that's really good has given me some good tips. Just 225* for 6 hours, then sauce the last 1/2 hour. Turn out great, and don't need to worry about running home and wrapping them. Now Butt Roast and Brisket, I do. Then wrap the wrapped meat in towels and throw in a cooler for pulled pork, and helps makes the Brisket tender.

patc84

Established Member
for babybacks- 3 hr unwrapped (spritzing every 45mins), 2 hrs wrapped with butter, rub, brown sugar, and some apple juice), then 1/2 sauced

240-250 using a thermopro grate probe. i ignore the dome gauge.

They literally fall apart.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I gonna have me a smoker one of these days dammit!!!

We cousin and i did a whole hog on our trailer smoker for a wedding saturday...turned out awesome. We have been doin it for prolly 30years in the summer for people

This was a 125lb hog ,(dressed) after about 3hrs at 300f...apple woof and hickory wood with natural charcoal. We started at 6am for a 5pm service (175-180 internal temp after about 8hrs)...let her rest for an hr and cut her up...mmm good

Funny story a lot the party was black and from philly...two young lads walked up and asked for cracklin and the jowls...i was like yeah man we usually hide the cheek meat and inner loin for ourselves lol...i gave him some and they about shit...the one goes ( those white country boys arent ****in pig rookies) lol as they walked away...they came back 3 more times lol

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
for babybacks- 3 hr unwrapped (spritzing every 45mins), 2 hrs wrapped with butter, rub, brown sugar, and some apple juice), then 1/2 sauced

240-250 using a thermopro grate probe. i ignore the dome gauge.

They literally fall apart.
What do you use for a rub before cooking Pat?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just put in a Breeo smokeless fire pit. And added their Outpost grill. Basically a cowboy setup. This deal has made some of the best steaks I've ever made. That direct flame really changes the meat.

Bone-in Ribeye. First attempt. I was drunk off my ass (it's a bonfire, go figure) when I did this. So I have no clue how long it was on for. Just kept it on until the meat felt right.

The next night I did like a hibachi style deal for a group of people. Went to butcher and picked up a dry aged bone-in ribeye, prime bone-in ribeye, prime tenderloin, and a piece of Wagyu. I cooked each one up and we sliced it and everyone got a taste. Most liked the Wagyu followed by the dry aged. I did put gorgonzola on the dry age and the tenderloin. But, consistently, the meat was cooked perfectly and was super tender.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpg
    IMG_0625.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 77

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any good/easy Blackstone recipes?
Smash burgers is the most requested at my house. I usually sauté some mushrooms and jalapenos as well. And an egg. And bacon. And A-1 sauce. And American cheese.

Protip: use mayonnaise on your buns to toast them. Instead of butter or any other kind of fat. The mayo does something magical and really makes for a nice toasted bun. And I find mayo, on a sandwich, fully disgusting. I'm more of a Miracle Whip kind of guy. But mayo on a toasted bun is next level.

Second most requested is fajitas or hash brown omelets.

I don't really follow recipes. I just make shit up. I'll bin one on occasion and we end up ordering a Pizza. lol.

Prep and thinking through every step, for me, is most important on the Blackstone.

Users who are viewing this thread