2012 Mach 1 or Boss????????????

david068513

Established Member
I keep reading that there is gonna be another mach 1 or a new BOSS. Anyone got info on this. :??:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
i heard the 2012 GT500 is gonna have a twin turbo 5.0L and IRS

The 2013 is supposed to have a 6.2 DOHC with a sc/tt compound boost setup, with on-the-fly boost control by the driver from 0-25#.

No joke. I know somebody who knows somebody.

david068513

Established Member
glad you can make jokes at my question...I am just saying what I have read on here and car source artices on the web..

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I'll guess Boss 302

Boss302R004.gif

Boss302Rengine2.gif

Boss302Rengine1.gif

Black93Cobra

Established Member
The next Special Edition Ford will produce is the Boss 302 - Mark Fields basically indicated as such. Where it gets interesting is when we consider HOW Ford could make such a beast - either "tune-up" the base 5.0L or "detune" the race-bred 5.0L from the Boss 302R (which of course would be my personal preference!). Of course, a Boss Mustang will handle and brake so you can expect GT500-level and beyond handling and braking.

Ford more than hints at new street-legal Boss Mustang — Autoblog

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Considering what the new 5.0L is making with mild bolt-ons I think we could see an N/A Boss with DI that makes 450hp+ in a couple years.

Driver72

Established Member
Considering what the new 5.0L is making with mild bolt-ons I think we could see an N/A Boss with DI that makes 450hp+ in a couple years.

Ding Ding.

That's exactly what I expected.
It would of cost Ford only $200 more to put Direct Injection onto the 5.0
At first I thought, why the heck would they NOT put DI onto it.
It would of made the engine probably 425 hp and gotten another 1 mpg.
Then I realized, hmm, they are saving it for the debut of the Boss.
DI, better intake, better exhaust, better cams, rods, and headers.
You have 450-460 hp.
GT500 or similiar race suspension, Brembo brakes, LW wheels and sticky tires, along with no back seats and some other weight reduction to knock off 100-125 lbs from the GT weight and voila, Boss.
Priced at around $40k to start.
It will be a 2012 and 2013 only car.
2014 should bring a complete redesign of the Mustang chassis and body. And I'd bet will bring the IRS onto every Mustang then too. As well as bring the DI to the regular Mustang GT along with the 425 or so hp rating.

Driver72

Established Member
...+ R&D, + emissions, +...

Not sure about that, the $200 more is what Ford themselves reported it would of cost them to add DI

+ the inherent issues with DI.

Look into a bit and you'll see DI is not 100% roses

I've had 2 cars in the past 3 years with DI.
If done right, they are quite useful.
But, can be a problem with tuning if the HPFP can not handle additional fuel psi in order to handle the tunes.
There are pluses and minuses with anything. I've had good experiences with DI, but I know they can be problematic if not done right or a quality system is not used.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
If done right, they are quite useful.
But, can be a problem with tuning if the HPFP can not handle additional fuel psi in order to handle the tunes.
There are pluses and minuses with anything. I've had good experiences with DI, but I know they can be problematic if not done right or a quality system is not used.

Agreed, but taking a risk on such a popular car with rabid fans could be costly if issues arise.

Here is a an example

Porsche intake valves

Cayenne2.jpg
[/IMG]

Cayenne.jpg
[/IMG]

"The oil and other combustion by-products in the intake air come from the crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase is vented into the intake tract so that gases are burned rather than escape unburnt into the atmosphere. The crankcase has a lot of oil spraying around inside and the small droplets get carried along with the rest of the crankcase gases into the intake tract. The factory puts an oil separator in the tubing that carries the gases into the intake, but they're not 100% efficient and some gets by.

The small amount of remaining contamination hits the back side of the intake valve and gets burned on from the heat of the valve itself. It takes many cycles to build up but that's what engines do - many cycles over thousands of miles. What's worse, as the buildup collects, it insulates the metal valve from the cool intake air rushing into the cylinder, causing it to run even hotter, turning the coating of oily residue into hard carbon.

The after-market separator traps oil that got past the factory separator before it gets into the intake tract and that keeps it from collecting on the back of the valves. It doesn't solve the problem but it does slow it down a lot."

DI is only a bridge technology for the more significant changes coming for the IC engine.

Driver72

Established Member
Agreed, but taking a risk on such a popular car with rabid fans could be costly if issues arise.

Here is a an example

Porsche intake valves

Cayenne2.jpg
[/IMG]

Cayenne.jpg
[/IMG]

"The oil and other combustion by-products in the intake air come from the crankcase ventilation system. The crankcase is vented into the intake tract so that gases are burned rather than escape unburnt into the atmosphere. The crankcase has a lot of oil spraying around inside and the small droplets get carried along with the rest of the crankcase gases into the intake tract. The factory puts an oil separator in the tubing that carries the gases into the intake, but they're not 100% efficient and some gets by.

The small amount of remaining contamination hits the back side of the intake valve and gets burned on from the heat of the valve itself. It takes many cycles to build up but that's what engines do - many cycles over thousands of miles. What's worse, as the buildup collects, it insulates the metal valve from the cool intake air rushing into the cylinder, causing it to run even hotter, turning the coating of oily residue into hard carbon.

The after-market separator traps oil that got past the factory separator before it gets into the intake tract and that keeps it from collecting on the back of the valves. It doesn't solve the problem but it does slow it down a lot."

DI is only a bridge technology for the more significant changes coming for the IC engine.

I agree too. I remember when Port Injection was the s--t.
DI just needs some time to work things out. But currently it offers more performance, better fuel economy.
What do you feel will be the "more significant" change for fuel injection?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
whether DI will be a good thing for enthusiasts(or whatever) or not is irrelevant, because it's pretty much a fact that we'll be seeing it in the mustang in the near future(without a doubt, within 5 years. the '14½ anniversary is my bet).

as far as the future of internal combustion, HCCI(homogeneous charge compression ignition) is without a doubt where it's at. right now, it's basically all about someone willing to take the risk. using conventional materials, durability(while still retaining the characteristics of spark ignition) is the biggest problem. we already have materials - both metal and composite - capable of withstanding the forces involved in internal combustion, but no one is willing to take the risk(look how long it's taken diesels to get aluminum cylinder heads, engines to get spray bore liners, direct injection to replace port injection, fuel injection to replace carbs, etc.) and take the initial hit in R&D costs. hell, we could legitimately build an engine out of plastics, but no one has done it.
the ultimate ICE engine IMO would be a composite rotary(plastics, carbon fiber, kevlar, whatever. i'm not a materials scientest i just know the possible candidates exist, lol) HCCI engine with direct injection, solenoid operated valves(i can't beleive we still don't have these!), varaible intake, and runs hydrogen. of course it's a cold chance in hell that we would ever see anything like this, it's an interesting thought. good efficiency(MPGs), very lightweight, high power to weight and power to displacement, very small size, and great emissions(alright, i don't really care about that one, but it sounds good).

Users who are viewing this thread