2013 A6 - What is this?

cb900f

Established Member
This usually sits between the intake manifold and the brake booster (if I remember right). After hacking it up for the Roush install and now swapping to the TT, do I need it? Looks like some sort of diaphragm or check valve?

Doing this from my phone. Hopefully it's not huge.

20150110_093513.jpg

Thanks!

Vert

Established Member
I think that's called the brake aspirator. I didn't have it on my vmp install.

Vert

Established Member
I have the pdf on the roush brake booster aspirator roush install but I can't figure out how to post. You can go to jegs and download it.

sharptech

Established Member
Mine runs to both my intake and intake manifold then to brake booster. I think the manuals are different, that is further back and only connects to the manifold. You might be able to delete it from the intake? I heard you have to change it for the boss intake manifold. Maybe someone that has done a boss mani on auto can chime in?

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Without this installed, you will not have any braking assistance while the car is in boost.

IMG_0390_zps388e55e5.jpg

Red arrow goes to brake vacuum hard line on intake manifold.

Green arrow goes to brake booster.

Green ovals are both capped off.

The trick is, the manifold should be able to suck and open the valve, putting vacuum on the brake booster. However, should not be able to blow and pressurize the brake booster. Under boost, the valve closes to prevent this.

Last edited:

cb900f

Established Member
Without this installed, you will not have any braking assistance while the car is in boost.

IMG_0390_zps388e55e5.jpg

The trick is, the manifold should be able to suck and open the valve, putting vacuum on the brake booster. However, should not be able to blow and pressurize the brake booster. Under boost, the valve closes to prevent this.
I did the exact same.

sharptech

Established Member

IMG_0390_zps388e55e5.jpg

So according to this we can disconnect the part going to the intake? That would be much easier with my setup, then I wouldn't' need to "t" into everything with my PCV valve on the Paxton. I wonder why they connected part of that to the intake then on the auto's? weird.

sharptech

Established Member
Wouldnt' the vacuum line going to the intake be for vacuum to the brake booster when manifold pressure is at 0 or greater? Running without it would cause no brake assist while WOT? but then why doesnt' manual have it that way?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Wouldnt' the vacuum line going to the intake be for vacuum to the brake booster when manifold pressure is at 0 or greater? Running without it would cause no brake assist while WOT? but then why doesnt' manual have it that way?
Thats what im thinking. I have a manual and im swapping to an auto. Im going to just use my stock one from the manual and not change anything.

sharptech

Established Member
Thats what im thinking. I have a manual and im swapping to an auto. Im going to just use my stock one from the manual and not change anything.

Maybe they did that on the auto's so we could powerbrake? lol soon as I get my car back from the shop I'll try it like listed above and test to find out with my Paxton. Im just using breather filters, would be nice to have nothing connected to the intake tube. Much cleaner.

sharptech

Established Member
Just an update, Installed as shown above, brakes work great, almost seems they are more touchy which I like. Not sure why they vented that to the intake stock though:shrug:. It feels fine under all conditions. Only thing I havn't tried is powerbraking, but don't care too much on that. Worse case is the pedal is a little harder to push down.

cb900f

Established Member
Just an update, Installed as shown above, brakes work great, almost seems they are more touchy which I like. Not sure why they vented that to the intake stock though:shrug:. It feels fine under all conditions. Only thing I havn't tried is powerbraking, but don't care too much on that. Worse case is the pedal is a little harder to push down.
Most likely you are getting more vacuum assist, which you may like. Increased pressure/boost beyond what factory intended will wear out the diaphragm prematurely.

Just a guess, but that's why it's there.

Users who are viewing this thread