2013 vs. 2007 injectors - effects on duty cycle

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Good post, seems like the 13 injectors aren't creating the headroom we thought. Wouldn't be better to go with some 72lb or 80s?

DaFreak

Established Member
Great info boogie. I just bought a vmp tvs, 40amp booster (single) and the 2013 (56lbs) injectors too so I'll keep an eye on this.

fullboogie

Established Member
Thanks, Freak. Is that single BAP going to work on your car? We have two FPDM's, so it's my understanding we need a dual BAP setup.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Good post, seems like the 13 injectors aren't creating the headroom we thought. Wouldn't be better to go with some 72lb or 80s?

That all depends on the goals you have for your car. Someone like me, I don't ever plan to run a lower pulley and am probably at the highest peak boost level my car will ever see with just a BPS upper pulley on a 13' TVS (I also have long tubes, so my peak boost is probably lower than boogies while peak RWHP is higher). So for that, the considerable cost savings in the 13-14 injectors vs. 72's or 80's is a no brainer. Sure I could get 72's or 80's but that would require a hell of a lot more money invested for very little or no return on my investment over the factory 13-14 injectors. Not to mention you get the benefit of having factory Ford injectors that are proven to work and have OEM reliability.
Even at boogies power level, if he decided to, he can add more power in the way of efficiency (long tubes, larger TB and intake, ported blower, etc...) and not necessarily increase injector demands by any measurable amount. Not to mention bringing the rail pressure up a little will decrease the injector DC some more. I think with slightly higher rail pressure, boogies final injector DC's would remain in the high 80% range at peak RPM leaving plenty of head room for even more boost.

Obviously if you plan to ramp the power up beyond the basic TVS with an upper and bolt ons set up, you'd much better served spending the money up front on 72's or 80's, but for me (and many others) the 13-14 injectors and a BAP have proven to be all I need to keep me safe and confident. If nothing else, Jay (Blwn04SVTcobra) has proven the potential of the 13-14 injectors and that's enough for me to be comfortable with them.:beer:

Honestly I hope this thread sparks some more people to log and post their duty cycles and mods. The more data we can gather on this, the more we can figure out the real cieling on them.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I get what your saying pistolwhip, I'm just thinking it might be better having to much fuel than a dc close to the max. Fyi, I'll be running a similar setup, tvs 2.4 upper only, fr 65mm tb, 127mm cai, o/r x pipe. I don't like the idea of running a bap so trying to decide on a injector, thinking 72lb at this point, thoughts?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Your car's an 11' so you don't really need a BAP at that point. Your cars pump voltage can be manipulated in the tune which kind of acts like a BAP. Jay put down over 700 RWHP on a notoriously low reading Mustang Dyno with 13-14 injectors. He was running an upper / lower combo, 72mm TB and I believe long tubes. Now that's probably running the injectors to their limits but still not to the point of failure. In my opinion, high 80% range is certainly not running them to their max or even scarry close to it. As I understand it there is a lot of head room in 5 to 10% DC as specially when your talking only getting close to low 90's at the very highest of your usable RPM range.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I doubt it would be massively different. They're still going to be supplying the amount if fuel required to maintain the commanded air/fuel ratio. Drivability might be noticeably different though.

DaFreak

Established Member
... Is that single BAP going to work on your car? We have two FPDM's, so it's my understanding we need a dual BAP setup.

I asked BJ the very same question and he told me the FPDM's can be wired to a single BAP and still be safe (for my power levels).

... Honestly I hope this thread sparks some more people to log and post their duty cycles and mods. The more data we can gather on this, the more we can figure out the real cieling on them.

Once I get the VMP TVS installed (and it thaws out) I will do some logging. I have a nice logging setup that includes boost and O2 sensor input. Other mods include 2.65 upper, 10% lower, 127mm MAF, CJ65 TB and O/R X.

fullboogie

Established Member
The only problem I've found when logging is having enough space to do WOT runs. First and second are useless, so you have to log in third gear. But at 6,200 rpm with 3:73's, that's a tad over 100 mph!

DaFreak

Established Member
The only problem I've found when logging is having enough space to do WOT runs. First and second are useless, so you have to log in third gear. But at 6,200 rpm with 3:73's, that's a tad over 100 mph!

I hear ya. Last time I did some logging I hit 125mph. If I get trapped at that speed things will get ugly.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The track is the best and most realistic condition to log at. Other than that, a dyno if you can get a few hours on one without killing your wallet.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
I'm also making over 700 rwhp on the 13 injectors. Pistol summed it up perfect, i dont plan on going past a tvs on my car so the 13 injectors will be plenty for me. LT's are going on this saturday along with a SCJ oval t.b. Hoping to get close to 750. I'll see where dc is at and report back.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
Well just made it back from my tuners place and the pumps duty cycle maxed at rev limiter. Time for a boost a pump finally, injectors were also close to max at 98%. Car made 747 hp and 744 tq on 91 oct at 18 lbs of boost. I'm more than happy with the gains from the throttle body and long tubes. The car made 689 hp and 711 tq before on 91.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
The track is the best and most realistic condition to log at. Other than that, a dyno if you can get a few hours on one without killing your wallet.

Exactly. The dyno doesn't allow for g forces. They make a difference.
And for what it is worth, 100 percent duty cycle on an injector isn't the horrible thing it is made out to be. They just don't meter and go wide open. For a couple of seconds.

We've been doing testing with my 07 and various intake /power/pulley combos.

It's all good if you're not running a lower. If you are, you need a VMP Fuel Pump Booster, too.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
2013 injectors

What are your thoughts after the install and testing of these 2013 injectors? Is it a noticeable performance difference? Is this something I should think about when adding a 3.6 KB to my car?

Will the 2013 injectors benefit my car with the current 2.8 KB set-up?

I also have 3.73's.

Thanks, Robert

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
The driveability is bone stock - I love them. But they're not a part that adds performance per se, in the sense that it's something you "feel". They support a new blower and bring duty cycles back to where they should be so as to avoid catastrophe. In my opinion, the '13 injectors are one of the best dollar values you can find. And Justin's tune is just perfect - he really knows what he's doing.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
I also have the 13 injectors. Going get some more go fast goods installed and dyno tuned tomorrow. Will see if I can get the duty cycles logs. Current mods in sig.

Users who are viewing this thread