2013 Boss. MT-82 not liking 7000+RPM shifts?

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
Maybe the sure fire fix is a class action lawsuit, not for money but for these to be fixed.
I am surprise that so many guys (including myself) are more willing to try to fix this issue ourselves rather than taking it to Ford and letting them do it. BUT who really wants a tech taking your boss up to 7500 rpm god knows how many times to see if he fixed the problem?
It think it is wrong for us to pay $43K for a car, then have to immediately mod this for $375 plus to "see" if this fixes a Ford advertised 7500 rpm capable car.
Maybe if enough of us call the Ford tech line a TSB will be created for the fix. or better yet a recall (this will never happen) to have us all expert 7500 rpm shifters.

as far as the skip a shift for the 12's this is not active when using the red key so we shouldn't consider this a possible fault unless the computer doesn't deactivate it totally.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
It is unfortunate but the reality is, we (Boss owners) are still a small portion of Ford's overall business. Even then, a smaller portion of us are willing to run the car to it's full potential. I think if Ford knew what the issue was, it would have been resolved in the '13. What I'm hoping is Ford Racing will start to get involved being that us TracKey owners rolled our warranty over to their division. I agree with 5 DOT 0, it's interesting to see the upgraded clutch line show up on the new parts list.

As for the skip shift, some theories are the computer isn't completely deactivating. It was interesting to see George over at MGW state hitting the rev limiter will cause the lock out as well. Wonder if some folks are hitting the limiter at shift and causing the lock out. That's a theory I'm going to test over the weekend.

Jason

Last edited:

mtrsprt

Established Member
A street type synchroed transmission is much harder to get to cooperate at 7000+rpm shifts in almost any street type manual transmission with standard blocker rings/synchros. When you try to shift above 7000rpm, and your shifter handle just stops dead in the middle, you are experiencing mechanical denial basically.. The synchros are not slowing down enough to allow a completed shift. I don't think Ford took this into effect with the higher revving Boss engine, and just plopped the MT-82 in there and thought it would have to work fine.

Different types of fluids,shifters, shifter bracing bushings, etc. may help this issue some, but not always......

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
I saw you make a similar post on another thread. I agree with your comments, what still stumps me is the heavy clutch pedal. I've been polling anyone having this issue about the heavy clutch pedal. Those that don't have the issue say their peddle feel doesn't change throughout the RPM range, those that do have the issue say their peddle does get heavier in the higher RPM range.

What's causing the heavier peddle and does that have something to do with the issue?

mtrsprt

Established Member
What I have noticed is.....Clutch pedal always feels the same UNTIL I get locked out of my shift. The other night, I did feel that the pedal seemed to stick lower to the floor after. Once I put the car in gear, and resumed driving, the pedal was back to normal. This was all within a few seconds time frame. Maybe the hydraulic pressures at high RPM are a little too much? Causing excessive pressure in the hydraulic circuit of the throw out bearing/lines? This may cause the pressure plate not too release in a timely manner? Going on a whim here. lol. Lethal says they powershift the snot out of their MT-82 with just the addition of a shifter, and support bracket..... Not sure if they have swapped out the clutch assembly or anything else though.

Nickelpayday

Established Member
That's what I've been hearing as well. If the problem gets worse and Ford does nothing to fix it then I might consider getting the RXT unit.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Ford has been dealing with this problem since 2010, I would believe they would have fixed it by now if they were going to fix it. Or... moved back to the Tremec, which had it's own list of problems. I still think Ford is saying there isn't a problem worth looking at.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Guys this is my take so far.... Now I have not been driving my 13 Boss to much in the 7k+ range as it just has 1200 miles, but I have been locked out in 1-2 and 2-3. I come from years of drag racing and my shifting is.... well lets just say there are not many faster. When I go for a solid as fast as possible shift at 7K+... its seems to be a crap shoot... 50/50 it doesnt lock out. But, I move my seat one notch closer and slow it down (I know shouldnt have to) to just a quick and precise shift.... and it works everytime. I think the timing on the clutch release has to be right on the money or you are blocked. Lord knows in the old days I would sometimes muscle it in with little to no clutch...LOL But this tranny seems to require it to be perfect and deliberate.

2012YellowBoss

Established Member
Clutch sticking and lock-out are two different problems IMHO. I have had both and the clutch sticking problem seems to be fixed for me. The dealer replaced the clutch and PP, at that time I added a high flow line and since then the problem has gone away.

I have lock-out issues almost since day one, mostly 4th and 5th. I put the MGW unit in my car and love it on so many levels but it does not solve the lock-out and was never meant to. It has made getting into fifth much better and almost fixed Fourth but it is still there.

I watch all the threads and see the money being throw at the problem but I have yet to see a certain fix. Some have replaced the clutch and PP (non-OEM) others mess with the spring or change shifters. Every now and then one person says it works but then ten others come along and say no. To me the problem is the MT-82 itself. I am not an expert but judging by the majority of products that come out of the country where these are made, it does not seem these are being built precisely enough. If that is not the case then it would come down to a overall bad design.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Clutch sticking and lock-out are two different problems IMHO. I have had both and the clutch sticking problem seems to be fixed for me. The dealer replaced the clutch and PP, at that time I added a high flow line and since then the problem has gone away.

I have lock-out issues almost since day one, mostly 4th and 5th. I put the MGW unit in my car and love it on so many levels but it does not solve the lock-out and was never meant to. It has made getting into fifth much better and almost fixed Fourth but it is still there.

I watch all the threads and see the money being throw at the problem but I have yet to see a certain fix. Some have replaced the clutch and PP (non-OEM) others mess with the spring or change shifters. Every now and then one person says it works but then ten others come along and say no. To me the problem is the MT-82 itself. I am not an expert but judging by the majority of products that come out of the country where these are made, it does not seem these are being built precisely enough. If that is not the case then it would come down to a overall bad design.

Interesting that you say the MGW unit "does not solve the lock-out and was never meant to", as George himself posted on these forums stating that the lock-out issue is caused by the shifter and his unit specifically resolves the issue.

I'm not saying George is right or wrong, I'm just saying MGW is taking the stance that their unit does resolve the issue of lock-out.

Jason

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Interesting that you say the MGW unit "does not solve the lock-out and was never meant to", as George himself posted on these forums stating that the lock-out issue is caused by the shifter and his unit specifically resolves the issue.

I'm not saying George is right or wrong, I'm just saying MGW is taking the stance that their unit does resolve the issue of lock-out.

Jason
But they don't guarantee it will solve the lock out issues and it didn't for Scott. Regardless I ordered one yesterday so we'll find out.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
But they don't guarantee it will solve the lock out issues and it didn't for Scott. Regardless I ordered one yesterday so we'll find out.

I did notice that the request for a money back guarantee went unanswered. I'll be interested to see what you think of the piece. I've run MGW shifters in almost all of my past Mustangs but have done so for the shorter more positive shift. I've never used it hoping to resolve lock out issues.

Jason

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I did notice that the request for a money back guarantee went unanswered. I'll be interested to see what you think of the piece. I've run MGW shifters in almost all of my past Mustangs but have done so for the shorter more positive shift. I've never used it hoping to resolve lock out issues.

Jason
No we're good. I swapped emails with George. I was going to buy one sooner or later so now it's sooner. :beer:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
even if the mgw doesnt completely fix the problem it is still a drastic improvement over the stock POS shifter/assembly/

Users who are viewing this thread