2014.5 Ford Mustang Revealed (Jalopnik)

Jroc

Established Member
fordevosconcept123456.gif

That shit is hot.

I hope the new Mustangs look like that.

redline

Established Member
:dw:There are more than a few people on this very forum that were talking about how played out retro styling is. I'm not from the 60s and after extensive experience in driving muscle cars from that era I'm damn glad I wasn't. I'm all about Gran Nationals, STIs, Skylines, Supras, Foxbodies, SN95 Cobras, and 4th gen WS6 Trans Ams.

These new retro cars are so fake it is sickening honestly. Ford needs to let it go or Mustang will end up like Cadillac when its buyers die off, literally. The EVOs was a great concept and would be a good direction for Ford to go with the mustang. How many times do you guys think they can remake a 69/70 Mustang before people get sick of it? We've had the "tribute":xpl: since 2005, lets move on. If they want to keep selling a rehashed tribute car why not save some coin and do something, ANYTHING, with Lincoln so we don't lose another great brand while keeping the refreshed stang for a few years?

Mustang needs a departure from its past just like Cadillac did with the V series cars. I also would like to see Shelby's name removed from SVT's Cobra. GT500s were slow as balls back in the day and don't impress anyone with hands on experience with the 60's/70's muscle cars. The Boss 429 was a far superior car to what Shelby could ever dream of producing on the stang platform.
i do not see how you can say fake .thats what started it all .if it wasnt for "fake" you might be driving a kia.just think in 10 or so years they going to bring back the fox body .i wonder how many are gonna be screaming "fake".:rockon:

jonb347

Established Member
theyve already said irs, smaller, more aluminum, and not retro. they are full of crap. ford hasn't shown anybody. they didnt even show us at the dealer meeting two weeks ago and they teased the '13 shelby to us a year before

flS/R

Established Member
this is the image actually on the jalopnik article:

xlarge.jpg

this actually looks like what is pictured in car and driver this month. I like the tail lights, just could use some help with head light design

Lemers

Established Member
ford-evos-concept-630.jpg

ford-evos-concept-xl.jpg

Ford-EVOS-Concept-Car-2.jpg

ford-evos-concept-top-view.jpg

Ford-Evos-Concept-2011-8.jpg

2012-Ford-Evos-Concept-007.jpg

THIS IS NOT THE MUSTANG CONCEPT!!!! It is the EVOS; Ford's concept of design. In the upcoming remodels that Ford will be brining to market over the next few years each car is supposed to take design cues from this concept. The first to do so was the Fusion. I expect the grill and a variation of the headlights to make it on the next mustang, but as the rest the mustang fits into a certain category and I don't want Ford trying to make the Probe II by redefining the category that the Mustang fits into. I want the V8 and certain styling cues if it doesn't have that then don't call it a mustang.

Last edited:

VictorySong

Established Member
THIS IS NOT THE MUSTANG CONCEPT!!!! It is the EVOS; Ford's concept of design. In the upcoming remodels that Ford will be brining to market over the next few years each car is supposed to take design cues from this concept. The first to do so was the Fusion. I expect the grill and a variation of the headlights to make it on the next mustang, but as the rest the mustang fits into a certain category and I don't want Ford trying to make the Probe II by redefining the category that the Mustang fits into. I want the V8 and certain styling cues if it doesn't have that then don't call it a mustang.

I don't recall anyone in this thread that wanted to change the Mustang into a Probe. Some of us are just fed up with old ass recycled designs from the 60s and would like to see Ford build a new car. You guys who want to refresh the 69/70 Mustangs for the next 50 years like Porsche does with the 911 are delusional. The Mustang is nowhere near exclusive or even good looking enough to pull that off.

The fact is new buyers DON'T want a retro car. Look at the production numbers for the current body style and compare them to the SN-95 and New edge stangs. It isn't even close and is borderline embarrassing for Ford.

