EditorTurner

Established Member
0-2017-F-150-Power-Rating-Featured.jpg

Greater Grunt
The 2017 F-150 packs more power, more torque and a 10-speed auto trans
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

Wondering how Ford would improve the performance of its eternally popular pickup truck? Well, the company has just announced that the 2017 model’s new 3.5-liter engine will offer better performance and towing thanks to an output of 375 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque.

The second-gen 3.5-liter engine is a production cousin of the EcoBoost engine that powers the race-winning Ford GT. This new version cranks out 50 more lb-ft of torque and 10 more horsepower than the outgoing 3.5. This boost in torque helps it deliver more torque than even its diesel-powered competitors.

“The 2017 Ford F-150 now delivers the best torque in the segment,” Ford executive vice president, Product Development, and chief technical officer, Raj Nair said. “This class-leading torque arrives with a transformative 10-speed automatic that improves nearly every aspect of F-150 performance.”

Yes, to maximize the performance of the 3.5-liter engine, Ford is backing it with a 10-speed automatic transmission that is said to offer improved acceleration and performance.

The new F-150 will hit dealer lots this fall.

1-2017-F-150-Power-Rating.jpg

The 2.7- and 3.5-liter EcoBoost engines accounted for 60-percent of F-150 sales in 2016 and the second-generation 3.5-liter engine looks to give customers 470 reasons to choose an EcoBoost engine in their 2017 pickups.

2-2017-F-150-Power-Rating.jpg

The only transmission paired with the new 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine is a new 10-speed automatic, which Ford says is the “first volume-production 10-speed automatic transmission available to consumers…”

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Im excited to see how this works out, I hope it picks up some decent fuel mileage with the 10spd auto, about time to move my current truck before the value totally tanks.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I so want one of these bad. ^^^I don't think the used ones will "tank" due to the pricing of the new trucks.

Ford4me

AMERICAN!!!
Established Member
I have 14 ecoboost Platinum. Awesomevtruck. I've learned it's either "eco"nomy or boost. Not both, it's either or. So do you buy the 17 or wait until possible bugs are worked out?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I so want one of these bad. ^^^I don't think the used ones will "tank" due to the pricing of the new trucks.

ya, the dual fuel system is interesting as well. The video I watched a little while back mentioned a traditional fuel injection system as well as a DI system in place.

Im not so much concerned about the new truck causing mine to tank, just more about it dropping as mileage piles on along with normal wear and tear.

as for jumping right into a 17, I'll probably hold off a few months to whats happening with the motor and trans.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I'll admit that I was expecting a little more. In the current Lincoln Navigator, the 3.5TT is rated at 380hp/460 lb-ft torque. If the gen2 3.5TT responds as well as the current gen1 3.5TT, then it's going to be a monster with the 10-speed transmission. I look forward to what changes were made to the gen2 3.5TT.

Last edited:

jdaallen

Established Member
It's interesting to see in the 2017 F-150 Order Guide, the Raptor only comes with 4:10 gears. With the new 10 speed tranny, you will basically have all the ratio availability you need.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Are there any differences in hard parts between the '17 F150 and the Raptor? What makes the Raptor have more power/tq.....the tune? Maybe the Raptor is best run on 91+ octane to get these results.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The only thing that concerns me is the new transmission. There's usually a few bugs to work out in them the first couple years. The 6R80 wasn't perfect in the beginning either, but it has proven to be a reliable efficient workhorse. Given time I'm sure the 10 speed will too.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The only thing that concerns me is the new transmission. There's usually a few bugs to work out in them the first couple years. The 6R80 wasn't perfect in the beginning either, but it has proven to be a reliable efficient workhorse. Given time I'm sure the 10 speed will too.

thats my main concern with jumping into a 2017 as well but damn I want one and I wanna get outta my truck while its still worth quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread