2013 or a 2008 KR?

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Ok, I know there is a world of difference performance wise between the two with KR only having 540 HP vs the massive 662 for the '13.

But - I've stumbled across a very rare opportunity to buy a 2008 GT500 KR in black with matte black stripes, one owner, with LESS THAN 1000 miles on it.

For a ridiculously low price (at least I THINK it is?) of mid-$40K. I know these cars sold for absurd numbers back then and have softened immensely but looking online, you hardly find any of them and if so, they are usually more than $50K+.

So, with so many of you guys having years of Mustang and Shelby experience, should I set aside the chance to buy a new '13 and snatch up this KR deal?

Which would you buy? I'm honestly leaning towards the KR for its exclusivity but man, I do love the '13.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Ok, I know there is a world of difference performance wise between the two with KR only having 540 HP vs the massive 662 for the '13.

But - I've stumbled across a very rare opportunity to buy a 2008 GT500 KR in black with matte black stripes, one owner, with LESS THAN 1000 miles on it.

For a ridiculously low price (at least I THINK it is?) of mid-$40K. I know these cars sold for absurd numbers back then and have softened immensely but looking online, you hardly find any of them and if so, they are usually more than $50K+.

So, with so many of you guys having years of Mustang and Shelby experience, should I set aside the chance to buy a new '13 and snatch up this KR deal?

Which would you buy? I'm honestly leaning towards the KR for its exclusivity but man, I do love the '13.

I wouldn't be surprised if the seller is selling the KR in order to buy a '13/14. :lol:

sandlizard

Established Member
Tough call for sure, from owning an 08 GT500 and now have the 13 GT 500
hands down the 13 is a better machine. From a Limited side I would buy the KR
neither will be an investment in the short run for sure. if given the chance i would
buy the KR now and buy the 13 or 14 in a few years.

GT500662

Established Member
If you are going to drive the KR....I would not buy it....however if you are fortunate enough to keep as is and keep the miles low...I think KR prices will come back and you will have a car that will be highly collectable down the road. If you are going to use it as a D Driver or even just drive it on a regular basis I would buy the 13, it is light years ahead of the KR

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
If your collecting, the KR. If your driving, the 13. Simple.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Brand new car with more horsepower? I'll take the 2013 any day over the KR.

Since there were over 1000 KRs made, it isn't really that rare since a bunch of people bought to put it away.

Cars aren't investments, have fun and drive the wheels off it while you can.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
If I buy the KR, I still would drive it but probably just not as much. I invest in other things for long term profit potential, not cars.

Photonut

Established Member
Other than the fact that ~1000 KR's were made, I'm curious what it is about the KR's that people seem to think will be "collectible" in 20-30 years? Assuming by collectible you mean "resellable for a high price"? (This is a genuine question, not meant as a snarky statement.) I know it will always be collectible as an example of a cool car, that just doesn't always translate to bankable - is there something about the KR that people really think will make it so?

I just got my 2013 and love it. I plan to own it a long time and drive it a lot, but I'm not holding any illusions about it being a good investment.

-Photonut

Last edited:

BUCKET

Established Member
I have driven an 08 KR. It's a beast, but given the owner didn't know how much replacement parts are for the front end is, he would have never let me

I have not driven a '13 but have a '13 Twin turbo boss
Like the other have said. If you plan on driving something, go with the '13. There is a reason most KRs are low miles... If you have to replace a hood, last time I checked it was 10,000$

Old article but may give you an idea which way to go
Shelby lowering price of $20k GT500KR hood after web outrage erupts - Autoblog

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
So you're willing to pay $15k over market value for some body parts wheels and a different intake?

Hang on I have ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.
Seriously though-
I owned a modded 08 GT500. The 13 GT500 is wayyyy more car. It's an absolute no broker.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
So you're willing to pay $15k over market value for some body parts wheels and a different intake?

Hang on I have ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.
Seriously though-
I owned a modded 08 GT500. The 13 GT500 is wayyyy more car. It's an absolute no broker.

I didn't say I was willing, just leaning that way but only due to the rareness. However, my first line of my post stated that there is no comparison performance wise.

In my last line of the original post I said I do love the '13. That is very true and that is for many reasons. Looks as well as performance!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
The '13 takes everything the KR had- and makes it better.

If you're gonna drive it. Get the '13 (or 14) and dont forget GE recaros

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Brand new car with more horsepower? I'll take the 2013 any day over the KR.

Since there were over 1000 KRs made, it isn't really that rare since a bunch of people bought to put it away.

Cars aren't investments, have fun and drive the wheels off it while you can.

X2.

For comparison sakes, years back I purchased a brand new 1995 Cobra R. I had to have it because it was 'rare'(250 built that year). Guess what? Over the course of ~8 years I managed to put 1,000 miles on it, then sold it for 10K less than I bought it for. What fun...:shrug:

Buy whichever one you want, but drive the damn thing and enjoy it.:beer:

Myfast70

Established Member
Buy the KR, sell it for a potential profit of $10k and then buy the '13/14 and be in it $10k less than expected!

Users who are viewing this thread