2015 GT base On3 TT(and NO regrets) build

olaosunt

Established Member
Some of you may recall I had started a "regret" thread soon after I got my base car.

Well, NO more regrets .lol

On a whim, I called Chad of On3 to ask if he was going to be developing a TT kit for the 15.

Turns out he was interested in having a car to fab the kit he was going to be developing from scratch.

Works out really well for me as well ,as the car was going to have been rarely driven over the winter and I was going to be "out of town"for 3 months from Feb.

Plenty of time for him as well, so car was picked up early December.

I know he has been busy with a lot of other projects but things are moving along .

He said it was fine with him if I started a build thread here on SVT, so here it is.

I will update as things move along.

Hopefully car should be ready when I get back at the end of May.I am super excited and I know it will make my time away more bearable knowing what is

waiting(apart from my dear wife and kids lol) when I get back. The only thing I will have to pay for is fuel upgrades as I assume I will need injectors.

I already have a VMP booster pump I took off my 12 when I did the fuel system, as I plan to have it tuned for E85.

It also looks like I may have buyer for my 2.9 whipple/10 rib set up so those funds can go towards half shafts and drive shaft.

I think if all turns out well it will be a very nice $31 K mustang. lol

1. My original choice

photo_zpscf0bd7db.jpg

Then I saw this and could not pass up 10K in savings(and losing some weight).

image_zps2ea1c1e7.jpg

2.My final choice with SVT PP wheels/MT/305/35/19 at stock height

IMG_0717_zps6aa6ef92.jpg

3.How she looked the last time I saw her.

photo_zps917243c5.jpg

She had a Gibson exhaust on by then and 1000 miles .

I later tried just the resonator delete with the stock mufflers but it was still way too quiet(for sale if anyone wants it)-

The Gibson is loud(I am sure the turbos will quieten it) but love the smooth deep tone.

It droned at first but hardly noticed it after a few hundred miles.

Also had a BAMA 93 race tune that we were still dataloging(never completed)

Car has been lowered with steeda springs and I liked the offset of the AMR wheels/305/34/18 NT05R I had as a spare/winter wheel set up for my 15 .

Already on list for MGW and may be able to reuse my RXT clutch once(if) i get around to do the auto swap in my 12.

Chad and his tuner did some baseline runs.

He said he was not impressed with the gains of the 93 race tune over the stock(not trying to open a can of worms) but in BAMA's defense we had not finished dataloging

IMG_2981_zpsb94e0799.jpg

It is hard if not impossible to see the numbers(I could on email) but the numbers were 381/353 stock and 386/359 Bama

After additional tuning done by his tuner I presume to get files for final tuning he said it put down 396/386 on 93.

First pictures I have back from chad-Looks like it is going to be undermounted..... any one has any thoughts?(I see the 2011-15 IPS one is also)

I like the stealth look but my Ford tech says he is concerned about snow and rain(I guess I just won't drive it on bad days).He was also concerned about heat but Chad said he will be using the 2v and 4v TT intercooler .

This is the latest word from Chad.

"Right now the manifolds, turbo are mounted and gates figured out where they are going. We are working on everything back now and cold side. Progress is slow on designs

when doing something from scratch. "

image_zps960aa19d.jpg

image_zps955c8cd9.jpg

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
Lol and thanks guys.

I still think about "that one that got away"

I think it was time for a change from blue though(my 2011 GT500 was also Kona blue)

I won't miss the drive modes on the premium once the TT is done-it will be in permanent "track mode"

Lol
Anyone have any thoughts on the undermounted turbos vs the in engine bay type,like he(along with several others-Hellion,armageon )did in the 2011-2014 and are doing for the 15's?

blk00gtvert

Established Member
Lol and thanks guys.

I still think about "that one that got away"

I think it was time for a change from blue though(my 2011 GT500 was also Kona blue)

I won't miss the drive modes on the premium once the TT is done-it will be in permanent "track mode"

Lol
Anyone have any thoughts on the undermounted turbos vs the in engine bay type,like he(along with several others-Hellion,armageon )did in the 2011-2014 and are doing for the 15's?

I've built several low mount kits with great success. ....

Turbosixx

Established Member
Nice to see another kit in the making. I'm sick of waiting for FI kits to become available for the '15.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
Thanks man.
Looking foward to seeing yours as well.

