2013 Boss. MT-82 not liking 7000+RPM shifts?

mtrsprt

Established Member
852 miles now on my 2013 Boss. Seems like I am getitng locked out of 2nd, and sometimes 3rd on aggressive 7000+rpm shifts. If I shift at 7K or below, it seems fine 90% of the time.....

Feels like the blocker rings/synchros are spinning to quick above 7K.......

Going to try to swap to Redline MTF, and maybe a Steeda Tr-Ax shifter unit also.

I have tried everything in the book. Smoothness of shift, speed of shift, clutch speed/timing everything........

Have any of you tried the 0-60 track app? Best I could do was 4.6 yesterday. Is this decent?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Easy solution....2012 Shelby GT500 clutch pedal assembly, Mgw shifter, SS braided clutch line, and dot 4 fluid. I shift my Boss at 7800rpms with no problems, not even a single mis-shift in 20+ consecutive drag strip pass's. I realize that is a lot of stuff to buy/install but it's a guarentee fix.

BPatterson

Established Member
It is not guaranteed, and I wish people would quit spreading that info. I've replaced everything as well, and am still being locked out above 6800. There are plenty of us who have replaced everything, and are still having shifting problems.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
It is not guaranteed, and I wish people would quit spreading that info. I've replaced everything as well, and am still being locked out above 6800. There are plenty of us who have replaced everything, and are still having shifting problems.

Do you have the Barton shifter bracket or an mgw? 2012 Shelby clutch pedal assembly?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
It is not guaranteed, and I wish people would quit spreading that info.
This. I'm about to pop for the MGW shifter and I hope it works but so far nobody is guaranteeing that it will solve the problem. From my perspective it needs to fix the lock out while tracking my car. Tracking a car is a lot different than driving on the street or drag racing.

legos_mustang

Established Member
When people are talking about having the 2012 Shelby clutch pedal assembly, are you talking about removing the assist spring found in the 2012 Boss or a complete purchase of a 2012 Shelby clutch pedal assembly.

I too am having this problem. I have the new clutch line and fluid installed. I have the shifter sitting on my desk as the next thing to have put in, but I'm trying to find a decent place to have it installed. Damn arthritis.

BPatterson

Established Member
I have the Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line, assist spring removed, which is the same as the GT500 assembly, and Motul fluid. When I go WOT, you can almost see the clutch pedal being pulled towards the floor.

FKing1

Established Member
Another 13 Boss owner told me MRT sells a trans bracket that solves the shift prob and he put it on his car.
Will go to MRT and try it.
Had a prob going 2 to 3 on mine at a track day July 4.

5 DOT 0

Established Member

FKing1

Established Member
Talked to MRT.
They said it is a Barton shifter bracket @ $109 and will cure the shifter prob..
I am going to have them put one on my Boss.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Talked to MRT.
They said it is a Barton shifter bracket @ $109 and will cure the shifter prob..
I am going to have them put one on my Boss.
The shifter bracket supports the end of the shifter and replaces the marshmallow support Ford uses. I have a Steeda shifter bracket and it did not solve the lock out from 2-3 and 3-4 for me. I'm also running Redline MTL in my tranny.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
For those of you seeing these problems, does your clutch pedal get heavier to push in these high rpm runs? I first noticed that when I ran the car up to 7K rpm that the clutch pedal got really heavy to push.

I'm stuck between a rock and hard place, I told myself I wouldn't start modifying the hell out of this car. I've got a dealership that loves to blame aftermarket parts for everything. If Ford doesn't have a fix, I can't expect the dealer to get it figured out but if I start trying to fix myself, I'm committing to carrying it all the way through on my own because the dealer will immediately start blaming the other mods for the issue.

Jason

Nickelpayday

Established Member
Yup, my pedal gets stiff the higher in the RPM I go. Really sucks to see this many 2013's having these issues. I thought Ford would have had all this stuff sorted by now.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
Also, worth noting for those like me that are documenting or tracking mods that "fix" or "prevent" this issue. 2013 cars eliminated skip shift, so it's not a problem with the skip shift in our '12 Boss'

Jason

5 DOT 0

Established Member
This is not just a 2013 issue...

There are two issues and while it's not clear to me they are related they could be. The sticking clutch issue and then the lock out issue. I'm not having any problems with my clutch just the lock out. With that said I'm also going to install the JHR clutch line.

FWIW there is no way a dealer is going to be able to replicate the lock out issue on my car while driving it on the street.

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
The reason I brought up my last comment is others on other boards were thinking that the skip shift module could be playing a role in the lock out problem.

I have been trying to find a way to replicate my problem every time so I can meet with the dealer and show them the issue so it's at least documented. Anything about 6800 RPMs my clutch becomes VERY heavy but I don't get locked out every time. The first time I got locked out, I had all three scenarios at once, heavy clutch, locked me out shifting from 1st to 2nd and the clutch pedal was slow to return.

I think my first attempt to "fix" is going to be Torque limiter from CHE, see what happens when I limit the amount of torque on the drivetrain.

Users who are viewing this thread