2013+ Roush chin splitter people.

vortecd

Established Member
So has anyone contacted Roush to see what they had to say?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I have the Stillen and love the subtle but aggressive look. I also got Longacre rods for center support (Boss looking) but didn't put them on. Ultracla$$ic gave me the idea. If you want the Boss look for about $350 total. Go that route.

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
I was at Roush today for their open house and asked about this. He did say they had a couple and one was install error for sure. Said they left out 2 bolts in the middle. He also said they have been track tested at high speed and they never seen one fail.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I was at Roush today for their open house and asked about this. He did say they had a couple and one was install error for sure. Said they left out 2 bolts in the middle. He also said they have been track tested at high speed and they never seen one fail.

I would like to see one exposed to high speeds for a prolonged period with a head wind, such as on a highway

Nuar

Established Member

Thank you for posting that, made me feel a little more confident in buying one :p

D2M

Established Member
Mine completely off at the track this weekend taking the under splash shield with it. It ripped all the slip nuts right out of the bumper. This is about the 8th track day on this spoiler and it happened at the end of a long straight, estimated speed around 135.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Mine completely off at the track this weekend taking the under splash shield with it. It ripped all the slip nuts right out of the bumper. This is about the 8th track day on this spoiler and it happened at the end of a long straight, estimated speed around 135.
You might want to contact Roush with your findings and story as they still say that there are no issues.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
anyone make a good one in something stronger like carbon fiber that mount similarly? Or is it the mounting that can't handle the wind/speed? I have to believe these plastic pieces are deflecting quite a bit to do the damage that people are experiencing.

Nuar

Established Member
God damn it :(

It's the design... down force+kind of mounting+poor bracing to compensate for the downforce...
Sucks, i really like the way it looks :(

TheDivaDanielle

Established Member
it's not so much the design as it is that the thing is just soft plastic and super bendy. could have easily been built better to have crossbracing built into itself, but they were lazy. i mean the whole 13-14 stuff is just lazy. want a lower grille? cut up the stock bumper, want the fog lights? cut up the bumper, want the rear diffuser? cut the bumper. want the splitter? cut up the stock splitter.

20redfire03

Established Member
it's not so much the design as it is that the thing is just soft plastic and super bendy. could have easily been built better to have crossbracing built into itself, but they were lazy. i mean the whole 13-14 stuff is just lazy. want a lower grille? cut up the stock bumper, want the fog lights? cut up the bumper, want the rear diffuser? cut the bumper. want the splitter? cut up the stock splitter.

I agree with this. Adding any aftermarket factory piece you have to cut into the bumper. What gets me the most is the factory lower grille from roush, not the delete but I'm sure its the same way, you have to cut the mounting tabs or notch the mounting tabs. You're telling me the design team at roush couldn't design the lower grille to snap into place like the original factory lower?

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member

This x1000. It's pretty horrible they offer all these pieces to upgrade the look of your car, but once you do it, there is NO going back to stock. You're stuck with it. Your splitter tips off? Now you need a whole new front fascia.

It's stupid and pretty sad to be coming from someone like Roush.

D2M

Established Member
The splitter itself did not fail, the bumper cover failed. The splitter is producing too much down force for the small surface area of the little slip nuts to handle. The splitter is FUBAR as id drug the ground at 100+mph.. I have a remedy for this problem. I once owned a Toyota Supra TT and the splitter on that car was held on in a similar way however there was a strip of aluminum above the bumper cover mounting are which sandwiched the bumper cover and splitter. I will fabricate the same thing for the Mustang and insert the slip nuts in to the aluminum strip clamping the bumper cover between the aluminum and splitter therefore spreading the load across the whole mounting surface..

D2M

Established Member
Im all done. Went to Home Depot and purchased a 4ft 3/4" wide aluminum strip. I used the old Roush splitter as a template, cut and bent the aluminum strip to mach the curve of the bumper perfectly, drilled 6 holes, slid the factory slip nuts over the aluminum strip, riveted the strip to the upper side of the bottom of the bumper now I am waiting for UPS to sow up with my replacement splitter. Once installed you will never see this. I will crawl under the car and take some pics in a bit.. I believe this will be 1000 times tronger then the oem bumper cover. Next track day is in mid July at Pocono, 145 on the back straight will be the test..

Mikegee1028

Established Member
uploadfromtaptalk1403360513776.jpg

Happened to me over the weekend I had a feeling the design would fail

Nuar

Established Member
Well its official, those things just plain suck!
Looks great but its like playing rusian roulette. Every time you take the car out, you pray it will not take itself off for you.

Users who are viewing this thread