I'm interested on how On3 are going to run the cold side tubing. There might be enough room for running 2" to the front. The steering shaft might give some trouble, along with one of the a/c lines. How big of turbo's are mounted underneath? If on3 can fit some 67mm's down there this would be one kick ass system. Looks like y'all also might have to run an oil pump to help drain the turbos?

Either way, this looks cool! Keeps the pictures updated! Mine got pulled off this weekend to get jigged, so hopefully Ill have more updates on mine very soon.

Last edited:

Anthony K

Established Member
Very cool. I dig the wheels on these cars.

Low mount turbos are fine, what pump is being used to get the oil back?

The 381hp stock is right in line with others. The tuned race hp numbers are horrendous at best! Wow. What's the street tune? 382? Damn. Glad on3 will get that straightened out for you.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Hey olaosunt - First and foremost I'm definitely going to have to subscribe to your build it looks like it's definitely going to be one for the books! I'm sorry to hear that you guys weren't too happy with the output of the 93 Track Tune on the car but the Bama Team is more than happy to remote tune the car after the fact or if you're able to get the car to the Philadelphia area they'd love to get it strapped to the rollers and dial it in for you in person!

If there's absolutely anything I can help out along the way with the build don't hesitate to shoot me a PM and let me know!

Alex

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Since you asked, I'm not a fan of low mounted turbos. The necessity to run a scavenging pump (which has to be plumbed properly if you want the turbos to live) is unnecessary complication (compared to a gravity drain setup) that can cause many issues if it fails or is improperly designed.

olaosunt

Established Member
Since you asked, I'm not a fan of low mounted turbos. The necessity to run a scavenging pump (which has to be plumbed properly if you want the turbos to live) is unnecessary complication (compared to a gravity drain setup) that can cause many issues if it fails or is improperly designed.

Thanks SID,for the insight.

I am sure it will have it's cons and pros but I am sure On3 will take that into account.

I know next to nothing about the inner workings of these turbo kits (I have a ton of reading to do) but know I love the way my wive's explorer sport/ecoboost and my M235 with a twin scroll turbo drive(max torque for 1500-4500 and no lag) feel.

With just a tune the M235 made 406/470 and runs 11.9@115 on E35 gas.Feels like a rocket, just off idle but the small turbos run out of steam after 5500 rpm.

I have been told it is unrealistic of me to expect a TT on a 5.0 V8 to feel like that......is that true?

The smaller the turbo , the less the lag right ?

Latest update from chad may answer some questions asked.

"We have 58 mm turbos on it right now and we are going to clearance everything for a new 64 mm turbo we are doing. This combo is going to be the same as our current system and have no problem making over 1000+ on fully built setups. "

" the cold side will be plumbed all the way to the front of the car where the filters will sit behind the front bumper. Water is of ZERO concern and not going to be an issue. Compressor outlets are 2" so its going to be 2" through the suspension and transition to 2.5" and then 3.5 to the tb. Im going to do something cool with the charge pipe to the throttle body most likely to make it stick out since the turbos are not visible. "

He is working on something else that will be really cool if he pulls it off but he does not want me to share as of now.

I should have more pictures later this week.

FATHERFORD

Established Member
They might have a difficult time getting the 2" through the suspension.... The sway bar setup blocks everything. We were going to use that as an option, but without removing the front swaybar we just couldn't find a way.

We are waiting for BMR or the likes to come out with a k-member, that might give more room.

This is cool, and really interested to see this setup. If they can fit the bigger 64/67mm turbo's they could easily get 1200+rwhp to the ground. It would be really neat with a quite exhaust and no Blow off valve and use a bypass valve to keep it quite. Might be a real good sleeper.

Last edited:

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
There are 3 things that I like about low-mounted turbos:
1. lower center of gravity
2. in the case of a V8 car they are mounted more "directly" to the manifold, and more so truly inline with the exhaust. In my mind you have better exhaust velocity here which would spool up the turbos quicker, thus reducing any turbo lag.
3. a cleaner engine bay, as I've always been one of those sleeper guys who likes to hide stuff LOL

But having said that, I hate everything else about a low mount turbo. The use of an oil pump itself brings up issues. Working the cold side piping is going to be something to behold. Any future turbo maintenance will now require a little more labor. Etc. Etc.

BV600

Established Member
Hard to see from the angles but looks to me it could be a high enough to avoid a pump?

acrbill

Established Member
The turbos seem a bit exposed and mounted too low for a gravity return. The other issues is.... If I had twin turbos I want people to see them. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread