2013 LS Build

Jabooh1

Established Member
Going to use this as my build thread. This will probably take a while so rather than starting a whole lot of small ones, I will post it all here.

THE SPECIMEN
2013 Black Boss 302 Laguna Seca #669
Purchased May 11th, 2013
Current Millage 12,743
Current Numbers 392hp 347tq
null_zpsf4b8e83b.jpg

#669 is my daily driver, roughly 30 miles each way to/from work. I try to get to a track 6-7 times a year. Wheels and tires changed, TracKey is used 100% of the time, lowered on Steeda Boss springs, and side exhaust open. I also have 2013 GT500 mufflers.
null_zpsd905edd1.jpg

null_zps3629994f.jpg

Starting off with a good base.

THE GOAL
I want to try to get to 500 rwhp but still be able to drive back and forth to work.

THE PLAN: ENGINE
I decided that I can dump $7k into her today but will probably get board later and want to feel the difference. Therefore I am splitting it into stages.

STAGE 1
1-7/8 Long Tube Headers
Catted H pipe (trying to keep the side exhaust)
AED Tune

STAGE 2
Cobra Jet Intake
Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body
4.5" CAI
AED Tune

STAGE 3
Comp Cams Stage 3 Cams
AED Tune (possibly work and tune at Triangle Speed shop)

THE PLAN: SUSPENSION
Switching brands here. I have Steeda boss springs, and adjustable panhard bar but am moving to BMR. Just ordered adjustable LCA, relo brackets both in red. Going to ditch the Steeda PHB when the BMR Watts comes out. Will also add, 3rd link, subframe connectors, and k member.

The LS shocks/struts are good but 5 might not end up being stiff enough. Probably go to Koni Yellow at some point.

So that's the car, goal, and plan! I will update when things change or complete a stage. Plan on getting dyno numbers between each stage so that I can quantify the difference.

Please feel free to post suggestions.

Last edited:

DallasBoss

Established Member
Sounds like a good plan. I'm contemplating your stage 2 upgrade, but my longtube and AED has made such a huge difference in power that I'll probably hold off for a while. Plus, I'll be switching to e85 shortly, which should make the car even more fun.

Btw, those CF5Vs look nice. I just bought a used set in matte black and can't wait to get them on. You going with Kooks headers?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Why not go catless? If you're concerned about it being too loud I can assure you that the '13 GT500 ab does a good job keeping the volume bearable. I'm on full Kooks longtubes, offroad H, side pipes and '13 GT5 ab and I've had no complaints.

BTW your mod list looks promising. Your 500rwhp should easily be achieved

darreng505

Established Member
And if you want a pair of QTP electric cutouts to turn the side pipes on/off from inside the car, I have a pair I'm selling. This way you COULD got catless on the h-pipe and straight out the sides yet control the degree of flow/sound with a simple switch.

And yes, the GT500's out back will give you a mild to wild exhaust at the touch of a finger.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Sounds like a good plan. I'm contemplating your stage 2 upgrade, but my longtube and AED has made such a huge difference in power that I'll probably hold off for a while. Plus, I'll be switching to e85 shortly, which should make the car even more fun.

Btw, those CF5Vs look nice. I just bought a used set in matte black and can't wait to get them on. You going with Kooks headers?

I love the CF5V's. The gloss gunmetal almost matches the LS decals. They sit nicely with a 305 in the back.

I am looking at Kooks and ARH. I want to keep the side exhaust so the choices are limited.

I will need cats to pass the visual inspection in Houston so will probably do the install with them. Then since Stage 1 is about $2,000, and the goal is to NOT get divorced, maybe add the H later.

DallasBoss

Established Member
It's my understanding that the power loss is minimal with the high flow race cats vs catless. On my GTO stroker, I ran both Kooks catless and catted and the dyno showed 5-10 hp difference, and was right around 500whp.

Jabooh1

Established Member
It's my understanding that the power loss is minimal with the high flow race cats vs catless. On my GTO stroker, I ran both Kooks catless and catted and the dyno showed 5-10 hp difference, and was right around 500whp.

Are the high flow cats the GREEN cats? There are two types of H pipes:
1) Catted ~$735
2) GREEN Catted $1150

Para81

Established Member
Your Boss looks great.

I like the rear "Boss 302" graphic in grey - where can I find that?

DallasBoss

Established Member
Are the high flow cats the GREEN cats? There are two types of H pipes:
1) Catted ~$735
2) GREEN Catted $1150

The standard Kooks cats are the "high flow" race cats, which is what I use. They will still cause a CEL light for catalytic efficiency when untuned. The "green" cats are supposed to not cause this CEL, and are supposed to flow well too as stated by Kooks, but I don't know how much compared to the standard race cats. I haven't seen any comparison tests yet.

Since I am tuned and don't have to worry about emissions testing in Texas, I just went with the race cats. Yes, I know catless will yield more power, but I don't want the catless fumes.

dmichaels

Established Member
Looks great, love the silver on black. Build list sounds well planned out (are you an engineer by chance?) and 500 whp should be attainable with that car. If you haven't checked out boss mustangs online, I recommend that too, some good builds over there and great additional info!

Also, Pete at TrackDaySolutions is a good friend - offers some great stuff and excellent advice!

Jabooh1

Established Member
Actually I am an Electrical Engineer/Project Manager for an oil and gas company in Houston. If I had the funds and time I would Dyno between each mod just to know the incremental increases. Planning is half the fun!!!

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member

Not to be rude or down grade any bodies car but doesn't it say Boss 302 enough...
I have a 12 with car cover, floor mats and the Torsen/Recaro's package... lets count how many freaking time this thing has Boss 302 on it...
Seats 2
Floor mats 2
Dash 1
That is just the inside, not counting the key
right and left doors 2
Intake 1
I bet I missed at least one... well the car cover says it too, but we wont count that one, anywho.

Eight times this thing reads Boss 302, from every angle, the only place it doesn't, the freakin trunk, now you want to put it on the back below the third brake light...
Thats crazy man, just crazy.

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Not to be rude or down grade any bodies car but doesn't it say Boss 302 enough...
I have a 12 with car cover, floor mats and the Torsen/Recaro's package... lets count how many freaking time this thing has Boss 302 on it...
Seats 2
Floor mats 2
Dash 1
right and left doors 2
Intake 1
I bet I missed at least one... well the car cover says it too, but we wont count that one, anywho.

Eight times this thing reads Boss 302, from every angle, the only place it doesn't, the freakin trunk, now you want to put it on the back below the third brake light...

Youre not the only one man. I totally agree.

Jabooh1

Established Member
Thank you.

Keep us posted on your build, would really like to hear clips once you get a LT's on this.

I find the sound to be amazing with just baffles removed but interested to hear how it changes....

I have a video of the change from OEM exhaust to '13 GT500 mufflers. I will edit it when I do the long tube headers and H.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Seats 2
Floor mats 2
Dash 1
right and left doors 2
Intake 1

I can understand wanting it on the rear. It might say Boss 302 everywhere, but everyone mistaking you for a sixxer from behind. annoying. Didn't pay nearly double the cost of the sixxer to look like one.

http://www.northamericantuning.com/2010_2014_Mustang_Boss_302_3rd_Brake_Light_Plate_p/nat-1812.htm is what I was looking at previously or replacing the deck lid emblem with a Boss 302 one. The LS guys luck out with the different faux gas cap emblem.

OP, the stock shocks and struts are not stiff enough IMHO. I have a set of Koni yellows from my previous 11 GT that are going on the boss, they make the 5 setting on the Boss a joke.

I actually DD'd with the Koni Yellows on full stiff and it was fantastic. That said, if you don't run some poly bushing LCA and UCA the stiffer the shocks go the more the rear bounces like a pick up truck with shocks that went bad.

Hate bonded rubber bushings with a passion.

Last edited:

Jabooh1

Established Member
OP, the stock shocks and struts are not stiff enough IMHO. I have a set of Koni yellows from my previous 11 GT that are going on the boss, they make the 5 setting on the Boss a joke.

I know the yellows are better than the Boss shocks/struts but how do they compare to the LS? The LS and Boss are different shocks/struts right?

I had yellows on a '95 GT and they were great.

Users who are viewing this thread