2013 or a 2008 KR?

JDJ

Established Member
ITS YOUR MONEY, do with it what you please. For the record I have a "13" GT500, in the garage because it has been snowing here since November. I AM PACING RIGHT NOW AS WE SPEAK, waiting for the season to change. SO I know that I could not have a garage Queen car. Again it is your money. I wish you the best.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I believe an 08 KR just sold on BJ for somewhere in the 40s. I spotted one just like the one you are looking at for 51k earlier this year. It was in Hemmings and the car was on the west coast. Had 150 miles on it. I thought about it and ended up ordering a 13 for the same reason everyone else said. I want to drive it and the KR will hold better value if it isn't driven

here is the car. sold for $72,600 with 4200 miles. so yes these are still worth money

2008 SHELBY GT500 KR Lot 754 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
Man, I am really torn. I am fairly sure I won't lose on the KR and may even make money.

But I also want a car I can drive - every day if I want. The '13 is sick and the one I've got locked down is black with red stripes. Pure evil.

BAS

Established Member
If its monetary gain, I am sure there are better investments. I'm in the camp of get what you love, enjoy it for what it is, and drive the tyres off it.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I really like the '08 KR especially since its an actual "Shelby-built" from LV & not just a Ford assemblied unit.....
If I had an opportunity for the KR at around $40K [like yours], I would call my insurance co & get an actual policy quote using VIN# to make my decision. I would place a regular policy 'cause I would definitely drive it but TRY to keep it under 5K miles a year.
>
With the $$$ that I saved versus buying my '12, I would definite ditch the 18' KR rims/tires [store 'em], slap on the Alcoa Supersnake 20's, store the OE hood & CF front splitter, and call VIS Racing to pick up an aftermarket CF heat/extractor hood.
Maybe, remove the front seats [& store'em] and go for the leather Recaro's for the driving. That way the $$$$$$$$$ parts are "saved" for the future...
>
That's what I would do...

dom418

Established Member
Other than the fact that ~1000 KR's were made, I'm curious what it is about the KR's that people seem to think will be "collectible" in 20-30 years? Assuming by collectible you mean "resellable for a high price"? (This is a genuine question, not meant as a snarky statement.) I know it will always be collectible as an example of a cool car, that just doesn't always translate to bankable - is there something about the KR that people really think will make it so?

I just got my 2013 and love it. I plan to own it a long time and drive it a lot, but I'm not holding any illusions about it being a good investment.

-Photonut

Because the KR is actually modified and numbered by Shelby American while the 13'-14' Shelby is modified by SVT and given a Shelby name plate. There will be close to 10,000 units of your model made when its all said and done. 1000 units built by Shelby or 10,000 mass produced units made by ford. It's easy to see why the KR, just like the Super Snake models will be very collectable some day. It doesn't matter they are inferior performance wise to the new model.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Because the KR is actually modified and numbered by Shelby American while the 13'-14' Shelby is modified by SVT and given a Shelby name plate. There will be close to 10,000 units of your model made when its all said and done. 1000 units built by Shelby or 10,000 mass produced units made by ford. It's easy to see why the KR, just like the Super Snake models will be very collectable some day. It doesn't matter they are inferior performance wise to the new model.

I somewhat agree with you, but your numbers are off. There was a total of 1712 GT500KR's built 2008-2009. Their will more than likely be somewhere around 8500 - 9000 2013-2014 GT500's.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I'm sure the KR will indeed be more collectible, but the 2013 is easily twice the car for a lot less money. Unless you buy mustangs simply to collect, the 13 should win, hands down

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I'm sure the KR will indeed be more collectible, but the 2013 is easily twice the car for a lot less money. Unless you buy mustangs simply to collect, the 13 should win, hands down

A 13 will be 10-17k more then the 08KR he is looking at initial purchase. The KR has taken its biggest depreciation that its going to lose. It will probably continue to lose a little bit of money but not as drastically now. The brand new 2013/14 that is being bought off the showroom floor is going to have a huge depreciation drop over the next 3-4years. Finiacially speaking the 08 KR is easier on the pocket book so it does make sense to buy. To me I loved the concept KR but hate the production KR wheels and 6cyl spoiler, so it lost some of its appeal to me. The 13 is a much better car hands down no one here has disputed that. The brand new 2013/14 bought for 60k will probably lose 10-15% of its value in a year. The Used 4 year old KR will probably lose less then 5% of its 45k. So in a year does the 2013 offer that price difference amount of excitement and satisfaction? Some it might, while for others maybe not. People vote with their wallets by what they choose to spend their earned cash on. For some 20k is such a small portion of their net worth. For others that's what they make in a year.

