2014 Corvette HP Confirmed - 460HP/465TQ

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
General Motors Co. said Tuesday that its all-new LT1 6.2-liter V-8 engine offering in the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray has been certified at 460 horsepower and 465 foot-pounds of torque — an increase of 24 horsepower and 37 foot-pounds of torque over today’s LS3 6.2-liter V-8 — when using a performance exhaust system.

The engine is certified at 455 horsepower and 460 foot-pounds of torque with a standard exhaust. That’s up by 25 horsepower and 36 foot-pounds of torque over the LS3 engine. Chevy said both ratings are the highest standard power ever for the Corvette, which is expected to top 26 miles per gallon on the highway.

“The 2014 Corvette Stingray’s LT1 engine is a triumph of advanced technology, delivering more power and torque than ever before with greater efficiency,” Jordan Lee, GM’s small-block engine chief, said in a statement. “The LT1’s performance complements the Corvette’s low mass with a tremendous feeling of power that builds as the rpm climbs. Drivers will experience more power and acceleration than ever before with the standard engine — in fact, its power and torque surpass many uplevel engines offered by competitors.”

The 2014 Corvette coupe goes on sale this fall and a convertible Stingray will be available by year’s end.

[email protected]
(313) 222-2319
twitter.com/MBurden_DN

From The Detroit News: '14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray's V-8 engine gets horsepower certification | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

flS/R

Established Member
those damn corvettes just keep getting better and better

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very decent power, but I, too, expected something closer to 500. Guess they have to leave some room for the upcoming C7 Z06. :)

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
They just matched the Viper's power output from the 90s.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
I remember when the c6 was new it almost matched the c5 zo6 405hp output, only shy by 5 hp. I thought it would be close again for that very reason. Guess not.

Still impressive though.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I am not impressed at all. Thought it would be 480-500 range. Only 25 horse more than the current model doesnt seem like a "technological advancement," especially since the C6 has been around since 2005. :bored:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Don't let the peak numbers tell the whole story. Power under the curve is much better than the C6. It has almost the same torque as the LS7.

This car will still scoot just fine for a base model.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Don't let the peak numbers tell the whole story. Power under the curve is much better than the C6. It has almost the same torque as the LS7.

This car will still scoot just fine for a base model.

I was thinking along these same lines. I would love to see a dyno graph vs an ls3 dynos graph

kaz109

Established Member
Hahahahahahaha@ NA_Cobra and yenko boy saying it would be 470-500hp. For being GM fanboys they shouldn've known how GM builds their motors. Of course the vette will still move it is a big motor in a light car,should we really be impressed by that? Simple physics should tell you that. It is well known GM needs large displacement to give u avg numbers and if you want the numbers it should already have from the factory, crack the motor open and build it yourself because it isn't hard.

Blue collar simple technology so why wouldn't they leave it up to the blue collar American man to put a cam in to make the real power a 6.2L is suppose to make. And the mpg argument is stupid...if you are worried about mpg you shouldnt 'be looking to buy a vette..period

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Its ok I guess. I am guessing the new Z06 will be 550 and the ZR1 closer to 700? who knows....I love the new interior but I am still not crazy about the overall style of the car

BMR Tech

I am not too impressed, but, I am impressed.

I try to keep an open mind. When the Coyote was released, I never thought they would be making around 400-410 rwhp with cat deletes and a tune. Of course, not all of them make that power...but they do make more HP/TQ at the rear wheels than what they come rated at, with basic mods.

In 1998, the LS engine was released with "305" HP.....and that same engine was making well into the 350rwhp range with basic mods.

If this car makes 460+ rwhp with exhaust and tune, that is a pretty good option for Corvette owners who previously had to install a cam, springs, and all the bolt-ons to achieve similar power. This time though, I would bet they will have 50-60 more ftlbs under the curve, which should make a huge difference in acceleration and SOTP feel.

I think they will make somewhere around 475rwhp with bolt-ons and tuning. I have always like Corvettes, so I hope they perform well.

Rct851

Established Member
I can't help it I think vettes are badass. The light weight and big motors give a lot of potential. I could care less about the age of the technology.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Hahahahahahaha@ NA_Cobra and yenko boy saying it would be 470-500hp. For being GM fanboys they shouldn't known how GM builds their motors. Of course the vette will still move it is a big motor in a light car,should we really be impressed by that? Simple physics should tell you that. It is well known GM needs large displacement to give u avg numbers and if you want the numbers it should already have from the factory, crack the motor open and build it yourself because it isn't hard.

Blue collar simple technology so why wouldn't they leave it up to the blue collar American man to put a cam in to make the real power a 6.2L is suppose to make. And the mpg argument is stupid...if you are worried about mpg you 'be looking to buy a vette..period

:lol:

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
About what I expected. I'm more interested in seeing the performance numbers rather than power, though.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Hahahahahahaha@ NA_Cobra and yenko boy saying it would be 470-500hp. For being GM fanboys they shouldn've known how GM builds their motors. Of course the vette will still move it is a big motor in a light car,should we really be impressed by that? Simple physics should tell you that. It is well known GM needs large displacement to give u avg numbers and if you want the numbers it should already have from the factory, crack the motor open and build it yourself because it isn't hard.

Blue collar simple technology so why wouldn't they leave it up to the blue collar American man to put a cam in to make the real power a 6.2L is suppose to make. And the mpg argument is stupid...if you are worried about mpg you shouldnt 'be looking to buy a vette..period

buddy the ONLY reason they make "BIG" motors is to apeal to baby boomers.

You dont need 6.2L to make 460 hp or 7L to make 505 hp.

Hell the only reason a z06 has a 7 liter motor is so old farts can say, "I got a 427 derp derp...I am old as dirt derp derp"

Users who are viewing this thread