2011 Production:2011 Ford Mustang Production Numbers hit the web | Mustang Heaven (60kish#

94-95 Production: Mustang Heaven - SN-95 Production Numbers#120kish & 165kish)

Numbers don't lie, retro has lost its luster and is quickly becoming a loser for Ford. To be fair I also looked @ the production of the 98 Mustang, 1 year before the brand new body style was expected and they sold 198k Mustangs that year. Where is Ford at in 2013 while people wait for the new model? I would bet the farm on it being nowhere close.:D

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Im completely ready for something new....like when they went fox body and then sn95....something thats completely new

Jroc

Established Member
Im completely ready for something new....like when they went fox body and then sn95....something thats completely new

Actually the SN95 was very much not new compared to the Foxbodies. It was built on an updated Foxbody platform that was a little bigger, heavier, and stiffer. Still used a old SBF based 5 liter EFI motor with a T5 in the manual cars. Still had a 8.8 straight axle, etc.

Much of the cars where the same as is evident by the mods that will work on both cars.

Compared to a SN95 the S197's where actually very new.

Lemers

Established Member
I don't recall anyone in this thread that wanted to change the Mustang into a Probe. Some of us are just fed up with old ass recycled designs from the 60s and would like to see Ford build a new car. You guys who want to refresh the 69/70 Mustangs for the next 50 years like Porsche does with the 911 are delusional. The Mustang is nowhere near exclusive or even good looking enough to pull that off.

The fact is new buyers DON'T want a retro car. Look at the production numbers for the current body style and compare them to the SN-95 and New edge stangs. It isn't even close and is borderline embarrassing for Ford.

2011 Production:2011 Ford Mustang Production Numbers hit the web | Mustang Heaven (60kish#

Numbers don't lie, retro has lost its luster and is quickly becoming a loser for Ford. To be fair I also looked @ the production of the 98 Mustang, 1 year before the brand new body style was expected and they sold 198k Mustangs that year. Where is Ford at in 2013 while people wait for the new model? I would bet the farm on it being nowhere close.:D

I don't recall saying that I want another 60/70s updated design. I do want there to be some Mustang DNA in there. Something that when you look at the car without emblems you know it's a Mustang. But if it comes out as a BRZ wanna be I'd just get the 2014.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
Actually the SN95 was very much not new compared to the Foxbodies. It was built on an updated Foxbody platform that was a little bigger, heavier, and stiffer. Still used a old SBF based 5 liter EFI motor with a T5 in the manual cars. Still had a 8.8 straight axle, etc.

Much of the cars where the same as is evident by the mods that will work on both cars.

Compared to a SN95 the S197's where actually very new.

I'm assuming he's talking body design. No need to be so literal just for the sake of being an ass :shrug:

VictorySong

Established Member
I'm assuming he's talking body design. No need to be so literal just for the sake of being an ass :shrug:

I thought the comment was amusing when you consider the fact that the Fairmont came out in 1978 and the chassis was stolen from it to become the 1979 Mustang. By his logic, going from a 6 seat cruiser to the 4 seat foxbody probably wasn't something new or fresh either.:lol1:

Jroc

Established Member

No need to call me an ass for the sake of being a dick. SN95's car weren't completely new, and it's not hard to look at the two and tell that they are built on a similar platform.

VictorySong

Established Member
What's funny is everyone is so oblivious to the fact that younger buyers actually love retro styling.

That's not what the sales numbers I posted in this thread imply.:shrug: I'm young and think retro is for gray hairs and hipsters. I know I'm not the only one either.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member

Absolutely false. The Porsche 911 is a great performing car, but in it's past it always been known for being an ulgy bug eye'd flat assed car. Though it was perfected into a beautiful none bug eye'd not so flat assed car by the beginning of the 21st century.

The SN95 was kind of retro as well, seeing as it evolved from a mustang that looked like a cardboard box. The Foxes, and early Porsche 911's were the ugly ducklings of the car world.

In the 1980's it is a well known fact that people took lot's of drugs, and somehow came to the conclusion that car designs just weren't fair if they weren't square.

In the 1960's it is a well known fact that people took lot's of drugs, and somehow came to the conclusion that car designs were supposed to actually be sexy.

I think the difference here is cocaine vs psychedelic drugs.

Then again I'm joking...LOL.

04sonicbeast

Established Member
I agree with the above post! I always get compliments from people on my '12. I don't think I've heard any bad compliments except on here about the retro design. All I would ask for is a lighter car, IRS, DI, twin clutch Auto with paddle shifters, better weight distribution/or AWD. That would make a sick mustang. If that was put on the GT or a new Cobra I would have no problem paying upwards of 40k for the base GT. that would put it on par with world performance platform to compete with the best in all classes or tests not just straight line performance.

Users who are viewing this thread