For instance in 06 I was going to order a 2007 GT500 for sticker(which was a "great deal" lol for STICKER!! Before paying sticker price is considered Dumb!)...Anyway when I went in to put my deposit down they wanted 5k over then because they had an offer from another dealer for more then that and was being "generous" willing to sell it to me for less then they could make on it. They sold that car to a guy(I know the guy) for around $52-55k. I went out and picked up an 03 cobra with 1,800miles on it for $25,500 OTD. The guy who bought the 07 traded it in on a 2011 getting around $30k for trade in. I have an offer on the table right now to sell my 03 with 57k miles for 21k. So in 5-6 years the 03 cost me 4k and the 07 would have cost me close to $20k. The 07 is a better car but to me not 15-20k better. Would I buy a 13/14 over a KR? Yes I would but that's because I like the 2013 way more. I would pick up a used one though.

Cars tend to be poor investments because its a gamble. I like driving and modifying them. I've cut up several "special" cars all in the name of going faster. If we were all doing what made sense financially no one would be buying a new car especially a sports car And certainly would not be modifying them or going racing. Talk about putting many dumb finiacial decisions together! Lol

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
A 13 will be 10-17k more then the 08KR he is looking at initial purchase. The KR has taken its biggest depreciation that its going to lose. It will probably continue to lose a little bit of money but not as drastically now. The brand new 2013/14 that is being bought off the showroom floor is going to have a huge depreciation drop over the next 3-4years. Finiacially speaking the 08 KR is easier on the pocket book so it does make sense to buy. To me I loved the concept KR but hate the production KR wheels and 6cyl spoiler, so it lost some of its appeal to me. The 13 is a much better car hands down no one here has disputed that. The brand new 2013/14 bought for 60k will probably lose 10-15% of its value in a year. The Used 4 year old KR will probably lose less then 5% of its 45k. So in a year does the 2013 offer that price difference amount of excitement and satisfaction? Some it might, while for others maybe not. People vote with their wallets by what they choose to spend their earned cash on. For some 20k is such a small portion of their net worth. For others that's what they make in a year.

For instance in 06 I was going to order a 2007 GT500 for sticker(which was a "great deal" lol for STICKER!! Before paying sticker price is considered Dumb!)...Anyway when I went in to put my deposit down they wanted 5k over then because they had an offer from another dealer for more then that and was being "generous" willing to sell it to me for less then they could make on it. They sold that car to a guy(I know the guy) for around $52-55k. I went out and picked up an 03 cobra with 1,800miles on it for $25,500 OTD. The guy who bought the 07 traded it in on a 2011 getting around $30k for trade in. I have an offer on the table right now to sell my 03 with 57k miles for 21k. So in 5-6 years the 03 cost me 4k and the 07 would have cost me close to $20k. The 07 is a better car but to me not 15-20k better. Would I buy a 13/14 over a KR? Yes I would but that's because I like the 2013 way more. I would pick up a used one though.

Cars tend to be poor investments because its a gamble. I like driving and modifying them. I've cut up several "special" cars all in the name of going faster. If we were all doing what made sense financially no one would be buying a new car especially a sports car And certainly would not be modifying them or going racing. Talk about putting many dumb finiacial decisions together! Lol

That there is the absolute truth. If I sold my 08 today I might get $30K and need to come up with another 40k to buy a new 13/14 with options and TTL. Why I will probably never buy a 13/14 GT500. Awesome car and very desirable. But, not worth an additional $30-40K over what I have now (to me anyhow). I already have traction issues LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread