2015 5.0 Changes

RTD

Established Member
Here's what I'm seeing so far:

-New cams with 1mm more intake lift and 2mm more lift on the exhaust side
-New cylinder heads with revised high-flow ports and slightly larger valves
-A revised intake manifold with tumble control valves.
-The forged connecting rods from the current Boss 302 engine
-The valve springs from the current Boss 302 engine
-Standard oil cooler

RTD

Established Member
The cam changes are particularly interesting.

For reference:

2011-2014 GT
Intake: Lift - 12MM (0.472"), Duration - 260 degrees
Exhaust: Lift - 11MM (0.433"), Duration - 263 degrees

2012-2013 Boss 302
Intake: Lift - 12MM (0.472"), Duration - 260 degrees [Same as GT]
Exhaust: Lift - 13MM (0.512"), Duration - 263 degrees

Cobra Jet
Intake: Lift - 13MM (0.512"), Duration - 263 degrees
Exhaust: Lift - 13MM (0.512"), Duration - 290 degrees

The CJ intake cam was originally planned for the Boss but didn't make it into production - they decided to go with a common intake cam as the GT for cost-saving.

It looks like the 2015 GT may be getting the CJ cams. At least from a lift standpoint, duration specs have not been released.

Also, the CJ heads are just Boss heads with bigger valves, so the 2015 may be getting a variant of those.

RTD

Established Member
Just referred back to the 5.0 Magazine CJ article and the CJ does not have bigger valves. They're just Boss heads with different springs.

So the 2015 GT will have harger valves than either the Boss or CJ. Wow.

Also looks like the 2015 may be using the CJ intake cam and the Boss exhaust cam.

Edit: Also - Mid-lock cam phasers to provide greater range of cam timing on the intake side, revised piston tops, new balanced forged crank (likely the Boss part).

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
has anybody seen any HP ratings for the revised 5.0 yet? I haven't seen any...

There was a leak posted on Mustang6 yesterday that said 430hp and 396 lb-ft. From the changes revealed today I'm going to go out on a limb and say either that leak was total bullshit or Ford is seriously underrating it. Should be > than the Boss's 444 with those updates.

03Steve

Established Member
Any news on the PCM? I assume it is still the Copperhead platform. No Ecoboost type direct injection...

RTD

Established Member
Any news on the PCM? I assume it is still the Copperhead platform. No Ecoboost type direct injection...

Have not heard anything about DI from Ford today. Assuming it's not happening for 2015. Although Ford is being pretty tight-lipped about powertrain in general apart from what's already been posted.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There was a leak posted on Mustang6 yesterday that said 430hp and 396 lb-ft. From the changes revealed today I'm going to go out on a limb and say either that leak was total bullshit or Ford is seriously underrating it. Should be > than the Boss's 444 with those updates.

It's BS. Power is definitely higher than the Boss.

Formula51

Established Member

So we might be talking about a 450+hp Mustang GT!?!:rockon:

What do you guys think for power band? With a lot of the Boss parts, how high will the GT safely rev and will the transmission be capable of shifting at those revs?

RTD

Established Member

What do you guys think for power band? With a lot of the Boss parts, how high will the GT safely rev and will the transmission be capable of shifting at those revs?

I'm guessing that the charge motion valves in the intake manifold and the mid lock cam phasers were included specifically to tame the more radical heads and cams at idle and low speed part throttle operation.

As for the tranny:

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/23070/the_mechanicals_of_the_2015_mustang/

The Getrag manual has a new shift linkage design for shorter throws and improved precision. The shift lever is now positioned closer to the driver and away from the cup-holders so the driver has a clear path for shifting.

The automatic also features a redesigned case with cast-in ribs that help make it stiffer and reduce the weight. Internally clutches have been optimized and operating temperature has been increased to reduce friction. The output shaft is now supported by a ball-bearing that can achieve a track tested top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph) for Mustang GT.

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
Autoblog is reporting that Ford will not release power figures until sometime next year. Possibly in April at the NYC Auto Show.

Formula51

Established Member

NOLACLS

Established Member
So what does everyone think the power potential will be from the new stock 5.0 with the better internals...6...700?

Shaun@AED

Really digging the Boss Rods/crank added to the engine, or rather a modified Boss engine with GT intake.

I've been dreaming about steel ring supports in the pistons like the EcoBoost engines.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Autoblog is reporting that Ford will not release power figures until sometime next year. Possibly in April at the NYC Auto Show.

I bet they release the power numbers of whatever models they display at the Detroit auto show in January. I could see them waiting on the GT350 for the NYC auto show.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
Mustang_v8_zps8cba2ae5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread