2018 Durango srt8

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I'm still waiting for the typical "Get an Explorer Sport and add a tune and it will rule the world" comments. Don't disappoint me.

Looks great but a tuned x5m would destroy it. I wanna see the hellcat engine/supercharger in there.

TUNED is the key word. Apples to Oranges.

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
A tuned x5m would likely destroy a tuned 2018 Durango srt8 so not that far off.... red apples to green apples.....

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
A tuned x5m would likely destroy a tuned 2018 Durango srt8 so not that far off.... red apples to green apples.....

Throw a supercharger on the SRT...

I mean, once you get into mods, it just depends how deep(er) your pockets are.

SLVRNBLK

Established Member
Looks great but a tuned x5m would destroy it. I wanna see the hellcat engine/supercharger in there.

While that's true you have to consider that a new X5/X6M stickers for dadgum near TWICE what the SRT Durango will likely sticker for. The vast majority of folks seriously considering purchasing the Durango will do so because $100k+ performance SUV just isn't in the cards financially. Furthermore, I would wager that the vast majority of X5/X6M owners don't tune them, so the chances of being embarassed by one in the wild would be extremely narrow at best.

I can't think of another 7 seat SUV out there that offers what this thing offers in terms of "soul" and/or performance for anywhere near the price point it will be offered at. Will it be the fastest thing out there? No. Will it have the nicest/highest quality interior? No. Will it be a nice, fun all around package for the money? Hell yes! I just think it's cool that they're gonna build it.

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
Throw a supercharger on the SRT...

I mean, once you get into mods, it just depends how deep(er) your pockets are.

You obviously dont understand the logic..... tune for tune it still isnt close. Throwing a supercharger on the Durango then would like putting bigger turbos on the X5m....

Yes, the Durango is a better "value" per dollar performance wise but is in no way the best performance SUV you can purchase.

They need to release a hellcat version.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Yes, the Durango is a better "value" per dollar performance wise but is in no way the best performance SUV you can purchase.

They are giving us something that no other American car manufacturer is giving us. Let's not get greedy. lol

Besides,even if they offered a Hellcat version, people would still find a way to cry about it. There will always be talk about a lightly modified AMG or BMW will beat that, blah blah blah.

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
They are giving us something that no other American car manufacturer is giving us. Let's not get greedy. lol

Besides,even if they offered a Hellcat version, people would still find a way to cry about it. There will always be talk about a lightly modified AMG or BMW will beat that, blah blah blah.

I beg to differ. I dont see how many other SUV could compete with a Hellcat version (stock or even modded).

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
You obviously dont understand the logic..... tune for tune it still isnt close. Throwing a supercharger on the Durango then would like putting bigger turbos on the X5m....

Obviously, one is FI and the other is NA.
Of course a FI(turbo especially) will make more power with a tune than a NA engine. When talking costs of the vehicle and the tune/mods, it's way cheaper to boost a Durango than buy a X5M.

It's a dodge, it won't be a "best performance SUV". However, it's price vs performance is what makes it a decent choice for someone who doesn't want to spend 6 figures on a performance SUV(that sits 7).

Sure the reason why there's no hellcat version yet is the same reason why there's no Hellcat Jeep. That AWD system needs to be beefy AF to survive those power levels.

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
So, this SRT is a disappointment because a $100,000+ F/I SUV with a Tune can beat it.

Man, this is an amazing comparison.

Sigh.... you do the get it. I would elaborate but it's not worth it. I need to remember I'm on a (primarily) Mustang site...

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Don't own a mustang, sorry bro.

Your logic is flawed greatly. You're comparing a car that has double the MSPR and is in a completely different class and also one that is MODDED to an SUV that can tow, haul a huge family and is well under $100,000 that is STOCK.

If you do not own a Mustang, have nothing of value to contribute as an enthusiast (You seem to be brand loyal to German cars based on your few posts in this thread) why are you even here?

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
Never said I didn't own a Mustang. I have actually owned over 30 cars and currently own 7 (2 are Ford, 1 is a Mustang). Anyhow, you just made another example why it's not worth the time to elaborate.

Black2010

Established Member
It's about Fing time. When we bought our Durango RT I was asking the dealer why it didn't come with the 392 and had the same engine as the Citadel. My wife has been begging for a Hellcat Durango but this will have to do.

To answer the question of why? I'll just say because it's fun.

But to be practical.

Not only do you get more HP. You get:
- Better suspension
- Better brakes
- AWD (our RT doesn't have this)
- Better towing

Their is more than just HP improvements here.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I don't think you can elaborate.

You're comparing a sport cross-over to a near full-size SUV, one which is made for strictly performance, the other that has various uses.

When you realize you're comparing different cars in VERY different price categories, you'll understand.

Mad respect for you owning 30+ cars. That is one hell of an achievement.

AAG

Established Member
Cool SUV, but the Durango along with the RAM need a serious exterior update. They are both quite old now.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member

Well obviously. A stock X5M will destroy it.

As I don't think the X5M has 7 seats, the only real competition is the GLS63 AMG. And yes, that is faster. And easier to mod. And far better quality. But it's twice the price.

Dodge is making a good performance SUV for those that can't afford the $120K+ Germans. But I think it will be low seller and won't touch the sales numbers of the $$$ Germans. Most families that need 7 seats and can only afford a $65k SUV will get something cheaper and spend the extra on something else. Most getting the $$$ Germans can easily afford the price tags without thinking. This is the same reason is see zero GC SRTs but see numerous Cayenne Turbos, GLE63s, G63s, G65s, and X5Ms every day.

Still love what Dodge is doing. Hope this succeeds.

earl lee

Established Member
I found it amusing some people are asking why does this thing exist. Well there is a simple answer to that.

It doesn't need a reason to exist because MERICA!

On a more serious note, this is what Dodge does, this is their history. When they made the Super Bird why??? Dodge has always been the american car company that would make WTF crap. Little Red Express Truck? Why they make that thing? Cause they could.

blk02edge

Established Member
I found it amusing some people are asking why does this thing exist. Well there is a simple answer to that.

It doesn't need a reason to exist because MERICA!

On a more serious note, this is what Dodge does, this is their history. When they made the Super Bird why??? Dodge has always been the american car company that would make WTF crap. Little Red Express Truck? Why they make that thing? Cause they could.
They built the superbird/daytona for nascar lol. Thats a pretty good reason

Users who are viewing this thread